Sign in to follow this  
Nitrustoaster

Rivers!

I have always wanted rivers in chernarus so boats aren't so useless. The don't have to be everywhere, just enough so you can get inland a bit maybe?

Some sort of canal system would be neat.

Snipers would of course camp the crossings but you could still swim them.

I remember hearing something about rivers being hard to add in, because the water level would change with elevation and that's a no-no for some reason. I'm sure someone else could explain it better.

I remember hearing something about rivers being hard to add in, because the water level would change with elevation and that's a no-no for some reason. I'm sure someone else could explain it better.

Yep, from what i understand(?) the water has to be at 0 elevation, so creating rivers would mean gouging into the landscape. Since rivers have varying elevations as they come down from mountains this would probably create a Grand Canyon effect as the river cuts through the terrain.

The various lakes dotted around are actually separate objects.

ArmA-engine water is very... simplistic. Everything has to exist at a certain level (sea level). You can't slant water in ArmA without it looking like stepping-stones/utter crap.

This idea is still interesting, I suppose. I know I'd get A LOT of boats stuck on land trying to dock.

Hasn't this been suggested before?

Many many times. Still a good suggestion though.

Panthera had this which i always liked.

It would be nice to see the river, which runs from Pobeda dam, connecting together several lakes along the way and ends up in the swamp or elsewhere on the coast.

Several small streams that flows from small lakes into the river.

Or the source of the stream that starts somewhere in the mountains and flows into the river.

Several large and small bridges over the river.

Also it would be great that when it rains the water level in the river is rising, and it is impossible to swim cross the river because the water flow in the river is too fast, but when the level is normal it is possible to swim, and also in some places it would be possible to cross the river with some vehicles (military offroad, UAZ)

Edited by latz
  • Like 1