Ilumination

The Potential Problematic Future of DayZ Server Hosting

I agree with the OP, now to read the rest of the pages.

@Vipeax

There should be a choice where server owners can have their own database, or have a central database among their own servers, or the unified version of how servers are now.

If we are investing money to promote and host games for the community, we should be able to have the authority to do what we want if it's on our own server database, if it's how the current structure is, I completely agree with how it is.

I also assume that when the game get's beta enough or launches, there will be a charge for the game, so, I don't see a problem, as this game his so much potential, anyone will be willing to shed out $20+ for it.

I myself want to run a serious role-playing server, however I've recently sent in an e-mail to further this situation. A single sided database where we are in full control would be interested, with the option of having a universal database as it is now.

^ This could be the solution for reserved slots, etc, nothing to worry about as what happens on the "private" servers, stays there.

I also see kids bitching and complaing in the server section if the server is passworded for more than 10 minutes, seriously. If I'm paying $100+ month and can't get these immature selfish kids out? Than I really don't see it feasible, they complain and bitch about something they are getting for free, free to play on, free to play.

If there is a subscription monthly, they may be filtered out.

I also see kids bitching and complaing in the server section if the server is passworded for more than 10 minutes' date=' seriously. If I'm paying $100+ month and can't get these immature selfish kids out? Than I really don't see it feasible, they complain and bitch about something they are getting for free, free to play on, free to play.

If there is a subscription monthly, they may be filtered out.

[/quote']

This. 10,000 times this.

I had two...count em....two posts put up about my servers last night being locked. They actually counted the hours that they were locked on the thread. Pathetic isn't it.

And here's the thing....it wasn't locked for any other reason than we use Battle Eye control to curb the flow of people coming into the server.

Once 5 people queue up, it locks the server. Once they get in, it unlocks.

So many tears over this last night, it was pathetic.

What they don't seem to grasp fully is:

THE SERVER ADMINS DON'T ANSWER TO YOU. YOU ARE GETTING A FREE SERVICE FROM US. CUT THE CRAP.

I would NEVER in my right mind $20/month for this game or any game for that matter and I don't agree with reserved slots.

I would NEVER in my right mind $20/month for this game or any game for that matter and I don't agree with reserved slots.

Why would you have to agree or not? You're also one who wouldn't pay $1xx+ a month to host a server.

@WildGunsTomcat

Exactly, it's why I like to propsoal an option to host a local database server for those who want full authority.

Edit: There could be "Offical Servers" That are listed, and are the unified databases, like how it is now, with the options of other server admins to have their database per server.

Why would you have to agree or not? You're also one who wouldn't pay $1xx+ a month to host a server.

@WildGunsTomcat

Exactly' date=' it's why I like to propsoal an option to host a local database server for those who want full authority.

Edit: There could be "Offical Servers" That are listed, and are the unified databases, like how it is now, with the options of other server admins to have their database per server.

[/quote']

I like that idea actually. Individual databases for people that want it. That way your stuff would persist on that server only...and it would stop all this bickering.

I like that idea actually. Individual databases for people that want it. That way your stuff would persist on that server only...and it would stop all this bickering.

I'm glad you agree.

Yes, it would also give you the authority to do what you want, and be respected, not treated like shit like how most adminstrators I see on this forums are.

Benefits:

- Reserved Slots

- Donation Pools

- Spawning of items(Admin controlled)

--> If admins get out of hand, there are several alternatives in terms of servers. (Wouldn't matter if it was abused, since the Database is on the local server)

With this I can finally run a role-playing server, with a character sheet application, and a whitelisting system. I know there are a lot of role-players whom would want to role-play in DayZ, it's an amazing platform to do so.

Reserved slots should be like this (example 40 slots server):

- Two reserved slots -> 38/40 (guest players cannot join -> full)

- Member joins -> 39/40

- This will stay at 39/40 until someone (guests/members) disconnects -> back to 38/40 and "full" for guests

No kicking, no frustrated hoster group, etc.

Reserved slots should be like this (example 40 slots server):

- Two reserved slots -> 38/40 (guest players cannot join -> full)

- Member joins -> 39/40

- This will stay at 39/40 until someone (guests/members) disconnects -> back to 38/40 and "full" for guests

No kicking' date=' no frustrated hoster group, etc.

[/quote']

Yes this works well, or as stated, the numbers can go above maximum (For admins, etc).

Hi Ilumination, just thought id add my opinion.

My gaming community happens to make a decent amount of money' date=' enough surplus to fund a DayZ server. But, how long will this last when server owners are completely unallowed to conduct any in-game perks in exchange for donations?

[/quote']

I am 100% against any kind of in game perks for cash especially in an alpha period where everything breaks and items get lost all the time anyway.

In game, i think everyone should start on equal footing. Lone survivor with the same gear as everyone else. I dont think people should be able to pay for an advantage or item.

Perhaps some kind of reserved slot system for donations would be acceptable.

(If you're not spending this much' date=' wait until you're required to host MySQL on the same box as well, as they eventually plan on localizing Databases)

[/quote']

Run xampp or some thing else that has MySQL for free in it, problem solved.

Besides a couple of staff members that run servers for the DayZ community' date=' DayZ Devs and Staff are currently relying on established and inspiring server owners to produce and maintain more and more places for players to play. This in itself is okay, but it's not okay in this case because again, we have no way of generating donations for our servers. With this logic, we are being told, "Thanks for hosting a server at 100 percent your pocket expense with no way to recuperate that expense." Yeah. Again. This is only going to last so long before server owners get fed up with it, or just simply run out of money to run their server.

[/quote']

Im assuming many of these people were running ARMA2 servers previously? Whats the difference if you were hosting ARMA2 already? Suddenly they need compensation?

If people have gone and purchased servers, I thank them and say good on you! However IMHO they should not then turn around and demand some thing in return for their generosity.

Currently its very chaotic, with a lot of new people around trying the mod and people still having a lot of issues connecting. Im betting that it will settle on a more stable smaller player base, and there will be many empty servers.