dexterwollenburg@gmail.com

Group Tactics; Whats your Tips?

No, dumb ass, any CHEATING team uses meta game programs for communication.

Not sure how using Teamspeak/Steam/Skype/Ventrilo counts as cheating but, whatever. Everyone can have their own opinions.

But, back to the thread.

-Stay spread out, any idiot with an AK can kill 3-4 guys if they're all standing in one spot.

-Communication, make sure everyone knows where everyone else is. Helps avoid blue on blue.

-Overwatch, if you've got a scoped rifle make sure the guy who can use it best is sitting on a hill killing threats. Hell, if you've got one pair of binocs have someone on a hill calling out positions.

Not sure how using Teamspeak/Steam/Skype/Ventrilo counts as cheating but, whatever. Everyone can have their own opinions.

It's cheating for the same reason "Trigger fingers" and SPUD controllers are cheating on consoles: You're using something the game doesn't support that not all users have access too, giving you a very unfair advantage-IE, cheating.

Imagine this:

You run a race over sharp gravel.

You're barefoot.

Your opponent bought shoes to protect his feet.

Is that fair?

Stop using teamspeek, wuss.

Stop using teamspeek, wuss.

I use TS3 because I generally enjoy talking to the people I play with, if I wanted to spend most of the game in silence I wouldn't bother playing with friends. And I have no idea what a "trigger finger" or a "Spud Controller" is as I don't play console, and I really don't care to learn.

Edited by Pandema

I use TS3 because I generally enjoy talking to the people I play with, if I wanted to spend most of the game in silence I wouldn't bother playing with friends. And I have no idea what a "trigger finger" or a "Spud Controller" is as I don't play console, and I really don't care to learn.

Alot of private hives including balota buddies request that you be on teamspeak as it has 2 fold reasons.

1. Finding a random player and teaming up with them it is better if they have teamspeak as you can get to know eachother better (Also appliable to direct comms)

2. Most admins/moderators can be found in the teamspeak so running into issues/bugs/hackers can be resolved quickly and privately (Weve had our squad members banned due to a bug involving spawning and a ural)

You use TS3 because you're a cheating bastard someone I don't like.

And they're modified controllers that allow players with money to do better than players who can't afford equipment banned by the Microsoft and Sony terms of agreement.

Edited by Applejaxc

And they're modified controllers that allow players with money to do better than players who can't afford equipment banned by the Microsoft and Sony terms of agreement.

So anyone who uses Teamspeak while playing a game with their group is a cheater? I apologize on behalf of everyone in the internet community with friends. We shall cease all enjoyment in video games immediately.

• Like 2

So anyone who uses Teamspeak while playing a game with their group is a cheater?

Everyone who uses a 3rd party, non-DayZ supported program for an unfair advantage is a cheater.

This "outside the game/unfair advantage" concept doesn't make much sense... So:

- if I look at an online chernarus map (I do not even pick up the in-game one anymore) is it cheating?

- if I use my HOTAS Saitek controller/rudder (the same I use in FSX) to control an helicopter is it cheating?

- if I use a mic is it an unfair thing because not everybody has a mic?

- if I use trackir to look around is it cheating because other people have to use freelook instead?

- if I speak using teamspeak instead of side chat, is it cheating?

Sorry but it sounds a little bit too anal to me. Please let everybody play as they like, as long as they do not cheat by using hacks or exploit design weaknesses (e.g. duping items or giving themselves blood transfusion, which now has been fixed).

Edit: one argument of side-chat vs. TS is the following: If I speak (e.g.) in direct comm nearby Z can hear me and react. If I speak using TS this does not happen of course. So clearly there is a tactical advantage of using TS over built-in voice chat. Personally I consider this a design flaw of dayz however.

_Anubis_

Edited by _Anubis_
  • Like 1

@Applejaxc:

Flat footed can be several things, including the tendency to be caught off guard (not just being caught), and/or to walk with a noisy plodding gait, as if physically having fallen arches.

It is also in a similar manner, a derogatory term for a beat cop, who may be said to plod and be easily caught off guard.

I'm with _Anubis_ regarding peripheral controllers and the like. How is something freely available and intended for use with the game an unfair advantage?

Why wouldn't I use my Saitek Cyborg stick to fly? They are cheap and strangely enough, designed exactly for flying in games. ArmA2 even names the controls "saitek". Moreover, whoever is masochistic enough to play this kind of game on a console is welcome to any form of entertainment they can get from it. I'll continue to abuse my "unfair" advantage of keyboard, mouse and dual displays.

If I had more free monitors and free desk space I would consider using TrackIR too, because ArmA2 specifically supports it.

As for comms, if I am playing DayZ with others, I'll use whatever is common amongst us to talk ... something to do with having and/or making friends, which isn't cheating funnily enough. However, nitpicking in forums isn't a good way to make them.

Edited by RN_Max

Everyone who uses a 3rd party, non-DayZ supported program for an unfair advantage is a cheater.

I think you're reading that out of context. If I were to play Battlefield with my mates on my Xbox 360 and they're telling me where the enemy sniper is situated over xbox live part chat, is that cheating? No. But it isn't a feature included in the game, its an Xbox Live feature.

That DayZ rule is referring to hacking programs and such. Play as you like, I don't care. But please don't go around calling people bastards because they have a different playstyle than you. Unless you're on a server which rules out any form of chat on programs like TS or Skype then it isn't cheating.

Back on topic now:

In my opinion I think you need to keep your team as small as possible, and if it is large, split into squads. You will always need to assign different roles; If I had a team of three for example, I would assign one person the medic role, and set his equipment accordingly, he would not have a sidearm so that he can carry 8 bandages, his primary weapon would be one that is easy to find ammo for so that he doesn't need to use up alot of inventory space for it. most of his inventory would be filled with medical equipment, some slots would be used for food and drink. He would also be in charge of boiling water.

The second role would be assault, armed to the teeth, this dude will take you out before you can blink. He would have a sidearm but with limited ammo to allow for some extra bandages, his primary would have quite alot of ammo. His role is to lead the group and scout ahead before engaging in combat or looting in houses.

The third would be a support soldier, armed with a medium to long range weapon for support and cover fire. He'd carry the loot and act as a walking storage chest.

I'm not exactly an expert, these are just ideas. I recommend looking up some real military tactics and maneuvers used in urban combat since that's where most of the firefighting takes place.

Thats quite some text you got there. When It comes to fourms I prefer the normal text, maybe a bold or two here and there with a hint of underline. Thats my tips.

I prefer to heal players bail them out of tough situations, teach the new guys make friends. You have a better chance of impacting the game as a whole if you show the new guys kindness they will go on to remember it and show other kindness, at least thats how my small scale survey in a private hive went...

I think you're reading that out of context. If I were to play Battlefield with my mates on my Xbox 360 and they're telling me where the enemy sniper is situated over xbox live part chat, is that cheating? No. But it isn't a feature included in the game, its an Xbox Live feature.

That DayZ rule is referring to hacking programs and such. Play as you like, I don't care. But please don't go around calling people bastards because they have a different playstyle than you. Unless you're on a server which rules out any form of chat on programs like TS or Skype then it isn't cheating.

Just because you're on PC doesn't mean it's fair to use 3rd party PC programs; it's an accepted standard that all Xbox LIVE games use online communications, controlled by game; PCs don't have out-of-the-box advertisements for talking to people. And frankly, it's pathetic that a servers should have to go out of its way to ban the use of 3rd party programs.

Communication... so you "Communicated" with your team across the map, while they all scavenged? Hmmph, I guess direct communication got buffed... OH WAIT! It didn't, because cheating bastards use team5p33k, skype, or steam chat, which ruin the game by taking the logistics-one of the most important parts of any military, police, or hunting operation-challenge out. Completely. The only way to "Maintain proper communications" is to cheat.

And do cheater's ever win?

No, except for FrankieOnPcIn1080p, maybe.

Is teamspeak or Skype considered "cheating"? Because I thought it was pretty standard. Sort of like your team all had walky talkies or tactical radios or whatever IRL. Now maybe the DayZ purists believe you should only use direct chat.

I'm of two minds about your use of the sniper. If you send him in with your assault team, you aren't really making full use of the sniper's long range fire and optics. Better to have him on a hill providing overwatch as the rest of the team goes in. He can at least call out approaching players and give you more tactical options. Of course that's only effective if you have teamspeak. If you don't, you are probably better off keeping the sniper with the rest of the team.

And that's another downside. If your sniper is half a click away, he's extremely vulnerable unless he has a second teammate as a spotter/security. And your team is split up. Which means you need to go find each other after you achieve your objective.

One bit of general advice is to set both a target and an egress rally point before you venture into a town, airfield or other hot zone. Especially if you don't use teamspeak. And set up your basic plan before you go in. Something simple. For example "On three we'll all go into Cherno and converge on the church. If the shit hits the fan, fall back to the gas station on the road West of Cherno.

• Like 1

Also don't be afraid to shoot your teammate in the legs and get the hell out of there if things get too crazy!

Just because you're on PC doesn't mean it's fair to use 3rd party PC programs; it's an accepted standard that all Xbox LIVE games use online communications, controlled by game; PCs don't have out-of-the-box advertisements for talking to people. And frankly, it's pathetic that a servers should have to go out of its way to ban the use of 3rd party programs.

It's also an accepted standard that people use programs such as teamspeak when playing PC games. It is not pathetic that servers should have to go out of their own way to ban methods of communication such as TS because they are generally used by almost all of the online community. Because it is an accepted standard, servers who do think it is cheating should state so in the rules.

Is teamspeak or Skype considered "cheating"? Because I thought it was pretty standard. Sort of like your team all had walky talkies or tactical radios or whatever IRL. Now maybe the DayZ purists believe you should only use direct chat.

Yes, it's cheating. IF THE GAME VANILLA HAD WALKIE TALKIES IN IT, then global chat would be acceptable; the game itself would supply the means to do it and encourage it.

If Rocket wanted you to talk to everyone across the map, why the hell would he take global chat out of the SA?

You people just aren't very bright.

It's also an accepted standard that people use programs such as teamspeak when playing PC games. It is not pathetic that servers should have to go out of their own way to ban methods of communication such as TS because they are generally used by almost all of the online community. Because it is an accepted standard, servers who do think it is cheating should state so in the rules.

If everyone started jumping off a bridge and was "Standard behavior," would you jump off a bridge?

It's really sad that a server admin should have to go out of his way to include that in the rules.

Edited by Applejaxc

If everyone started jumping off a bridge and was "Standard behavior," would you jump off a bridge?

It's really sad that a server admin should have to go out of his way to include that in the rules.

Seriously, what is you issue? Try to hold someone up and they used TS to tell their friend to come blow your head off?

Seriously, what is you issue? Try to hold someone up and they used TS to tell their friend to come blow your head off?

1: I haven't been shot in DayZ in at least a month. Obviously whatever I'm doing is working.

2: They should be using TS in the first place. It makes the kills on both of them that much better when I know I overcame an unfair, shitty advantage like TS. Also, I don't hold people up very often. If they don't comply and look hostile, they're dead; if they don't respond to me in any way when I attempt to communicate, they're dead.

Never answered my question Applejaxc, why do you hate third party VOIP so much?

I'm with Applejaxc on the 3rd party chat software. We do not spawn with radios, you should not be able to communicate with allies kilometres away, or silently with allies in the presence of other players. There are other games to play to satisfy your desire for fire-team / squad based manoeuvre, play those. It is an exploit to use them in DayZ.

I'm with Applejaxc on the 3rd party chat software. We do not spawn with radios, you should not be able to communicate with allies kilometres away, or silently with allies in the presence of other players. There are other games to play to satisfy your desire for fire-team / squad based manoeuvre, play those. It is an exploit to use them in DayZ.

An exploit by definition is taking advantage of something in game that you shouldn't be, of which teamspeak is not.

An exploit by definition is taking advantage of something in game that you shouldn't be, of which teamspeak is not.

Exploit = to make use of unfairly for one's own advantage.

:huh:

Edited by iegle