dhorseven

What exatly is the significance of certain sounds?

I'm talking specifically about the sound of someone hitting a chainlink fence or the sound of something being knocked over, or birds fluttering away as if frightened. I've associated these sounds with other players and thus pack up my gear and get the hell out of there when I hear them, simply because every time so far that I've heard a chainlink fence I've been shot at soon after.

So, are these sounds representative of enemy players or no? Do they hold any real significance that I should be listening out for?

Also, the soundtrack. Is this just a random loop or does it mean something? I've noticed I can run for miles through the woods with no real soundtrack but the moment I start looting a city that heavy RE4 style thump beat starts up and makes me nervous. Same question there. I'm just curious.

Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm a noob and didn't see this mentioned in any stickies. :)

Unfortunately I don't think they actually have any significance (I could be totally wrong), but it would be nice if they did in standalone.

Pretty sure it's random.. The thing you should be looking for is sound of footsteps, if they are proning towards you or camping you're probably fucked anyway :P

It's random as far as I know, still always makes me look in that direction though.

I heard somewhere the chainlink fence sound meant a Z just spawned somewhere near you

I think it's random. However I was expecting to see Pyramid Head from Silent Hill or something when I heard that chain sound for the first time.

Aw, that's too bad that it appears to be random. I was hoping there was some pvp significance or something. Hopefully in the standalone indeed though I think this would be awesome.

I heard somewhere the chainlink fence sound meant a Z just spawned somewhere near you

Huh, interesting. I guess that would make sense since I only ever hear the chainlink fence when around Zs

Pretty sure it's random.. The thing you should be looking for is sound of footsteps, if they are proning towards you or camping you're probably fucked anyway :P

haha, yeah. I'm using my turtly beach 7.1 headset specifically for making sure I know which direction footsteps/gunshots are traveling/coming from. Saved my life a few times for sure when it comes to footsteps

I often hear a weird sort of ambient sound in the distance like a music but not if you know what i mean?

Like a vague, ghostly loudspeaker noise in the distance? I used to have music turned off but i turned it onto one notch and started noticing it, now the first time i heard it i was right next to green mountin....to say i shit myself would be an understatment (i had been reading about the myths of green mountin not a day earlier), i abandoned the supply run i was preparing to make on a near by town (a combination of the nosie and a bus in the town exploding had me spooked to fuck), ran the hell away and eventually starved to death as a result.... :|