Cardb0ardCat

Am I a bad player?

If you could show us a video or something of you playing, that would be great because I really don't know what you mean.

• Like 1

judging by what you have posted. Yes

It depends, there are many different ways to define a good / bad DayZ player, having bad FPS dosent help, but it dosent mean your forever doomed.

Kind of on topic, i used to play starcraft on my laptop that could barely run windows games, so it was slow as hell and fps was low, but i still did pretty well.

Dude, 15-20 FPS?! It must look as if you are playing a form of "Zombie Frogger" !

First thing you should do is see what else is possibly running on your computer that may be eating up your processing speed. If you can shut/temporarily shut those off while you're playing, that'll help. Then, you might want to think about getting more RAM or a better graphics card. But if you're on a budget (as most people are) then I'd try playing on someone else's computer just to see/feel the difference in game play. Nothing makes you want to upgrade your technology faster than when you witness/experience the improvement first hand. (an expensive prospect!)

Though, I'm sure a passable gaming worthy computer, home assembled, is doable for most of us.

I also play with 12-18 fps, and on 1152x864 resolution. You have a noticeable disadvantage with these settings - it makes it hard to see what's going on around you and to make out the details, and so your thinking/reaction times are definitely affected.

Further, my graphics card doesn't render stuff at a distance either, so I will not see players, zombies, crash-sites and vehicles that others in my group can spot. Additionally, I live 3000km away from the nearest EU servers, so my ping is 120 compared to more local players with 20-60 ping; the extra lag makes a noticeable difference.

This kind of adversity affects your play-style and can decrease the amount of PvP practise you actually get. It can lower your esteem and motivation too (which is why you're asking this question). For these reasons your PvP skill level might plateau below average. So even if all other aspects are equal, you are more likely to lose a fight.

However, since there are dozens of other important factors determining a fight's outcome, then it is still possible to win more fights than you lose. You just need to adjust your tactics to ensure you have other advantages, such as surprise, position, cover and weapon superiority, before engaging. Carefully choose who you engage and when, and try to ensure the fight is over before they know what hit them.

Also try to broaden the definition of how you 'win'. It's a small victory, on a busy server, every time you:

· repair a vehicle without being seen

· find and raid a camp without being caught

· raid a crash-site without being sniped

· manage to get gear from a hospital, supermarket or airfield successfully

· seeing a group/clan before they see you and making the right decision not to engage

· stealth across the map without being spotted

· picking up new spawns along the coast without being attacked

· blood bagging a stranger without being double-crossed

· hiding your vehicle for 2 weeks without it being stolen

etc

Having said all that, if death-matching in the cities is the only thing you want to get out of the game, then those measures of success won't work for you and you're also playing in the hardest scenario to gain other advantages. In that case I would suggest that playing solo versus being in a group is probably the largest single determining factor of success. If you're death-matching solo and sick of being killed or never having good equipment, join a group. The game is heavily biased in that way.

• Like 1

It depends, there are many different ways to define a good / bad DayZ player, having bad FPS dosent help, but it dosent mean your forever doomed.

Kind of on topic, i used to play starcraft on my laptop that could barely run windows games, so it was slow as hell and fps was low, but i still did pretty well.

I used to play dayz with a slide show as gameplay, beat that.

• Like 3