Sign in to follow this  
Griffith

Toolbox should allow player to cut a hole in a chainlink fence

I think the toolbox should give the player the ability to cut a hole\passage through a chainlink fence.

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 6

that would be nice and nifty or you could just go around it

Climbing over it would be even better as it takes less time but I wouldn't mind this. Your suggestion reminds me of the game Commandos, there was an engineer character who could do that :)

• Like 3

I actually think this is a splendid idea. Cutting a fence is actually fairly quiet and discrete (assuming we're talking about a barb wire and/or chain link) and enables a more organic way to enter and if needed, rapidly exit an urban environment. I have never seen anyone who was capable of climbing a chain link/barbwire fence and being incredibly quiet about it. Add to the fact that there is no urban ambiance from vehicles, sirens and so on and so forth anymore outside of zombie groaning; cutting your way through a chainlink/barbwire fence would be a much more stealthy alternative.

• Like 3

I have never seen anyone who was capable of climbing a chain link/barbwire fence and being incredibly quiet about it.

I wouldn't be soundless but I bet I could get over it with less noise than you'd expect.

Oh I expect there are people who can scale fences without making an overtly large amount of noise. I am not one of those people and neither is anyone I know.

Again though, to reiterate an earlier point: There is no other noise aside from what zombies and players are making. With no other noise to drown it out it would stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise completely still sea of silence. You'll notice in cities there's always a constant faint "Whrrrrrrrrr" sound if you really pay attention to it, the reason you may or may not notice it is because you've been in the city for so long you've just tuned it out. The reason for that noise is cars moving about, factory machinery at work and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying you'd hear someone climbing a chain link fence on the east side of Cherno when you're on the west side but with 20-100m there would definitely be some sound of clattering metal. That alone could make or break your supply run in to an urban setting.

• Like 1

that would be nice and nifty or you could just go around it

Problem is that if you get pinned by a sniper he only has to wait for you to come out 1 or 2 exits where you could make your own anywhere forcing him to react as well.

Edited by Griffith

I'm not saying you'd hear someone climbing a chain link fence on the east side of Cherno when you're on the west side but with 20-100m there would definitely be some sound of clattering metal.

Hehe, that gives me an idea: there's an ambient noise in the cities where a rusty gate opens. If they were to add other noises to that, they could add a chainlink fence rattling in the wind. When I first started playing I didn't realise the gate opening was ambient so I always thought there was someone around me until I heard it in Arma as well.

Maybe not part of the toolbox, maybe just wire cutters as an item. It should definitely be added, though.

Problem is that if you get pinned by a sniper he only has to wait for you to come out 1 or 2 exits where you could make your own anywhere forcing him to react as well.

maybe but you can get sniped even when going under the fence but i would like to see it implanted it is good suggestion

While i highly doubt you can cut wire with a toolbox i'm all for it if you have to use the bolt cutter that's inside ;) :P

While i highly doubt you can cut wire with a toolbox i'm all for it if you have to use the bolt cutter that's inside ;) :P

You dont have small bolt cutters in your handyman box ?

You dont have small bolt cutters in your handyman box ?

Picture someone literally cutting a chainlink fence with a toolbox then read his post again :)

Picture someone literally cutting a chainlink fence with a toolbox then read his post again :)

Sorry my failure to read is epic, but atleast there was some lulz afterwords

• Like 1

They just need to add the ACE bolt cutters, now those are some real men's bolt cutters.

They had wire cutters in Jagged Alliance 2 and they worked well to enable you nto cut through fences. Also allowed you to put the bits and pieces of bullets into one consolidated magazine. The interface on Jagged Alliance is similar in many ways to Arma 2s, and a few lessons can be learned from it. Jagged Alliance 2 was ahead of its time in 1999, and is still considered a classic.

Definitely though, a means to destroy fences whether the hatchet for wooden ones or wire cutters or pliars for the chain link ones.

Would be good to have this, too many times I've approached an airfield and walked a 1000 yards of unbroken fence