Sign in to follow this  
AtypicNic

Looking to get started

I'm looking into this kind of game, a zombie and survival mode with more realism than what I've played in the past. I read some guide(s) linked from this site and it is noted to get the ArmA2: Combined Operations game, when on steam they have a note about DayZ and suggest getting the full ArmaA2 collection for 'better textures' - I could see this being true if the mod sources materials from other versions. However I am a bit weary of this, because it is $40 instead of $25 and I hear news that ArmA3 will be out full soon. So is this a ploy of Steam to get more of my money, or is this really valid?

I wasn't sure if I should get the full ArmA2 or just the lesser one. In addition I was wondering if DayZ will be released for ArmA3 - if so will it be a wise upgrade to get?

Thanks!

dayz uses assets from the baf and pmc dlc so if you go for the whole pack you get better textures on some cars and skins its totally up to you if you want that it doesnt really effect most people playing without them

A3 is out on alpha atm noone knows if a "DayZ" port will be made for it you may see like dayz mods for it.

arma itself is a brilliant game and its worth paying just for that ... the mod is a bonus

Cool, thanks for the information. One more quick question before I start the download. I've owned steam and non-steam games. I've never had mods or ports for games on steam, they are standalone games and thus seemed to be in my control. With steam I have a feeling there may be problems with mod(s) in game. Should I try to find a non-steam version or not sweat it? I see the guides go both ways and support steam installs...

Cool, thanks for the information. One more quick question before I start the download. I've owned steam and non-steam games. I've never had mods or ports for games on steam, they are standalone games and thus seemed to be in my control. With steam I have a feeling there may be problems with mod(s) in game. Should I try to find a non-steam version or not sweat it? I see the guides go both ways and support steam installs...

Steam version is ok, am sure the dayz mod is on there too, but if not you can use DayzCommander to download all stuff you need to play dayz.

You deff need Arma 2 and Arma 2 operation arrowhead to run Dayz.

I doubt very much Dayz will be out on Arma 3, But Arma 3 is an awesome game without Dayz anyway :P

But Dayz standalone alpha will be realeased sometime in June this year, but id deff get Arma 2 to play Dayz as its one of the most memorable games i have ever played.

I went ahead and bought the ArmA2 Full Package (more or less what it's called, ha ha)

I remember playing ArmA...possibly just the original or a free version, playing the training grounds. I was very disappointed with the play controls and the movement. From video of DayZ I have seen it looks like the movement is pretty decent.

Now that my questions have been answered I'm just curious about the player count for DayZ? Are there still highly active servers for the U.S. - or is it just a handful of servers across the states?

Edited by AtypicNic

It's a great learning tool until you get to Standalone then i'll understand how to survive there better, check out our server it's a great server to start off with since we removed OP weapons.