rushua

Some little secrets (tactics)

I know there are many tactics you can use in DayZ to avoid been killed by the 'average Joe'. From my experience, its always about been smart; especially with positioning. A good think that I always try and do is to get into the mind of my 'enemies', try and work out what i would do in their situation, and attempt to counter it. For instance, i was in a 1 vs 3 firefight on the northwest airfield (me been the 1). I killed all three guys by been smarter and unexpected. Usually, I would expect the average player been fired on by three guys to attempt a rambo-style spray and pray, so i did the opposite. I ran back in the hedges and laid down in a bush. After about 10 minutes, the players assumed that I had combat logged and resumed their looting. I kept close to the group and waited until they entered the barracks. They had, and would be expected, drawn a lot of zed attention and were busy fighting them off. All three were, at this moment, inside the barracks. I crept up the window, and shot two of them dead in an instant. The third one fired back, so I ran off and laid down near a tree. The only thing I could see was the barracks exit. The third guy was clearly alarmed by my presents and ran out of the entrance, attempting to get behind the barracks. He didn’t make it.

Another really important thing in DayZ is a pair of headphones with directional audio and clear bass. I had, up to recently, a pair of Razer Orca’s. Not the best, in terms of audio quality, but they gave a clear bass and direction. I owe many kills (and rescues) to the directional performance of the Orca’s. This is because of three things. The first is that I could hear a car engine from MILES away, much further than any of my friends. This is a tremendous advantage as it gives you extra time to plan an assault, or to retreat. It also allows you to accurately guess where a vehicle is (in a city) if you cannot see it. This has also proved to be useful because you know when the vehicle has switched off its engine, and its whereabouts. The second/third advantage is been able to tell which direction footsteps/zombies and gunshots are coming from.

Some basic advice I have for improving kills/ avoiding death in DayZ are:

Never go into a building with only one exit, unless you HAVE to.

Get some good audio gear, it is worth the investment.

Play smart, try and out think your enemy – brains vs brawl.

Never fire the Lee-Enfield in a city.

Patience – other players don’t have it, if you do, it can serve as a distinct advantage.

• Like 8

I can't agree with audio. I had the same argument on xbox. It's one thing hearing someone but reacting to seeing them is completely different. If I can hear someones footsteps then it's too late for me to do anything

I can't agree with audio. I had the same argument on xbox. It's one thing hearing someone but reacting to seeing them is completely different. If I can hear someones footsteps then it's too late for me to do anything

Audio is really usefull.If you dont come face to face with a guy,hearing them is the first thing you wanna do.if you know their whereabouts you can attack or hide.its really usefull especially for building clearring,if you just rush in you'll get killed,or get lots of damage,but by using the sound the others make,helps you organize.plus,it helps knowing how many enemies you got as well.I know better than you,my prof picture is you crying XD

Edited by IcyZ
  • Like 3

,my prof picture is you crying XD

I was just eye sweating!

I agree on the audio.

I have been in the fortunate situation of being fired at, but missed. In such a situation being able to tell the direction from which the fire came from is crucial.

lol at the daryl dixon crying thing :D

I think audio helps, im only using speakers at the minute, but when i have tried turtlebeach headphones i could better judge where gunshots were coming from etc, just didnt like being scared when someone decides to be annoying in side chat

My headphones actually say "WestJet" on the side of them...

Is that sad?

well i used to have a $5 headset,buying a new one pretty much every month cause they kept breaking,but i save some money from my job so i could afford spending $60 on a headset.they're not great,but they do their job!i play lots of other arma mods as well,and many times i'm surviving by using my ears and not the "skills",if you know that someone is about to enter the room and you suprise him,he's done,if you dont get him with the first shots,he's gonna panic.plus,if you hit someone and he hides,most of the times you can hear him bandaging,and its the best time to rush him.

decent head gear can only help and never hinder, as OP says good directional detection and bass will only improve your play.

• Like 1

Never fire enfield in a city?...how dare you spread such lies

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

Never fire enfield in a city?...how dare you spread such lies

ha :P nice youtube channel btw :)
  • Like 2

true dat =) trizzo makes sweet vids, needs to up the output tho

agreed, he has a good voice for it :P

You don't say:

lol at the daryl dixon crying thing :D

you say:

vX8fh.png?1

• Like 1

true dat =) trizzo makes sweet vids, needs to up the output tho

alas i'm looking at ocing my 930...or upgrading, for some reason i've lost performance (could be zombie spawn range) in high pop areas and im getting killed due to lag when recording :( that and 6 days of work at new job and other things...im planning on getting back into it, stand alone can't come soon enough

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

stand alone can't come soon enough

This is true ;)

What if two guys who have read this thread meet eachother and exchange fire? Of I think like my enemy who is also thinking like me, will we just explode?

• Like 1

Number 1 tip is definitely patience.

If you can wait out your enemy, they will eventually slip up and you can get them. This is also helpful when you're not sure whether there are more than one as the others may think you've gone and try to loot their dead friend's body, which is another opportunity to get another kill.

Patience is the biggest tip one can have.

Things I do to survive is.. if I go into a City,

1. I make it as quick a run as possible. I look for what I need, and if I don't see it, I keep moving.

2. I know what I need before I go into the city.

3. I use the buildings as cover, and I try to never agro zeds. Agro gives you away.

4. I never shoot a zed unless I absolutely have to. Even if I agro I would rather lose them by moving through buildings then by shooting them.

5. Never go into a single entrance building unless I have to... mentioned above.

6. Always assume a sniper is watching you and move accordingly. Limiting LOS to likely sniper perches is HUGE.

7. As mentioned, use HEADPHONES. Speakers do not give you the fine details of sound that you can use to help make a decision for survival.

8. Do not be afraid of dying, but do not play to die. Playing too aggressively can get you killed, but playing too caustiously can get you killed as well.

Heres my tip, NEVER go back. If you go into an area planning on hitting certain areas for supplies, never deviate from that plan. I've been killed so many times because I've been on the way out and thought "Y'know, I should check that building over there. I mean, nothing bad has happened thus far."

• Like 1

What if two guys who have read this thread meet eachother and exchange fire? Of I think like my enemy who is also thinking like me, will we just explode?

then the best man or the one with the best weapon wins

My main lessons learned so far are never hesitate, the long wayr ound is usually the best and every second is precious in high populace areas.

Many will say that playing defensive will keep you alive...It won't.You cannot defend yourself from bullets.No matter how much cover you have,not matter if you aggro'd or not,if someone wants to kill you,he's gonna find a way to make his bullets reach you.

another tip(not to realistic though) its the mod itself.if you're close to a city and you see zombies check your distance and see if you spawned 'em

last,if you kill someone that has a clantag,after being safe check the playerlist quickly,if more guys have the same tag they're probably close,so you can just ambush em when they get their friend's shit.

Heres my tip, NEVER go back. If you go into an area planning on hitting certain areas for supplies, never deviate from that plan. I've been killed so many times because I've been on the way out and thought "Y'know, I should check that building over there. I mean, nothing bad has happened thus far."

This, this and more this.