Bounty Hunter

Advice for new PC user? :D

Hello fellow Dayz players! I originally played xbox and ps3 but this game got me interested and so this is my first pc game and i'm very excited about playing alongside other survivors!

I was just wondering if there was any advice for a new PC gamer getting used to the new controls? (The moment i got into the game i couldn't even open my backpack lol) If there is any advice for a PC noob it would be great,

Also is there any servers that are good and original? i'm looking for a good server with people playing the game fairly although i know there are hackers in every server i was hoping i could find one i could stay on as it's annoying every time i join a server only to be kicked after 10 minutes.

Thanks and hope to see you guys out there

If you want to learn the control look through the key bindings, but Armas interface isn't the best. Best ways to avoid hackers is get in a whitelist server, I'm pretty sure they advertise in the private hive section of the forum.

Edited by Cone Drone

ARMA's controls are a bit convoluted, but they're quite logical when you think about it...

G - gear

M - map

B - binoculars

Etc...

You'll get the hang of it though, it's just the inventory that's a pain when you're new.

You could try Balota Buddies if you're looking for a hack-free server that doesn't have 9,001 vehicles, starter gear, 24/7 daylight and all the other super-noob friendly stuff that's become commonplace.

Check their forums for info on how to get access.

Check the private-hives sub-forum on here if you wanna take a look at others too though.

Edited by mZLY

A couple things that took me a while to get the hang of, is learning how to use your backpack. There are some good youtube videos on explaining how it works.

Also, when I started, I didn't really like the mouse-wheel contextual menu, but the more I play the more I love it. Based on what your crosshairs are pointed at, your mouse wheel will have different options. This helps speed up your play and open/close doors quickly, for instance.

• Like 1

Another quick question, 1. how do i pick stuff up ( sounds stupid but honestly i really don't know >.<) and secondly can i punch a zombie? i mean i have no weapon and i'm running for my life right now :D

Another quick question, 1. how do i pick stuff up ( sounds stupid but honestly i really don't know >.<) and secondly can i punch a zombie? i mean i have no weapon and i'm running for my life right now :D

You can't punch sadly. Items on the ground or body is on the left to bring it to your inventory move it to the right. Edited by Man vs Wild

If you're under the age of 16, not squeal on side chat with your mic.

Other than that, just check the controls from the menu, play for a bit and rebind any commands to different keys that you feel better to use.

The rest of it is all down to how you play and what you prefer.

To pick stuff up, just walk up to it and watch for the icon to change. Then use your mouse wheel to select what you want to do. Sometimes, your mouse wheel will only show something like "Gear". Make sure Gear is highlighted, then press mouse wheel button and your gear will come up. The items with quantities on the left-hand side are things in the "pile" that you can pick up, assuming you have the inventory space.

Other stuff can be picked up right off the ground without opening Gear. For instance, if you mouse wheel on a soda can, you may get an option like "Pick up Soda Can (Coke)" or something like that. If I'm not fearing for my life, I usually just open up gear before picking anything up, so I can make sure I have enough space and nothing gets dropped.

A tip that I wish I would have done sooner, go find a supermarket (I picked the one in Elektro) and upgrade your backpack to an Assault or Alice to get more backpack space. You can store stuff like firewood and camping tent in pack so it doesn't hog up inventory space. Not to mention, lots of other necessities can spawn in supermarket. Yesterday I got lucky and found compass and matches. Now I just need a dang map, but dayzwiki has one you can use from another machine (unless you are feeling ballsy and alt-tab out to a browser map) :)

I don't think you can melee attack. First item of business should be going to a nearby barn and picking up a Hatchet. To me, so far, the hatchet is my best friend. You can one-shot most zombies, and it's quiet so it won't alert other zombies that you are killing them (unlike firing a gun in town...made that mistake once...). Also hatchets allow you to collect firewood which you'll need to make a fire and cook raw meat to recover blood.

Hey! So a bit of advice for you being new to PC and so on, make sure you know your hotkeys and you know them well. Nothing can be more frustrating that dying simply because you couldnt push a button fast enough. You must double click your backpack in order to access your supplies. Try and get a microphone if you want to play this game seriously. Practice is needed to navigate Chernarus safely. Dont trust randoms, and stick to the forest/tree lines. If looting big city always make sure you have a friend covering you. Always scout a new town with binoculars. Always zig zag when running from a sniper randomely. Secure a weapon and secure it fast. Never leave a gun in your backpack WITH the ammo.

And as far as good servers go I reconmend you try out our 28 DayZ Later Server. FIlter "JackPot" or join via IP "74.91.123.191:2302 We are an original DayZ Chernarus server with some modifications that help in the immersion. We have very strong antihacks and a dedicated team.

More information and what people think of our server is on this thread http://dayzmod.com/f...ag-free-server/ Please check us out.

We are running this server off of a 4 Core Nehalem Processor with Hyperthreading at 3.9GHz, as well as 4GB of Dedicated Ram. Your experience will be hack and lag free. At the moment we are pretty new and offering a deal.

If you bring a friend on to the server, you can receive a sidearm of your choice and Czech Backpack spawn.

We also have a teamspeak and will have a private whitelist server with the same hive, a server players can retreat to if under hacker attack. We do rollbacks, active log monitoring, dayz Anti hax, GOtcha anti hacks, Directory/Memory scan, Ip Bans, Battleye Extended Controls, as well as TSW antihacks.

On top of this we are running exclusive scripts and player behavious tracking programs to weed out hackers.

Edited by orlok
Try to keep it OnTopic and avoid those horrible horrible colours.
  • Like 1

Another tip I would give as well is play a little bit of Arma 2, It will help you get you setup the way you want it, help with gun play as well as you can use the editor to get use to the varies guns available and also if your planning on trying to find a chopper I suggest learning to fly first in Arma 2, I only say that since it went so poorly for me first time I found a chopper... bad times had by all involved especially the cow.

Play first 5 missions of arma 2 on expert. That is all

wow alot of advice on here from the forums! thanks a lot for all the useful tips! also when they bring this game out as a standalone they need to let you punch haha :D

Hey! So a bit of advice for you being new to PC and so on, make sure you know your hotkeys and you know them well. Nothing can be more frustrating that dying simply because you couldnt push a button fast enough. You must double click your backpack in order to access your supplies. Try and get a microphone if you want to play this game seriously. Practice is needed to navigate Chernarus safely. Dont trust randoms, and stick to the forest/tree lines. If looting big city always make sure you have a friend covering you. Always scout a new town with binoculars. Always zig zag when running from a sniper randomely. Secure a weapon and secure it fast. Never leave a gun in your backpack WITH the ammo.

And as far as good servers go I reconmend you try out our 28 DayZ Later Server. FIlter "JackPot" or join via IP "74.91.123.191:2302 We are an original DayZ Chernarus server with some modifications that help in the immersion. We have very strong antihacks and a dedicated team.

More information and what people think of our server is on this thread http://dayzmod.com/f...ag-free-server/ Please check us out.

We are running this server off of a 4 Core Nehalem Processor with Hyperthreading at 3.9GHz, as well as 4GB of Dedicated Ram. Your experience will be hack and lag free. At the moment we are pretty new and offering a deal.

If you bring a friend on to the server, you can receive a sidearm of your choice and Czech Backpack spawn.

We also have a teamspeak and will have a private whitelist server with the same hive, a server players can retreat to if under hacker attack. We do rollbacks, active log monitoring, dayz Anti hax, GOtcha anti hacks, Directory/Memory scan, Ip Bans, Battleye Extended Controls, as well as TSW antihacks.

On top of this we are running exclusive scripts and player behavious tracking programs to weed out hackers.

Also i just tried accessing your server and for some strange reason it kicked me off, something about battleeye?

Edited by orlok

A couple things that took me a while to get the hang of, is learning how to use your backpack. There are some good youtube videos on explaining how it works.

Also, when I started, I didn't really like the mouse-wheel contextual menu, but the more I play the more I love it. Based on what your crosshairs are pointed at, your mouse wheel will have different options. This helps speed up your play and open/close doors quickly, for instance.

Hey cjens which server do you play on?

Hey cjens which server do you play on?

I've got a few that I've tried out, but haven't really found a "home" server. I'd like to find a more permanent residence though. Mainly so I can get acquainted with a clan or whatever so I don't have to fear for my life as much ;) My current survivor is finally able to survive in the wild with hunting animals/gutting them/cooking meat on a fire, so I'm a little paranoid about coming in contact with any humies and losing all that progress via an AK47 bullet to the face. Also got an ALICE pack which is noice!

Ah, I see you're from Iowa as well!

Edited by cjens19

ok, so the best to update your battleye and DayZ is to open DayZ commander and then go to 'intall/updates' from then you will see the option to update both DayZ mod and ArmA II try that method, if not Private message me if you have further problems. Edited by orlok

ok, so the best to update your battleye and DayZ is to open DayZ commander and then go to 'intall/updates' from then you will see the option to update both DayZ mod and ArmA II try that method, if not Private message me if you have further problems.

i use withsix to install it, i didnt know the difference between the two so i just guessed to use this one

thanks i'll check some of these out, i never knew there were so many servers in this game! makes the choice hard >.<

I've got a few that I've tried out, but haven't really found a "home" server. I'd like to find a more permanent residence though. Mainly so I can get acquainted with a clan or whatever so I don't have to fear for my life as much ;) My current survivor is finally able to survive in the wild with hunting animals/gutting them/cooking meat on a fire, so I'm a little paranoid about coming in contact with any humies and losing all that progress via an AK47 bullet to the face. Also got an ALICE pack which is noice!

Ah, I see you're from Iowa as well!

Yup, I am in Des Moines!

I play on the laughing man, ped man (50.97.49.84:3340), radioactive playground, and oc gaming (173.192.200.117:3187)

Edited by walten34

I've got a few that I've tried out, but haven't really found a "home" server. I'd like to find a more permanent residence though. Mainly so I can get acquainted with a clan or whatever so I don't have to fear for my life as much ;) My current survivor is finally able to survive in the wild with hunting animals/gutting them/cooking meat on a fire, so I'm a little paranoid about coming in contact with any humies and losing all that progress via an AK47 bullet to the face.

Thats exactly how im starting to feel, i've not got a great deal compared to what is possible but i have the equipment to hunt and feed myself, light camp fires, meds, a map, binocs, compass...I feel very nervy about contact with humies as it took some effort and close calls to even gather that much. Thats the genius of the game, making you feel the survival instinct and tension.

• Like 1

Thats exactly how im starting to feel, i've not got a great deal compared to what is possible but i have the equipment to hunt and feed myself, light camp fires, meds, a map, binocs, compass...I feel very nervy about contact with humies as it took some effort and close calls to even gather that much. Thats the genius of the game, making you feel the survival instinct and tension.

The better items you get, the more paranoid you become.

Such a rush when you have a full kit of good gear and you hear gunshots being fired towards you - a bit of an adrenaline kick!

Welcome to the forums, Bounty Hunter. You're doing great. Get used to dying is my best advice to you and BenjamK. When you have a lot of stuff, the first time you die is devastating. You have to drag yourself back up and start over. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums, Bounty Hunter. You're doing great. Get used to dying is my best advice to you and BenjamK. When you have a lot of stuff, the first time you die is devastating. You have to drag yourself back up and start over. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Sula, i've experience plenty of dying already however not by a players hand, mostly due to the zombies chasing me out of towns :D also do you know a good server i could use with friendly people? some of the servers i've tried are just full of paranoid people looking to kill 'bambies' if anyone has a decent server and a good helpful community i'd like to join! before you ask i've already decided to avoid becoming a bandit :)