Thats right, zombies that are traditional.

Currently, Zombies are almost impossible to lose once they turn from a staggering mob to Sonic the Hegehog, moving faster than you run yet slower than you sprint. The only real option is to run inside a house, making them begin walking. This is very tedious, and also pretty meta-gamey, because you are abusing bugs to survive. Sure one could just turn and shoot, then get cornered and knocked down, then stunlocked until dead, but then again, you die.

Traditional Zombies are almost always in a large group, and will shamble towards you, like a writhing mass of death. You can outrun them, hide from them, and maybe if you are lucky kill them. But forget abut their presence will leave you a dead man. By tripling the spawn rate of zombies, and the spawn cap aswell, these walking zombies will pose an equal threat to the players, and will use up more ammo if alerted, they will also be able to be lost, thus making this a big element change, with stealth becoming more prominent.

Walking Zombies would be a great change for the better in my oppinion, both aesthetically, gameplay wise and maybe difficulty-wise, if their damages/health were upped a fair bit aswell. Maybe an increased item drop rate from zombies will give an incentive to players to take on a hoard.

tldr - Walking zombies are better, vote for them today.

• Like 3

I would think walking zombies would be waaay to easy, and the only way to make them on par is to add more. Which would make more lag.

The only thing I would change about the running zombies is their zig zag sprints. I almost never shoot one sprinting at me until he hits me at least once, cause he just shoots right out of my sight and hits me first.

• Like 1

No way.

I would perhaps accept the idea of adding walking/quiet zombies to towns on top of the runners purely for a different kind of fear.

What warns you of z's? moaning and screaming. imagine one that walked to you and only made a light mumble. so at times where you are looting or resting you should always be mindful of the silence.

• Like 1

The only real option is to run inside a house' date=' making them begin walking. This is very tedious, and also pretty meta-gamey, because you are abusing bugs to survive.[/quote']

I completely agree with you, STALKERdolg. Unfortunately, almost everyone mentions this as a solution whenever there is a suggestion regarding zombie speed.

Personally, I do not think that zombies in DayZ should be identical to "traditional" zombies, but I absolutely support the idea of slower zombies.

Currently the zombies in DayZ are reaching speeds on the brink of teleportation, and this is not okay. It seems the server can't even handle it and the result is a skippy, untargetable, and unentertaining zombie.

Sometimes you just don't "GOTTA GO FAST"

A way to increase diffilculty of slow moving zombies, is to give some of them guns! Just like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :)

Not very traditional, but superfast zig zagging zombies arent either.

The first thing i thought when walking around in Day Z is that it has a similar atmosphere as S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which is a big compliment to the makers!

One way to make slower zombies a challenge is for the traditional head shot kills only. Maybe two or three shots the the legs to incapacitate them also (like we have now). Shots anywhere else just bounce off them. Even with those suggestions it would be to easy to just run away.

If we had bigger cities with narrower streets, and alleys that could lead to dead ends. Any player can be in serious trouble if caught by a horde of Zeds with no where to run. IMO slower zombies can only really work if you have no other choice but to fight them off.

A way to increase diffilculty of slow moving zombies' date=' is to give some of them guns! Just like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :)

Not very traditional, but superfast zig zagging zombies arent either.

The first thing i thought when walking around in Day Z is that it has a similar atmosphere as S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which is a big compliment to the makers!

[/quote']

I'd love to see a few zombies capable of shooting (though many would disagree.) Possibly a rare that will fire inaccurately and be stuck to what's loaded at the time; it won't hold much of a challenge but if it manages to get 2-3 shots in you'll be dead (Or at least knocked-out.) No pistols either, more along the lines of hip-fired rifles. The zombie itself wouldn't be a huge threat, but the idea of it luring others to its gun-fire would be an interesting concept.

Otherwise I would take a small nerf on zombie-speed for a moderate boost in health (Also multipliers so a head-shot is more effective with weapons like the Winchester than hitting the body.)

There is another option, i agree, fast almost teleporting zombies that strafe faster than your eyes can move is bad, however running into a house then out is the way to deal with that, however, if the zombies were NOT walkers, but maybe just joggers, [ie run as fast as a crouch running player] that would make you HAVE to stand up and sprint to get some distance, therefore attracting the attention of EVERYTHING around you.

Another thing is just add a new zombie? i was thinking about a screemer type zombie, basicaly blind, so if you were right infront of it not making noise it would just walk on by, however if it heard you it would look in your direction, wait a few seconds and if you moved another inch it would howl or screem and allert EVERY zombie in the town, making them swarm around the screemer [not the player] however that would put every zombie around the screemer and if the screemers in a house you will need backup.

That brings me to the solution of pvpers just shooting first without the thought of teaming up. This way you would need a few players to actualy get into towns and survive.

Whats your views on that?

Would like to see test servers with only walking zombies on them, i can bet you would need approx 3-4 times more zombies for them to be any kind of danger for the players and i suppose that would be too much for the servers to handle? As grandpa_smuckers said, they are moving way too fast as the servers can't always handle the speed thus making them almost impossible to hit.

Zombies with guns is a no-go.

It's probably the biggest issue I had with STALKER.

Agreed. Turned me away from STALKER for a long, long time before i found a mod that changed 'em to larger hoards of walking zombies.

In my opinion zombies should be like this:

They are like humans, but dont need to drink, sleep, eat, or feel pain.

Zombies are stupid.

When someone turns into a zombie, this zombie will walk with normal speed, if they see someone they will start to run and continue to run until they get the guy.

After sometime, he wil will walk with slow speed and be unable to run.

You kill zombies like you would kill someone in real life (excluding by reasons I said before)

What about walking zombies which are only killable with a headshot? This seems like a good solution. In addition zombies who were freshly spawned could move faster than zombies who were decomposing longer than the freshly spawned. And you would have to turn up the zombie count to like 2-3k zombies per map to make them a threat, which would lead to server lagging. I somehow feel more comfortable with the "classic zombie" than superfast-special zombies who are shooting acid from their mouths and laser beams from their eyes while wielding two miniguns which are filled with futuristic plasma-ammo. I'm just trying to orient myself on the zombie survival guide. In my opinion its the most "realistic" zombie scenario.

walking zombies are a joke, there is no threat what so ever. I do agree with the increase of numbers/faster spawn rate for zombies. You are to avoid these things like the plague. Making them slow just makes them too easy to kill, you can sneak around, not make noise, silent melee a zombie, threat is gone, and you don't alert the village. IF we make zombies have walking speed, you can just run, turn around and shoot them without any danger of getting hit. You running for your life while they are inches away adds the fear of stopping even for a second can cause your death, and you got a split second to either get a good shot or have others cover your back. You are nothing more than food to these things, they will get you if you don't sneak, stay away, or have a group.

• Like 1

So many zombie experts in this thread :p. Personally I love the "28 days later" style of zombies we have in DayZ alot more then the "classic" slow moving stumbling braindead ones. They wouldn't be half as scary as the current ones.

Yes, they are hard to shoot and can be very deadly, which is why you need to try to avoid them if possible. People really underestimate the stealth aspect of this game. Go prone, crawl, use flares to distract etc... Shooting should be your last resort.

• Like 1

A small percentage of zombies with guns would be totally realistic. The zombies in this mod are after all infected people, in a world with guns. And sickness is a gradual proces. So why not have some zombies who are 'half way'. Personally, i thought it worked great in STALKER.

I know its a inconventional idea, but it is 'realistic', in a way.

Walking zombies are easy to implement. The problem is you need more of them. I'm not sure the servers will handle the extra load.

They are UNDEAD zombies. Just make them take more damage (everyone knows you're supposed to shoot zombies in the head anyway).

What is more difficult: When each zombie takes one bullet or ten? Given the lack of ammo, you won't be able to kill all the zombies in a town, which makes you pick and choose your targets carefully. This makes gameplay much more of a thinking game instead of a run-and-gun.

A small percentage of zombies with guns would be totally realistic. The zombies in this mod are after all infected people' date=' in a world with guns. And sickness is a gradual proces. So why not have some zombies who are 'half way'. Personally, i thought it worked great in STALKER.

[/quote']

How you can put 'Zombies' and 'realistic' in the same sentence is beyond me.

Even if we were talking about traditional zombies/infected, they don't have the capacity to use hand-eye coordination so seeing a zombie use a gun in any sense just seems too ridiculous.

If anyone here has ever played a resident evil game they know walking zombies can be a terrifying surprise.

If they were to be implemented, here's how I would like to see it:

- Find the majority of them in towns, very rarely in woods

- Spawn more commonly inside buildings (forced closer quarters)

- Silent. No screaming sounds so they can easily sneak up on an unsuspecting player.

For added difficulty, I like Caphoras suggestion: Killed instantly with headshots, takes more body damage.

IMO, this would be a fantastic addition and would add a very tasteful variety to this incredible mod.

A small percentage of zombies with guns would be totally realistic. The zombies in this mod are after all infected people' date=' in a world with guns. And sickness is a gradual proces. So why not have some zombies who are 'half way'. Personally, i thought it worked great in STALKER.

[/quote']

Even if we were talking about traditional zombies/infected, they don't have the capacity to use hand-eye coordination so seeing a zombie use a gun in any sense just seems too ridiculous.

Urgh, the STALKER Zombies were terrible shots that hip-fired in your general direction. Considering in Arma II most of the military and police-men have years of training I would assume they'd have a well-enough instinct as a zed to understand, 'I squeeze, gun fires.'

The real-issue is that the game won't meet everyone's expectations. 'Real-Ghoul fanatics' want slow-moving invincible walkers that can only die when the brain is completely destroyed as well as screw anyone over if they manage to give a living human so much as a paper-cut.

The average zombie lover wants a challenge where the zombies aren't slow as bricks but aren't the teleporting speed-racers that they are.

Stalker fans want something rather unique in zombies where they're actually capable of remembering skills they've spent years acquiring (I swear a Romero-movie had a ghoul fire a gun.)

For me personally I want slow-walkers with the combination of assault rifle hip-firing zeds :S

Even if we were talking about traditional zombies/infected' date=' they don't have the capacity to use hand-eye coordination so seeing a zombie use a gun in any sense just seems too ridiculous.

[/quote']It's hypothetical realism. Thats what a convincing zombie apocalypse is, especially when its about a fast spreading viral infection. Armed survivors who get infected are still armed, only with decreasing vision and reaction speed. The Stalker-zombies were very poor shots, slow and very easy to kill when alone. But at night, and in numbers, they could become a serious threat

Dont get me wrong, i prefer large hordes of more traditional zombies, but an occasional armed zombie can really add challenge without having to spawn too many infected to balance difficulty.

I have one tip for you.

run backwards until that zombies is going to hit you. when he does you shoot him. thats easy.

zombies so far are so easy to kill and avoid.

If anyone here has ever played a resident evil game they know walking zombies can be a terrifying surprise.

If they were to be implemented, here's how I would like to see it:

- Silent. No screaming sounds so they can easily sneak up on an unsuspecting player.

For added difficulty, I like Caphoras suggestion: Killed instantly with headshots, takes more body damage.

IMO, this would be a fantastic addition and would add a very tasteful variety to this incredible mod.

- THIS

What joeyslucky22 said deserves a medal,

this is exactly what DayZ should have, imagine that in a zombie apocalypse,you must survive...and eat.....and drink....

BUT!!!!!

You do not know what you will face after, all of us have the "traditional" zombie or the l4d one in mind...

imagine if for each area of chernarus you had a different type of zombie with a completely different behaviour! which brings us to what joey said:

In inhabited areas like cities and villages there would be slow walking zombies, the walkers with slow speed and different attributes

( one can be with a lot of health ( a headless zombie ), the other with headshot-only style ( the "traditional one" ) ,

there could be those slow crouching ones and/or fast ones

(with the latter having little health).

In forest areas and generally off-city areas would be hunter lodges, where then-humans where hunters, using rifles and civilian hunting guns

which could act as the zombies in S.T.A.L.K.E.R , meaning they would have low accuracy but they WOULD SCARE THE HECK OUT OF YOU, because imagine a bullet landing a few meters away in the middle of the darkness ( you would have to think: is it a zombie or a bandit? ).

And since fast zombies are already in-game, why not have them too?

i already mentioned them before but they really can fit everywhere!

( what if some of the more fit people who died did not decay fast enough for their stamina and muscles to be destroyed? )

---------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO i dont believe theres something impossible about a zombie apocalypse, OR realistic or not....everything can happen, even zombie dogs and animals can ( would fit very good in woods :D )

Where theres a will there is a way, so i suggest both the devs AND you to start imagining more ways to deal with your favorite kinds of zombies and how to implement them :)

Happy feedi-living :P

I'm a big fan of the slow, dumb zombies. That being said I don't think this mod would be all that challenging with them as the 'majority' -- I really think we need a mix of zeds.

- Slow, dumb and difficult to kill zombies (most of the in-town zeds) and they don't really roam much

- "Monkey" zeds (already have 'em)

- Fast zeds, like we have now but without all the glitchy zig-zagging, usually found on the outskirts of towns (would make legging it from a bunch of slow guys a pain in the ass when you knew fast ones were waiting outside).

Basically more variety would keep things challenging and fresh. Could possibly delve a bit into the L4D style of zombie variety as well, just not too much. Perhaps the "monkey" zeds could be kinda of like the hunters or jockeys from L4D2. Perhaps add a screamer of sorts in there. But I think a boomer/witch/tank/smoker/spitter is a bit too....ridiculous for this game.

Why not both, you have the walking zombies that come in "hoards" if you may and then you have the running screaming zombies that might be in pairs but not more to top this of you have

Which has been mentioned already but, decrease the amount of ammo, make it valueble , make it situational. Add more Melee Weapons that would fit the surroundings, i mean you can prob find axes, pikes, bats and stuff like that around the place, even knifes.. The point is to survive and not slaughter zombies.