Sign in to follow this  
applejaxc

Dual Magazine Guns

Hi.

So I used to be a big Shadowrunner, or rather, a player of a pen-and-paper, dice-and-dungeons RPG called "Shadowrun," in which you (usually) played as a criminal/mercenary/hired gun, and could be a magician, cyber-powered what-the-fuck, and all sorts of other cool things.

My two favorite things in the game to do were 1, shoot things with a Browning Deputy HP revolver with stun rounds, because I felt like a badass using the pistol and because 6e stun damage is A LOT in Shadowrun.

The other thing I loved to do was snipe, thus a lot of my characters were high-mobility, high-perception, high-damage stealth ninjas.

My favorite sniper rifle, when we weren't fighting 70 foot tall Armadillos in what-used-to-be-Texas, was the Enforcer. Unfortunately, I cannot find a picture. I can, however, explain what made it so cool:

Dual magazines.

Now, the obvious benefit of the dual-magazine system is 40-60 rounds of ammo before you have to reload. That's pretty awesome, but that's not what makes the Enforcer so special.

The very overlooked benefit of the dual-magazine system is the ability to change your firepower on-the-fly for whatever crazy system you run into, whether you suddenly come across a berserking troll wielding a minigun or there's a magically-shielded mage running around.

That guy is wearing body armor? AP

That guy is wearing no body armor? HP

We don't want to kill that guy? Stun rounds

We need to shoot through a wall? HPDP

Imagine being able to carry a combination of any 2 ammunition types. You'll never be caught with your pants down!

The benefit of this system is obvious for DayZ.

I've already suggested you simply put 2 ammunition types+ into one magazine, so you alternate between AP and HP or whatever in the order you loaded them, but as someone that has tried to mod ArmA before, I know it'd be a pain in the ass, and the current hierarchy of "The highest loaded magazine is loaded" would not translate well to 2+ ammunition-loaded magazines.

How it would be implemented:

CNTRL + F would cycle which magazine is used. Only the currently used magazine is reloaded when reloading.

Pros:

• Dual purpose magazines can help you switch between car/armored targets and normal ones effectively
  • SD-to-not-SD when the time for killing zombies is over and the time for killing players is starting
  • Only use 1 magazine while at range, switch to back-up magazine if you're unexpectedly CQC attacked

Cons:

• EXTREMELY high magazine sizes (unless it is split 10-and-10?)
  • Very strong advantage over non-DM weapons
  • Only having 1 magazine on your body could bug out the system if the coding isn't careful!

Notes before you critique me:

• Very rare. No more than ~2 weapons should use this system (maybe a pistol/rifle and a sniper rifle?)
  • No special criteria for a magazine to be dual-loaded; as long as it is compatible with weapon it is loaded into
  • I understand magazine sizes 15+ would be ridiculously big

Gratz on being a shadowrunner. I dabbled too back in the day, stuck to D&D more.

Anyhoo. I just don't see how 2 magazines can be attached and fed into a single receiver without some serious gunsmithing involved.

To be honest, I think the current system where you roll your wheel to select standard or SD rounds is sufficient.

The dual-mag thing would probably confuse many people and annoy the realism aficionados.

...don't get it. You won't more types of ammo and the ability to stacks rounds into specific mags in a customised order or "dual magazines" (what is it)? An extended magainze? A DYI banna mag?

To the above no weapon system i know of has two seperate mags that and you can choose which will feed into the same receiver the next time a round is cycled, you just swap two different magazines. You know like die hard 2? When the bad guys used yellow tape mags for blank rounds and blue for live rounds. Quicker, better, less bulky, more certainty. I don't think a 'select magazine feeding system exists' for any small arms system ...at least one that is common!

I support different ammunition types, especilly if plate/body armor, hunting big and dangerous game is added but im not seeing how adding two different types of ammunition into one magazine is good ...do you alternate say btween JHP, LRN, Solid,...then again why do that? Why not just have two seperate mags, one for JHP the other X Y or Z so you don't get confused of loose track of how you stacked it.

Edited by Trizzo

To be honest, I think the current system where you roll your wheel to select standard or SD rounds is sufficient

Can you explain this statement please?

Yeah i

Can you explain this statement please?

When you have both SD and standard mags in your inventory, just roll your moue wheel up or down to select "Reload SD rounds" to swap in a silenced magazine. You can also do this to revert back to standard magazine.

The only gun I know has this feature is Kel-Tec KSG, it uses two tubular magazines. There's a little switch which controls which magazine it uses, so you can have slugs and buckshot in your shotgun at the same time. But that's too fancy & modern for DayZ.

Yeah i

When you have both SD and standard mags in your inventory, just roll your moue wheel up or down to select "Reload SD rounds" to swap in a silenced magazine. You can also do this to revert back to standard magazine.

Wow, I had no idea. Up to now I had to keep them separate; SD in inventory and normal rounds in the backpack.

Gratz on being a shadowrunner. I dabbled too back in the day, stuck to D&D more.

Anyhoo. I just don't see how 2 magazines can be attached and fed into a single receiver without some serious gunsmithing involved.

To be honest, I think the current system where you roll your wheel to select standard or SD rounds is sufficient.

The dual-mag thing would probably confuse many people and annoy the realism aficionados.

I'm a huge D&D fan, man. I love me those Kobolds... until freaking 4e ruined it with overpowered, invincible characters and piss-ass Dragons that don't have a breath attack, can't fly, or do magic. I mean... what the fuck is the point of being scared of a large scaly thing if it can't hurt you?

Anyway: dual magazine weapons already exist for military and police use, but not civilian.

...don't get it. You won't more types of ammo and the ability to stacks rounds into specific mags in a customised order or "dual magazines" (what is it)? An extended magainze? A DYI banna mag?

Dual magazine = 2 different magazines loaded, not an extended magazine. It is 2 magazines, not 1. 200%, not 150%

The only gun I know has this feature is Kel-Tec KSG, it uses two tubular magazines. There's a little switch which controls which magazine it uses, so you can have slugs and buckshot in your shotgun at the same time. But that's too fancy & modern for DayZ.

The KSG is the example I was going to use. For combat KSG uses (which aren't common), the 2-tube system maximizes magazine size. For police-issue (I'd never heard of it before I got interested in Special Weapons and Tactics teams [sWAT] a long time ago) it's usually so door breaching rounds and less-than-lethal rounds cna be loaded together.

Imagine being able to carry a combination of any 2 ammunition types. You'll never be caught with your pants down!

You are forgetting that one of the primary reasons many of us play DayZ is BECAUSE of the high probability we will be caught with our pants down. The stand alone will be taking that to a literal level. :)

You are forgetting that one of the primary reasons many of us play DayZ is BECAUSE of the high probability we will be caught with our pants down. The stand alone will be taking that to a literal level. :)

Okay, let me rephrase:

Imagine having the option, through grueling hours of looting that will more likely leave you with typhoid and a broken leg than anything, that you may potentially find a firearm with the capability of relieving some of the possible, potential problems in the game, if you are able to manage your inventory and collect the ammo necessary for the aforementioned item to function properly.

Happy?