Sign in to follow this  
nox81

New Player, had a great first night on this.

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few days prior to getting DayZ, im a long time Arma player and finally jumped on, made sense as a big walking dead fan. My only gripe is why the hell didnt i do it ages ago!

Played for the first time last night, it was great. I was alone and unarmed trying to scavenge some supplys when a guy who was close to where i was asked for help in side chat, i was close to his location (according to him, as i had no map) and agreed. I was afraid he might be out to kill me but as a complete bambi i had little to loose. Others warned me it may be a trap but i went along and met this guy. I gave him a blood transfusion and pain killers and in return he gave me a water bottle and a lee enfield with ten rounds. He also took me to his camp in the woods and showed me how to do a supply run in a near by village. I learned to fill my water bottle up and how to best deal with zeds in the town. It may sound like basics but it was invaluable.

There was this moment where im stood there behind him, and hes telling me not to fire my gun due to noise while he is killing zeds with his crossbow and hatchet, it was a very walking dead-esc moment.

Alas after we went our seperate ways i got too ambitious in that same village and got cornered, ran out of ammo and got eaten.

Now im alone again somewhere else, i've managed to get a hatchet and some food and drink, (killed my first cow) and a map. At the end of play last night i was laying low as night fall closed in. Tonight when i play i know im going to need to get a gun to protect myself, had no luck finding one yet.

I guess the point of this post is to say that luckily my first encounter with another survivor was a friendly one and a great learning experience that got me off on the right foot. I know in the future i'll come across guys who just want to kill and rob me, but damn that just adds to the excitment. Maybe when im an experinced player, i might just do as he did for me and lead a bambi to water.......either that or between now and then i'll develop into a cold hearted murderer who'll do anything for a bit of loot!

Great game, loads of atmosphere and great community.

• Like 4

Good afternoon Sir!

A good read - I am due to spend all my free pennies on my first gaming rig next week to play this game. It's stories like these that convince me it will be worth it :)

Goose

You were lucky, lol.

The first survivor that I met was friendly for all of 30 seconds and then tried to kill me. :C

...And that was way back when, when there were more friendly than hostile people around, lol.

Glad you're enjoying DayZ anyways... ^_^

Edited by mZLY

Good afternoon Sir!

A good read - I am due to spend all my free pennies on my first gaming rig next week to play this game. It's stories like these that convince me it will be worth it :)

Goose

It will be worth it m8. im sure you'll have some stories yourself within a few hours of play. Dont be discouraged by how difficult it can seem early on. Before i met that guy i got lost in forrest for ages lol, i think the fact its really challenging is a big part of the fun.

and thanks for the welcomes guys

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, and also that your first experience with other players was a positive one!

Don't pay too much attention to the doom-mongers, despite popular belief, the majority of players won't shoot you on sight as long as you don't give them a reason to. Yes, there are more than a few idiots out there who haven't managed to work out that DayZ isn't a deathmatch, but in my experience, those folks are generally outnumbered fairly heavily by folks who will simply let you go on your way as long as they don't have a reason to kill you (said reason could vary from being afraid that you might attack them right through to 'they like the look of your gear' :P).

DayZ is a big wide world, and there's so much to see and do that having a tour guide to help you through some of the more complicated stuff can be a huge help early on. For all its brilliance, the learning curve can be more or less vertical at times, so having someone explain stuff like how your backpack works can be a huge help. :)

For all its brilliance, the learning curve can be more or less vertical at times, so having someone explain stuff like how your backpack works can be a huge help. :)

Ha yeh the backpack and inventory takes some getting used to thats for sure, i got into a panic a few times trying to put stuff in it while the noises of zombies close by got louder :beans:

im a Hero if you every need help just contact me

Ha yeh the backpack and inventory takes some getting used to thats for sure, i got into a panic a few times trying to put stuff in it while the noises of zombies close by got louder :beans:

Oh, and in case no-one's told you yet, be careful when moving weapons around if you don't have more than 10 spaces free in your backpack - it will eat your weapon! Found that out the hard way. :P

Welcome to the game mate, sounds to me like you're the type of discerning player it was aimed at!

Glad you got some assistance upon playing, not everyone out there is out to get you! If you ever want to tag along witha few other players feel free to check us out on our server or website (no obligation to join the clan), we're always happy to help out a few Bambi's and show tehm teh ropes. We also run the Taviana map, which in my opinion is the best map for Day Z given it's a more urban map with many more points of interest and much larger than the rest.

Other than that, good luck with your exploration of the mod and hope you continue to enjoy it!

I've been helping bambis quite a lot recently. Just last night I met someone who was literally playing for the first time, in Balota.

The poor guy was proned out, a guy trying to rp a crazy person or something above him, telling the newbie to "squeel like a piggeh", holding a revolver. I snuck up on the two, and when it was clear the crazy was going to kill the guy ("Well, that was good, but it seems you have no more use! Goo-") I got up and shot the crazy in the side of the head with my M4SD. Crazy even "death screamed" in direct as he went down.

Crowning moment of awesome when I come in, blood bag him, morphine him, and lead him through Cherno, telling him of loot spots and danger spots.

Felt pretty damn badass. I don't care what people say, I love this mod.

• Like 2

Oh, and in case no-one's told you yet, be careful when moving weapons around if you don't have more than 10 spaces free in your backpack - it will eat your weapon! Found that out the hard way. :P

Thanks for the heads up but yeh i had heard that one through a fellow bambies troubles in side chat.

Welcome to the game mate, sounds to me like you're the type of discerning player it was aimed at!

Glad you got some assistance upon playing, not everyone out there is out to get you! If you ever want to tag along witha few other players feel free to check us out on our server or website (no obligation to join the clan), we're always happy to help out a few Bambi's and show tehm teh ropes. We also run the Taviana map, which in my opinion is the best map for Day Z given it's a more urban map with many more points of interest and much larger than the rest.

Other than that, good luck with your exploration of the mod and hope you continue to enjoy it!

Many thanks, i'll be sure to check you guys out in the future!

I guess you learned why the lee enfield is a called the dinner bell the hard way.

Great weapon, but only to be used for self defense vs other players. Even then, I'd only recommend it if you have had some experience running around avoiding zeds, because you'll have a lot of them on your back as soon as you fire.

Welcome to the forums, BenjamK! Good luck with whatever path you choose to take. Have a lot of fun! :thumbsup: :beans:

I have played regular Arma 2 for a few hours before getting this mod but I am In need of a clan. I played last night and after 30 minutes of asking player on the server how, and with no help, I figured out how to bring up my flashlight. I ran around a little found some z's and ran a little bit, dropped temperature, got scared because all i heard was grunts, and growls and a creepy soundtrack. So if you dont mind I would like to play your server and help out scavenging or wherever needed. I'll be on tonight. I'm in Florida btw so its 12:41 here. tonight = 6:00pm

• Like 1

I guess you learned why the lee enfield is a called the dinner bell the hard way.

Great weapon, but only to be used for self defense vs other players. Even then, I'd only recommend it if you have had some experience running around avoiding zeds, because you'll have a lot of them on your back as soon as you fire.

The dinner bell haha, nice.

Yes i learned that very lesson the hard way, a huge hoard overwhelmed me, as you pointed out me firing and dropping each zed only brought another 5.... :|

I made a supply run earlier today in total darkness with a hatchet (had no gun but landed a pistol during the run), i dont shoot now at zeds unless totally unavoidable. It felt great sneaking through the wandering zeds in pitch black darkness with the rain pouring down with the hatchet at the ready! Needless to say i went into the hills after the run, lit my first fire, cooked my first steak and had a can of soda to celebrate making it out alive and get warm.

Question is tonight do i risk another run in the same town or hit the road and see what's waiting elsewhere.....

cheers for the welcomes!

OP:

me too mate. good here, isn't it.

after literally months of trying to get this game to run without freezing every 20 seconds I find out to set DayZ commander to close when game starts.

what a muppet eh?

I'm finding the help threads and links really useful on this site. so thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to make them.

I'm an old Arma2 player, and never thought I'd take to this zombie survival thing, but its pretty addictive. I just escaped from that miserable War Z. enough said :(

Anyway, like he said, better late than never :)

Hi Radr, don't forget there are hundreds of hives available for you to join. You can find them all in the Private Hive Discussion Forum. :thumbsup:

• Like 1