ghettodayzbambie

My custom key bindings.

Hi there.

I have spent a lot of time in game trying to optimise my keybindings to suit my style of stalking prey. (zombies).

Before anyone has a tizzy and tells me I am daft, spare a thought for the effort I have put into learning the ropes. (two weeks ago I had never played a FPS, other than a bit of a dabble on Krysis at a mates place)

Left hand:

From right to left. thumb = 1, next = 2, next = 3 ...

Numeric end of IBM 104 clone. (http://en.wikipedia....IBM_PC_keyboard)

here we go:

control key digit

Fast Fwd 2 3

Left 1 4

right 3 2 (pointing finger

look enter 1 (thumb)

headlight del 1

stepover 0 1

Prone 4 4

Crouch 5 3

Stand 6 2

move fwd right 5 (little finger)

slow fwd down 5

move back up 5

gear Ctrl L 5

Those are just the basic move functions I have locked in.

Next DIY project is a whole new keyboard with repostionable keys so I can have as many keys near

my digits a possible and within the degrees of movment the digits prefer.

So far I have been matching controls to keys that are roughly in the right area. This is a hack to get thebest out of the IBM 104 layout. When I build the new key pad I can go through the whole process again and define

new key bindings to clusters of keys in the right positions. (phew, I managed to get that out.)

Is this a waste of time?

Quite a bit of thougt and testing on the fly went into setting the controls up like this:

For instance, keys I need to find in a hurry seem to be easier to get if I move my digits up (away from me) to them. AND if I need to look to see them, they are not hidden under my digits. (I swapped the Pro/Crouch/Stand keys with l/ffwd/right alot before settling on the latest setup. (sure I am not "touch typing" , yet...)

Keys I really need should be under a "resting position" of my digits. So I naturally know where they are.

...soooooooo, if Arma 3 has a new key setup (!?!) I will have to have a rethink. (is arma 3 going to be part of the picture???)

and as always, have nice day.... (borrowed from FPS russia, respect)

Mr amway.

Edited by Mr Amway

A little confused as to what you're even doing. Did you set your bindings to the num pad? Do whatever works best for you, but in my opinion the classic setup is much better. There's many more keys in roughly the same space as the num pad, your hands aren't crammed together, and your longer and more flexible fingers (thumb and pointer) have more to the right to press instead being on the edge with nothing to hit than what's under them, and you're pinkie doesn't work as hard.

It might just be more natural to me, being a PC FPS player for awhile now, and a PC gamer for longer, but the WASD set is a lot better. It might be a bit foreign going from console controllers to big keyboard, but you'll come to appreciate the space. That and your pinkie won't be hurting after a couple of hours of play.

As for Arma III, naturally they did add some more functionality (throw grenade, combat mode) and altered some things like crouch and prone being a toggle, but you shouldn't have too much of a problem figuring out a decent binding. However, DayZ standalone will be on it's own engine, it won't be a mod for Arma III, so you should expect a different set of commands to play with there.

Hello there

Its a case of "whatever works for you"

I use my wsad for get up/crouch left and right and have my mouse buttons as forward and fire (a throwback to early gaming) so in that respect I'm a bit freaky.

The beauty of the OFP/Arma series is that you can config the keys to your own controller/keyboard etc. Other devs take note.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I use my wsad for get up/crouch left and right and have my mouse buttons as forward and fire (a throwback to early gaming) so in that respect I'm a bit freaky.

Whut? Early gaming? We didnt know what a mouse is other than an animal back in the early days of gaming :)

I think the only key you should definetely rebind is run (double w in standard). I used space which is used for commands in arma 2 and 3 but not used in dayz. Works pretty well and you can go from sneaking to full speed and back in no time.

Whut? Early gaming?

I didn't want to go too far back in time to confuse the youngsters... ZX80 ftw!

• Like 3

I didn't want to go too far back in time to confuse the youngsters... ZX80 ftw!

ok grampa, you win ;) and i thought i was old with my amiga 500... but nope :)

• Like 1

CHEESE NIBBLER

10 DIM A(10)

20 DIM B(10)

30 DIM C(10)100 FOR J = 1 TO 10

110 LET A(J) = 1

120 LET B(J) = 1

130 LET C(J) = 1

140 NEXT J

200 FOR J = 1 TO 10

205 IF NOT A(J) = 1 THEN GO TO 220

210 PRINT "X";

215 GO TO 230

220 PRINT" ";

230 NEXT J

240 PRINT

300 FOR J=1 TO 10

305 IF NOT B(J) = 1 THEN GO TO 320

310 PRINT "X"

315 GO TO 330

320 PRINT" ";

330 NEXT J

340 PRINT

400 FOR J=1 TO 10

405 IF NOT C(J)=1 THEN GO TO 420

410 PRINT "X"

415 GO TO 430

420 PRINT" ";

430 NEXT J

440 PRINT

445 PRINT "HIT NEWLINE TO NIBBLE THE

CHEESE"

450 INPUT Y$

460 IF NOT Y$ = " "THEN GO TO 1000

470 CLS

500 LET I = RND(10)

510 LET K = RND(3)

520 IF K = 1 THEN LET A(I) = 0

530 IF K = 2 THEN LET B(l) = 0

540 IF K = 3 THEN LET C(l) = 0

550 GO TO 200

1000 STOP

I actually remember typing this in in 1980 and being really disappointed with the result. Before this it was Pong machines or arcades, you guys are lucky.

Now get back on topic!

L

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

Whip that thread back inline. *(SFX :whip crack )

The AWASD key set up SUCKS. In my HUMBLE opinion. (Or ASsWAD if you care to rearrange the letters.) I used it at first then moved to the numeric pad and custom bindings.

I have changed my keybindings again. And again. Really homing in on the right set up for me that works. Adding functions on the PGM is clearing out space on the keyboard.

But WAIT there is more.

Pistol Grip Mouse (PGM). with REDUCED "speed" so that cursor to mouse is 1:1. (clear all that BS off your bench with one swipe...)

Used a microsoft LED mouse with three butons and scroll whell. Next one will have SEVEN buttons....

That is the second working model. Pretty neat huh. It sure does work.

To clarify my Keybindings:

+++Using the Numeric END of the IBM 104 keyboard.

+++The keys are not off set and are arranged in col/rows.

+++I am most concerned with movement, look, etc

I have transfered "move forward" to my mouse thumb key.

Next PGM thumb button count will be five.

fire and reload on trigger. Maybe swap in a third trigger...

the Repositonable keyboard is on track. Have worked out the ke matrix then discoverd it don't matter that much. Will just use select and data lines that are easy to use and the devil can mix it down.

So there we go.

any questions?

Amway.

PS the PGM is to cure my "dead hand" after playing for more than eight hours straight at a time. I love stalking. can we have zombies in the forests...

post-152030-0-90260700-1364762322_thumb.

NECROMANCER!!

(No just kiddin, this is what showed up when I googled. For something totally different btw...)

Anyway, I thought I could add another setup that I've heard some players use.

ESDF.

Instead of using the usual WASD you simply move the hand a little to the right, this will hopefully give you more keys to press (usually 1/3 of your hand is hanging in the air with WASD, atleast mine does) (=

Btw, I do not use this. I use the WASD. 

Also, for ArmA3 I agree, many new keybindings >.< I figured out yesterday that 'space' is a great sprint button ;D And then hold 'shift'  for walking (=

NECROMANCER!!

(No just kiddin, this is what showed up when I googled. For something totally different btw...)

Anyway, I thought I could add another setup that I've heard some players use.

ESDF.

Instead of using the usual WASD you simply move the hand a little to the right, this will hopefully give you more keys to press (usually 1/3 of your hand is hanging in the air with WASD, atleast mine does) (=

Btw, I do not use this. I use the WASD. 

Also, for ArmA3 I agree, many new keybindings >.< I figured out yesterday that 'space' is a great sprint button ;D And then hold 'shift'  for walking (=

wat?

With the standard WASD layout from pinky to thumb your fingers should be resting on [shift/Ctrl] [A] [W/S] [D] [space], you shouldn't have have anything hanging in the air, lol.

Space for 'fast forward' does work well in ArmA 2, it works nicely as the 'use default action' key in ArmA 3 and DayZ SA too though.

I haven't strayed too far from the default ArmA 2 controls. Off the top of my head - I unbound Caps Lock and put 'talk in direct' on a thumb button on my mouse so I don't have to worry about changing channels or accidentally speaking in side chat, I put 'toggle view' (1DP/3DP) on my other thumb button and 'toggle zoom [out]' on middle mouse for a temporary FoV boost. There are two more buttons on the other side of the mouse that function as Page Up and Down by default so they were automatically 'adjust zeroing', which is pretty convenient.

Edited by mZLY

My mistake, bad formatting of words P: 

I didn't really mean (now that I think of it...) that the hand is flying P: 

But more like stretching to the left with the pinkie gives you nothing, there's nothing to reach further to the left.

While (I guess) having your fingers on ESDF still allows you to reach shift/ctrl, caps, tab etc. with ease, (with the pinkie!) netting you 3 (with my tiny hands) new cool looking buttons to the right! (YHB)

O_O

OffTopic:

I'm a ctrl (crouch) and alt (prone) guy P: This makes it a little (tiiiiny) more difficult with smooth keybindings in ArmA3. In A2 I used all keybdings as default except those two.

In A3 I've had to make some adjustments.... hence the 'space'! Been trying to keep it as similiar to A2 as possible.

For freelook I used (and use) MouseButton5 (I believe) with a hold and double tap function. MB4 is for 1st and 3rd person.

CapsLock = push-to-talk

Space = sprint

Shift (hold) = walk

2x tab = firing mode (burst/single/auto/launcher)

shift+tab = change optics mode

F / ctrl+F = Throw / Change

Still messing around with it abit.

Edited by Freeaze

I only ever use the arrow keys and basically the right hand side of the keyboard..my wasd keys are always shiny and new whenever a keyboard expires. I like having my movement keys in a little island by themselves without all of the other keys in the way. Whatever is comfortable is where it is at really for anyone.

2i1cmlk.jpg

I only ever use the arrow keys and basically the right hand side of the keyboard..my wasd keys are always shiny and new whenever a keyboard expires. I like having my movement keys in a little island by themselves without all of the other keys in the way. Whatever is comfortable is where it is at really for anyone.

2i1cmlk.jpg

The down & right arrow key got 9s! Shit's getting serious now, dawg.

Edited by Gesundheit
  • Like 1