lachlan04@live.com.au

In-Game activities, adding immersion.

This is solely a standalone idea.

Immersion is good, that's why I thought that DayZ needs more things that make you feel connected into the game, a good way to do this is to add in-game activities and such. Now before you jump the gun about what I am talking about, hear me out. I am not talking about some sort of zombie killing mini-game or other things like that. What I am suggesting is decks of cards or maybe board games that can be found in-game as loot and played with your survivor buddys. Think of Red Dead Redemption, or Far Cry and games like that, sometimes I found myself sitting there for almost an hour playing blackjack against A.I. for cash, and what added to it was the fact that sometimes your opponent would get violent with you after losing. A game like DayZ could have massive potential with something like this, picture these two situations.

Situation 1: This is a simple one, you and your friend are waiting in your underground base out in the forest (Rocket has talked lots about underground bases in the SA) for a buddy to get back from Berezino with a car that he is currently repairing. Instead of you and your friend disconnecting until your buddy gets back you decide to set-up a game of poker, chess, checkers, whatever you feel like (providing that you actually have that game). You and your buddy play a few rounds and the winner gets the beans, or maybe cash? Your friend arrives later and you continue to loot the town 1 Km South.

Situation 2: 2 well known clans have arranged to meet up in an abandoned warehouse to trade some weapons and equipment, one of the leaders suggests a game of poker on the side with a large amount of cash in play. Clan 1 wins the poker match and takes the pot. After this the Clan 2 decides that they don't like the fact that they lost alot of money and starts accusing that they have been ripped off. A large shoot-out takes place and several survivors are killed, the rest of the men from both clans retreat to their own vehicles and get out of there with what they have.

The games themselves could usually be found as moderate loot in residential areas but stacks of cards could be found in most areas after a bit of searching (For example in one of the dorms at an airfield, or in a drawer in a shed) cards could be versatile and used for a variety of different games, chess and checkers sets could maybe be found as-well but would be rarer in military and industrial areas.

The games themselves could be played to pass time or to win loot. Cash is an option here too, but that has already been discussed in many other threads. Personally I think money is a good idea as servers would naturally begin to establish their own economy's and average selling prices depending on how much cash is in circulation between players.

Anyway that's all, constructive criticism is welcome as long as it isn't along the lines of "I play DayZ to loot stuff and kill survivors and zombies, I don't want to play some stupid in-game poker or chess" Nobody is making you pick up the games or play them with your friends, it is completely optional and nothing is stopping you from killing people and taking their stuff instead of gambling for it.

Thanks for reading and sorry if this has been suggested before, I only had a quick search.

• Like 8

If I need to sit around, I won't sit around, I'll do something productive, like loot that town that's 1km south.

As for making agreements I don't think issues would be settled over a game of poker in the SA, and I think for this a currency system would need to be implemented into the game as well.

So overall, I see this being somewhat useless, plus, you would need to loot something like cards, or a poker kit. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather carry a mag for my gun then I would a deck of cards.

I like the idea but it would need twisting. I think the idea of a form of currency however would be a bad thing. Instead use loot and items for the prizes such as a wager system perhaps. These things could even evolve into much bigger things. Instead of clans having a shoot out and lots dying pick you best 2 for a game or a poker setup. Like I said its a great idea but would need some attention to detail and some dev love to make it really immersive and shine. You have my beans sir!

• Like 1

If I need to sit around, I won't sit around, I'll do something productive, like loot that town that's 1km south.

As for making agreements I don't think issues would be settled over a game of poker in the SA, and I think for this a currency system would need to be implemented into the game as well.

So overall, I see this being somewhat useless, plus, you would need to loot something like cards, or a poker kit. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather carry a mag for my gun then I would a deck of cards.

The deck of cards could be in the tool belt slot lol or perhaps you would have to merge several decks to have a complete deck or you could have a stacked deck and really screw people over.

I like the idea but it would need twisting. I think the idea of a form of currency however would be a bad thing. Instead use loot and items for the prizes such as a wager system perhaps. These things could even evolve into much bigger things. Instead of clans having a shoot out and lots dying pick you best 2 for a game or a poker setup. Like I said its a great idea but would need some attention to detail and some dev love to make it really immersive and shine. You have my beans sir!

Thanks! Yea I know that it would require alot of development but it would be a really cool feature

The deck of cards could be in the tool belt slot lol or perhaps you would have to merge several decks to have a complete deck or you could have a stacked deck and really screw people over.

Regardless, if it takes up the slot of something else that has more use, or if SA implements a weight system, then I won't pick any of that up.

Some people like myself might want to wait a bit for a teammate to arrive because they don't feel confident going in a group of 2 due to the many gunshots that were heard before. Also I often leave a bit of room for some stuff in my inventory and never have it completely full. also you don't have to play the in-game things, like I said its optional. But I could understand if you wanted the devs to spend more time on other things instead. You do make some good points though.

Regardless, if it takes up the slot of something else that has more use, or if SA implements a weight system, then I won't pick any of that up.

Like I said it's about the play style, many people like the role-playing and immersive side of DayZ and want it to be enhanced but people like yourself perhaps enjoy the action and looting more than the other little things, to each their own.

I think that this is a really good idea. Dayz can be quite boring when you are positioned to wait and having something to do in that waiting time would be a very handy tool. If there were single player board games/card games i think that would enforce your post even more.

Good thinking, you have my beans :)

I like the idea, it would add more to the "trading" side of things. Imagine, you have ALMOST a full deck of looted cards, you just need a couple more. Someone else has ample of the cards you need. Meet/trade/love. Awesome :)

Dont think its real good idea. Nobody will use it, and if it would be used it will be very rarely. Regarding the 2 situations you described, 1) Ide rather go loot the town 1km south rather than wait around and play a frickin card game like the other dude mentioned above. 2), I truly doubt 2 clans will coordinate a time and place to play games rather than shooting each other and claiming loot in the first place. I mean why gamble on your loot when you can just shoot the other dude. Besides, lol, who would play a d#mn card game in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Just saying... Lol, Thought this thread would bring up that door lockpicking minigame concept like in skyrim.

PS: how old are you? Just curious

Edited by crob

how old are you? Just curious

how old are you then ;)

it's not polite to ask people for their age, especially when they're old :P

Edited by BadLuckBurt

Dont think its real good idea. Nobody will use it, and if it would be used it will be very rarely. Regarding the 2 situations you described, 1) Ide rather go loot the town 1km south rather than wait around and play a frickin card game like the other dude mentioned above. 2), I truly doubt 2 clans will coordinate a time and place to play games rather than shooting each other and claiming loot in the first place. I mean why gamble on your loot when you can just shoot the other dude. Besides, lol, who would play a d#mn card game in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Just saying... Lol, Thought this thread would bring up that door lockpicking minigame concept like in skyrim.

PS: how old are you? Just curious

Well I hoped that by reading how I wrote and structured my suggestion you would at least think I was mature. I do try to put some effort in to make it at least easy to read and understand even if you don't like the suggestion.

..with a makarov...

"Bang" GOD DAMMIT THAT HURTS! Up for another round?

• Like 2

Honestly, this would be cool. I often have to wait long periods of time while staking out fortified clan bases, usually with a friend.

It'd provide a safer alternative than me tabbing out to browse the interwebs.

I'm pretty sure this has already been confirmed. Rocket has definitely mentioned decks of cards and readable books to pass the time with.

I personally love the idea. The more random time-filling mini games there are, especially during the long periods of sitting around and doing nothing that is reasonably common in DayZ, would just make it so much better.

• Like 1

poker card currency. i would like to make a server and set this up to, a card is worth X bullets or X beans in the vault, and let it go from there

I'd use bullets as currency since it's already confirmed that mags will be treated as containers, so you'll be able to play with the rounds as much as you want.

On topic - glad it's confirmed. Hope we'll get the variety. Only cards is dull. How about a chess deck, checks, or jenga twister ... well, snakes & ladders would be also fun to find.

I think it's pretty immersive and adds some things to do between scavenging and running for hours. I had some fun playing those various tabletob games in AC:Revelations, so, as Day Z is all about interactions between players, the games would fit in very well.

Yep, making the decks and sets not full when you find them might bolster non-hostile player interactions as well. You will definitely won't kill for it, but asking another survivor to trade out the part that you need will be interesting. It can easily be achieved by splitting the sets into quarters, so you can find 1/4 of a deck, 2/4, 3/4, or a full deck if you are very lucky. If we'll have various games, people would trade.

So in fact it's a good idea for a mechanic that wouldn't be CPU intensive and will not require a lot of work from the devs - it's mostly textures and simple scripts that can be borrowed from some flash games.

To that concerned little guy who spent two posts to reassure us that he would never ever ever play such thing inside DayZ: Yes, I wouldn't like devs to spend all their time on arbitrary things instead of making robust AI, adding new gear and updating graphics, but the game will become frustrative and repetitive very soon if it will be watered down to ratrace for finding gear, running for miles and shooting newspawns in Cherno.

Edited by WiFiN

I think this is a good idea and because of the slow pace of the game I think it would fit in well.

Also to the people saying they wouldn't want to waste an inventory slot...you could always loot the cards/board game and leave them at your camp.

I'm pretty sure this has already been confirmed. Rocket has definitely mentioned decks of cards and readable books to pass the time with.

I personally love the idea. The more random time-filling mini games there are, especially during the long periods of sitting around and doing nothing that is reasonably common in DayZ, would just make it so much better.

I agree, now all they need is stuff to reduce the bore when going for long runs between locations, that's why I am looking forward to dangerous animals being implemented. Having to look out for bears or wolves while trekking through the forest would really keep you on your toes.

• Like 1