Sign in to follow this  
HashSlingingSlasher192

changes in character through actions

I thought it would be realistic to add changes in a character based on his actions

like say if he shoots his gun a lot in enclosed areas (like a house) he may put his hand on his ear or blink more (due to sound and flash)

or if somebody spends a lot of time using a melee weapon he may pretend he is using the said melee weapon

and maybe if somebody likes to kos no matter what he would watch his back more and his hand would start to clench whenever he has a gun and is around a player

if you spend a long time prone you will stretch for a while and bend your back

or if you like to rob people or blow people up you may giggle at other people when you face their backs

only problem is it may be a bit too easy to tell if players are good or bad

btw I checked for other threads if something like this is on the thread put up a link

ill add more and please tell me your ideas

Edited by HashSlingingSlasher192

No, forced actions limit your play Style, I don't want my guy doing random crap for some random reason

Especially If its the way im playing the game currently.

Lets not turn this into WarZ (where everyone is a crackhead looking for their next fix of twichyness)

• Like 1

No, forced actions limit your play Style, I don't want my guy doing random crap for some random reason

Especially If its the way im playing the game currently.

Lets not turn this into WarZ (where everyone is a crackhead looking for their next fix of twichyness)

well some (if not all) make sense I mean your ear would start to hurt if you shoot your gun a lot.

I really don't understand OP's suggestions.

Put a hand on his ear or blink more if he shoots a lot?

Pretending the use of melee weapons?

Are you suggesting players slowly turn schizophrenic?

I really don't understand OP's suggestions.

Put a hand on his ear or blink more if he shoots a lot?

Pretending the use of melee weapons?

Are you suggesting players slowly turn schizophrenic?

what I mean by blinking more and putting your hand on your ear is if you shoot a lot with gun wih a lot of flash it would hurt your eye and since guns make a lot of noise it would damage your ear

Im sorry but I shoot guns a bit now and again, and I dont always use ear plugs and My ears do not hurt. And I definitely don't blink more when I go shoot a couple cases of whatever I bought.

No- I love how in DayZ currently when your not doing anything your character does Nothing because it matches what your doing IRL at the time...Nothing.

There are suggestions similar to this that were meant to replace humanity. I personally like the idea, but it needs to be subtle enough so that you might not notice it unless you really look for it.

Regarding sound/vision after flashes and bangs, there are already filters in place to simulate ringing in the ears, eyes adjusting to brightness etc.

And that's all that's needed.

The character you control should be under your control. Only their senses should be affected by in-game actions.

If you want characters to start giggling or looking over their shoulder and generally acting without any input, you should be watching a film instead of playing a game.

Idle-animations I'm ok with. As long as it's not excessive.

Might be interesting to try out a mechanic, where firing your gun in fast succession, multiple times and within a certain time frame without hearing protection would lower your hearing, and eventually make you deaf.

Might be interesting to try out a mechanic, where firing your gun in fast succession, multiple times and within a certain time frame without hearing protection would lower your hearing, and eventually make you deaf.
It's an interesting concept, but much like gamma-boosting at night, folks would just crank up their volume to compensate.

It's an interesting concept, but much like gamma-boosting at night, folks would just crank up their volume to compensate.

Yeah, I thought about that, but just having that possibility of becoming completely deaf to in game sounds would almost certainly affect people's behaviour, and for that reason alone I think it might be worth a shot to try this out.

For the experiment's sake :)

Lol no, Becoming Deaf would be terrible, and would take a long time

Also Idle Animations are bad too I want no involuntary animations, they are wasteful and cheesy

No, this would be painfully annoying. I would rage quit if I had to put up with the slow swinging of a hatchet, that isn't there, or giggling at someones back (which, by the way, makes no sense). Nope

Edited by dulix11

Also Idle Animations are bad too I want no involuntary animations, they are wasteful and cheesy
An entire world where nobody shuffles their feet, yawns, stretches or scartches their arse?! :o

I thought we were going for authenticity?

It's next to impossible to stay perfectly still for any sustained length of time in reality.

We're talking "idle-animations" not juggling or cartwheels.

Adding life to an otherwise statue-like idle player shouldn't be a game-breaker.

EDIT:

From what I remember (or half-remember), your character's needs will be expressed with auditory and visual cues, since there's no HUD in SA.

I'd guess that means more animations to express certain conditions at the very least.

Edited by Chabowski

Lol no, Becoming Deaf would be terrible, and would take a long time

are you just saying no to everything without even considering it. I mean if you have a better idea I would be happy to hear it

I don't think this is a very good suggestion. Sound almost like some freak-version of sith corruption in swtor. I think making you hair grow (growing a beard) and make clothes get diry based on the time your character has survived. A change starting after 7 days or something and its getting whorst for every week. If you then want a change based on actions you can make bandits get this criminal/unfriendly look on thier face or something.