applejaxc

How do you fight players in CQC?

I wont use traditional grenades but rather use a grenade launcher, cant tell you how many people ive made combat log with m4a1 holo w grenade launcher

The M4A1 Holo/grenade launcher is a beautiful weapon, but I've always felt like it got nerfed too much; I've put 4 bullets into someone's chest without them going down, and that's a little frustrating. Plus, giving up pistol ammo or bandages is a bit annoying... however, with an SD, there isn't as much need for a pistol.

I like hit - run - hit guerilla warfare tactics with an AK or AKM etc.

ie if I see someone, I wll get within 50m of them, shoot them once or twice on semi, and run away behind concealment, give them a few seconds then run back and finish them, they are normally bandaging at this point which makes it an easy kill.

But I prefer 3-400m kills with an m16 acog or better yet an m14 red dot.

1: It's called hit-and-run, not hit-run-hit

2: I'm not an ACOG fan; I don't like being constrained to "Hip fire" against close targets. You can use the Fn Fal and M14 red dot just fine at 300 meters with little practice.

You'd probably have better luck if you got on TS and called in your group of friends from acros the map... :P

Like a douchebag cheater?

Like a douchebag cheater?

Lol-whatever. Yanking your chain. Besides, I mostly use Mumble or Vent. Server I'm on will kick you if you aren't on Mumble while playing, but it's strictly a team-based variant (FactionZ).

Edited by NickM

For CQC I like the AKM best, but the M4 is highly accurate in close. But I feel the extra damage from the AKM far outweighs the increase in accuracy with the M4. Though the AKM isn't that inaccurate in close.

For me there is no best method. It all depends on the situation. I've stalked people, watched them go into a building, and then setup and waited for them to come out and popped em. Other times i've seen someone while going through a town and they haven't seen me, and then I work to flank them or get on their six and shoot em in the back. If i'm fired upon the first thing I do is find cover and/or limit their LOS and AoA (make it as close to 90 degree's as I can make it). That may include going prone behind a rock, or booking it into a building. Just depends on the situation.

One thing I never do is combat log. I see the encounter to the end, win or lose.

For CQC I like the AKM best, but the M4 is highly accurate in close. But I feel the extra damage from the AKM far outweighs the increase in accuracy with the M4. Though the AKM isn't that inaccurate in close.

Really? Strange. I prefer to use the AKM at range, since I can dial it and I'm comfortable using its sorry sights at 300+ meters.

Really? Strange. I prefer to use the AKM at range, since I can dial it and I'm comfortable using its sorry sights at 300+ meters.

I love the AKM, but I really only try to use it when i'm within 200m. Once they start getting out at range it really becomes inaccurate. Atleast for me it is. I'm a good shot, but even with zero'ing to the proper distance still isn't exactly where I was aiming, even though the bullet hits really close. Now i've taken people out at 300-350 with the AKM, but it becomes much more difficult.

I just know for me, with my playstyle, and my skills, once I get out past 200m I prefer semi-auto rifles like the M14, FN-Fal, and Enfield. I'll use those out to 400-500m depending on the situation.

And I hate the ACOG. It has no power, and at range burst shot is just a waste because the kick, jump, of the rifle throws the next two bullets high, and higher. Every time i've hit people with the ACOG, if I don't hit them in the head, they just run away and hide and bandage. And then i'm left with trying to get close while they know i'm there, and being more alert. Basically losing any and all advantage that I had.

Edited by Tek

I love the AKM, but I really only try to use it when i'm within 200m. Once they start getting out at range it really becomes inaccurate. Atleast for me it is. I'm a good shot, but even with zero'ing to the proper distance still isn't exactly where I was aiming, even though the bullet hits really close. Now i've taken people out at 300-350 with the AKM, but it becomes much more difficult.

I just know for me, with my playstyle, and my skills, once I get out past 200m I prefer semi-auto rifles like the M14, FN-Fal, and Enfield. I'll use those out to 400-500m depending on the situation.

And I hate the ACOG. It has no power, and at range burst shot is just a waste because the kick, jump, of the rifle throws the next two bullets high, and higher. Every time i've hit people with the ACOG, if I don't hit them in the head, they just run away and hide and bandage. And then i'm left with trying to get close while they know i'm there, and being more alert. Basically losing any and all advantage that I had.

1: I'll shoot at anyone at any range with anything that isn't a pistol, shotgun, melee weapon, or Winchester.

2: I despise the ACOG. Is it just me, or does a gun get weaker when you slap an ACOG on it? 1-hit STANAGs become 4-5 hit wastes of inventory. The sights aren't even that good for semi-automatic, either.

That's a waist of ammo; you can get the same affect without wasting ammo on semi-automatic. In fact, the only time I'd even change to burst is +200m against a running target so I don't lead too far and into crowds of zombies when I want to drop them quickly.

As it currently stands, ammo is quite easy to get, so you shouldn't be worrying about wasting it when you're in a PvP situation. Suppressing the player is usually your best bet, as it gets their head down and gives you some breathing room to plan your next move. Though I usually try to get to the closest cover before I suppress them.

P.S. If you ever watch farther into the video's you posted, you don't exactly conserve ammo... You tend to aim at the legs and spam.

Edited by Z_StaTik_z

As it currently stands, ammo is quite easy to get, so you shouldn't be worrying about wasting it when you're in a PvP situation. Suppressing the player is usually your best bet, as it gets their head down and gives you some breathing room to plan your next move. Though I usually try to get to the closest cover before I suppress them.

P.S. If you ever watch farther into the video's you posted, you don't exactly conserve ammo... You tend to aim at the legs and spam.

1: Currently in DayZ, ammo is common. As far as I know, civilian semi-automatics without much ammo is going to be the norm here soon.

2: You've watched them? D'awwwwwww...

3: You're right, I do aim at the legs,,, however I don't consider my shooting tactic to be "Spamming." It's usually 2 bursts at the most, usually 2-4 bullets semi-automatic

4: I haven't seen suppressing work in DayZ very effectively before. Usually you're shot reloading or attract too many zombies to keep the fight up.

Its not a waste if you want to survive. Think about it, you want to get the vantage point. Say you fire half a clip at his position, your target won't move, so you can move and get a better position; possibly flank him. As your in close proximity with each other, accuracy doesn't really matter so, firing at him more is going to be more of a concern.

Think "double-tap, dash, down, roll, engage".

The initial double-tap (or triple or whatever) disorients and scares the player. Most players immediately seek cover when fired upon and this give you the advantage. At the same time, take 3-4 steps and dive prone and roll to one side. Especially at close range, this moves you off the "X", and buys you a second to aim. By this point you should have the player dead to rights and can engage with rapid, semi-auto fire.

I recently won a 4 way firefight doing this. Sure, I lost the use of my legs and kept passing out, but I won and got the loot.

• Like 1

2: No, waist of ammo; I don't spray-and-pray or suppress.

That's just plain stupid.

That's just plain stupid.

It's stupid not to waste ammo? To fire one burst, or 2 rounds in semi-auto to scare someone? I've never had to empty half a clip at someone to win a fight. I'm sorry, but if that's what it takes for you, you're just looking for excuses for how much you suck at DayZ.

For the most part if I'm winded/bleeding/starving/anything is happening that results in shaky aim, I change to burst fire and pray. For the most part, it works.

It's stupid not to waste ammo? To fire one burst, or 2 rounds in semi-auto to scare someone? I've never had to empty half a clip at someone to win a fight. I'm sorry, but if that's what it takes for you, you're just looking for excuses for how much you suck at DayZ.

Uhm... what?

• Like 1

Uhm... what?

It's not wasting ammo if you can't hit otherwise, and killing someone with a burst isn't wasting ammo. In fact, calling it wasted ammo is like calling insurance wasted money; you might NEVER actually need it, but it's a just-in-case safety net you maintain nonetheless. It's only wasting ammo if you are spamming, especially without the intent to even hit the person.

Say you're about 600+ Metres out and you see somebody but theirs a good chance you'll miss with your current gun and they've got a long range gun I would fire a couple of rounds at them so they take cover and keep firing once every 5 - 10 seconds so he/she doesn't move enabling you to get closer and finish them.

Clearly you have no sense of military tactics. Rule 101 in contact drills - fire a 2-3 round burst take a few pace and hit the deck and move either left or right (ground dependant).

Locate your enemy and return effective/appropriate fire, change your position every few shots.

Saved my life manys a time for real and on DayZ.

• Like 3

Clearly you have no sense of military tactics.

didn't mean to come across rude. Apologies in advance

You gave no hint or suggestion that you were joking.

So... every time someone says anything to you, they must clearly declare that they are making a joke, otherwise you assume they are trying to offend you? It seems like every thread that I read of yours, you are constantly disagreeing with the way other people play, and continuing to place yourself on this very high pedestal above other players.

I get that you take this game SUPER SERIOUS MLG STYLE, but bro. Not everybody in this game lives and dies by the same code you play by.

I refer you to the first minute of this video. You, are the red character. The rest of the community is the blue character.

• Like 3

Say you're about 600+ Metres out and you see somebody but theirs a good chance you'll miss with your current gun and they've got a long range gun I would fire a couple of rounds at them so they take cover and keep firing once every 5 - 10 seconds so he/she doesn't move enabling you to get closer and finish them.

My first thought is, why would you shoot at a person 600m out if you do not have a gun that is effective at that range? Did he spot you? Was he in a position to shoot? Were you in the open? Or did you have tree's you could run through? Or buildings to run through/around? What kind of long range gun did he have? Was it a sniper rifle? Or was it an M14 or an FN Fal?

If you have a gun that is not capable of downing someone at 600m, your best bet is to not shoot. Shooting with that gun is tactically unsound for a number of reasons.

1. If he didn't see you, you just gave away your position and your surprise. You now have compromised your ability to get close to him.

2. Even if he did see you doesn't mean he had a shot. Unless you stay still and let him shoot at you.

3. Even if he did shoot at you doesn't mean he is going to hit you. 600m is a long shot. If you're moving that 600m shot becomes even more difficult due to lead time for bullet speed, and the angle you're running from. Not to mention his ability to get a smooth lead if you're running through tree's or around/through buildings.

4. Maybe that person has buddies near by, where as you opening fire with no ability to down, has now alerted him, which he then relays to his buddies. Who then come over from different angles and catches you trying to get close.

5. Even if you did fire at that player, to try and keep his head down, doesn't mean that player is going to just stay hidden so he can't see. Smart players make reasoned decisions to allow themselves to get information. If he knew you were 600m out and saw you shoot at him with an M4, I wouldn't even worry about taking cover. I'm going to set up so that I can take you out at best, or at worst deter you from coming close. A player moving at you is a lot easier to hit than an player running at 90 degree's to your position. Low angle, less lead, only have to think about bullet drop.

6. That player 600m out has plenty of time to change position in relative safety. He could bugger out, or he could reposition and ambush you from a position that you never saw him move to.

Just because you see someone, whether they are close to you, or at range from you, does not mean you just start shooting. Smart, tactical thinking players are going to take all the conditions into account to make their decision on when, and even if, they should shoot.

Edited by Tek
  • Like 1

My first thought is, why would you shoot at a person 600m out if you do not have a gun that is effective at that range? Did he spot you? Was he in a position to shoot? Were you in the open? Or did you have tree's you could run through? Or buildings to run through/around? What kind of long range gun did he have? Was it a sniper rifle? Or was it an M14 or an FN Fal?

If you have a gun that is not capable of downing someone at 600m, your best bet is to not shoot. Shooting with that gun is tactically unsound for a number of reasons.

1. If he didn't see you, you just gave away your position and your surprise. You now have compromised your ability to get close to him.

2. Even if he did see you doesn't mean he had a shot. Unless you stay still and let him shoot at you.

3. Even if he did shoot at you doesn't mean he is going to hit you. 600m is a long shot. If you're moving that 600m shot becomes even more difficult due to lead time for bullet speed, and the angle you're running from. Not to mention his ability to get a smooth lead if you're running through tree's or around/through buildings.

4. Maybe that person has buddies near by, where as you opening fire with no ability to down, has now alerted him, which he then relays to his buddies. Who then come over from different angles and catches you trying to get close.

5. Even if you did fire at that player, to try and keep his head down, doesn't mean that player is going to just stay hidden so he can't see. Smart players make reasoned decisions to allow themselves to get information. If he knew you were 600m out and saw you shoot at him with an M4, I wouldn't even worry about taking cover. I'm going to set up so that I can take you out at best, or at worst deter you from coming close. A player moving at you is a lot easier to hit than an player running at 90 degree's to your position. Low angle, less lead, only have to think about bullet drop.

6. That player 600m out has plenty of time to change position in relative safety. He could bugger out, or he could reposition and ambush you from a position that you never saw him move to.

Just because you see someone, whether they are close to you, or at range from you, does not mean you just start shooting. Smart, tactical thinking players are going to take all the conditions into account to make their decision on when, and even if, they should shoot.

When you're being shot at you don't think of all these things you only think of taking cover| :|

When you're being shot at you don't think of all these things you only think of taking cover| :|

I'll give you that my first instinct is to take cover. But when you get enough experience in PvP fights you learn to over come that fear and react based on what you know about the situation. Granted there are times when you get ambushed and all you can do is run like a little girl and hope you don't get shot, using cover along the way. Just because i'm shot at doesn't mean i'm going to go diving behind the first rock I see. Depends where the shot came from, how close it was sound wise, did it actually hit near me, or was it just a random shot. I react tactically, not fearfully. I know other people play that way as well. And those are the ones where you have a challenging and fun fight on your hands.

Clearly you have no sense of military tactics. Rule 101 in contact drills - fire a 2-3 round burst take a few pace and hit the deck and move either left or right (ground dependant).

Locate your enemy and return effective/appropriate fire, change your position every few shots.

Saved my life manys a time for real and on DayZ.

That is NOT at all what you suggested before; what I was rebutting was the idea of shooting until your enemy takes cover, without the intent to hit.

So your scenario is:

I've got a Glock. He has a sniper rifle. I better start shooting at him.

That is probably the single dumbest suggestion I've ever read on the DayZ forums.

Seriously.