deezmon

squad.xml crashing server

So I had made a post in the bistudios forums, and figured it would be smart to also post my issue over here.

(For reference you can find my thread on the bistudios forums here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?146921-squad-xml-crashing-server )

The main issue the server is having is that when someone joins with a squad.xml that has a logo, the server tries to download the image to the TMP2302 folder but fails to do so causing everyone on the server to crash. This wouldn't be much of an issue if no one had squad.xml's, however today alone 3-4 different people tried to join and without realizing it caused the server to crash.

We have a very active public hive server so constant crashes such as the ones caused by the squad.xml has a terrible effect on our server population. I tested using squad.xml myself and other DayZ public hive servers allow me to join without a problem and allow my logo and everything to show up. We are running the latest version of DayZ as well as the latest beta patch for Arma2:OA.

I would really appreciate help on this matter as it is disrupting a lot of player's experiences on the server.

Hello there

Is this purely in regards to DAYZ? or is a new beta build crashing with the XML in vanilla A2 as well?

I have always used an XML.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
grammar

I believe it's a DayZ issue as I have spoken with devs from Bohemia and they were unable to reproduce the issue with multiple different builds and clients. Also, the same squad.xml had worked on "Vanilla A2" (Actually the ACE mod) when we had tested it with that. I believe that it's based around some sort of configuration file with DayZ where it's not allowing the server to download the logo, or it's an actual server issue though we migrated boxes and the issue happened on both servers.

HappyMushroom and I both represent the same server so don't think that you need to support both issues at once.

Hello there

Thanks for the info. This isnt my field, but worth looking into.

As with the serverside limit on the kb amount of custom skins can a limit be set on the paa file thats attached to the XML to effectively stop the player with an XML joining?

Also, is anyone else experiencing this with their server? And is your server hosted by another person?

Rgds

LoK

Our server is hosted by a hosting company but I, along with a couple other administrators have access to it. The server-side limit was set at 0 to allow anything, but when setting a limit I believe it did nothing as well. I will however notify my team and ask if they noticed any differences when setting a limit since they might have done it without me knowing. Everyone is experiencing this issue, as literally anyone with a squad.xml who joins causes the entire server to crash.

Hate to double post, but apparently the issue was fixed. The problem was caused by either one of two things:

1. The cfgdayz folder was named incorrectly by someone else and I had never realized it until cross-referencing it with the original dayz files given by the dayz devs. This caused an issue when finding the file path to the TMP2302 folder. Everything works as intended now, thank you for the support.