papermilk

Radio System For Those Long Road Trips

Not sure if someone has suggested this already but I think somthing like a radio system you see in GTA or like HLDG for Half Life games would be very cool for this game. When me and my friends find ourself a car and make our way to the North West we like to play music in vehciale chat to pass the time which is pretty fun and being able to upload your songs and play them through vehicale chat for those long road trips would be pretty fun :)

suggested many many times

still a good idea though

the more we bring it up, the more attention the devs will give to this

• Like 1

The main problem is the rights to use songs are prohibitively expensive, so no in-built music radio is likely.

BI would need some serious legal paperwork to allow any player-uploading along those lines, too.

It's not going to happen.

Radio communication is probably going to be included, and broadcast channels can be adopted by any groups in-game.

BUT, discussing what is essentially a pirate radio station is NOT a good idea.

I don't want to stir the hornets nest, so I'll leave you to it.

The main problem is the rights to use songs are prohibitively expensive, so no in-built music radio is likely.

BI would need some serious legal paperwork to allow any player-uploading along those lines, too.

It's not going to happen.

Radio communication is probably going to be included, and broadcast channels can be adopted by any groups in-game.

BUT, discussing what is essentially a pirate radio station is NOT a good idea.

I don't want to stir the hornets nest, so I'll leave you to it.

I guess that's true about them needing the rights to use the songs but i'm sure that dosn't stop people from uploading there own content since it's been done before without trouble

I'm not too familliar with the license regulations or anything, but somebody would have to accept responsibility for any uploads, and I don't think Bohemia can trust folk to stick to the rules.

If you've seen the amount of hassle folk get for uploading stuff to Youtube, you'll have a rough idea.

Copyright owners go MENTAL over that sort of thing.

EDIT:

What do you mean when you say it's been done before?

It'd be a cool feature, but it's potentially a legal minefield.

Edited by Chabowski

Sprocket has hinted at radio comms replacing side chat. As for music, see the above post.

I'm not too familliar with the license regulations or anything, but somebody would have to accept responsibility for any uploads, and I don't think Bohemia can trust folk to stick to the rules.

If you've seen the amount of hassle folk get for uploading stuff to Youtube, you'll have a rough idea.

Copyright owners go MENTAL over that sort of thing.

EDIT:

What do you mean when you say it's been done before?

It'd be a cool feature, but it's potentially a legal minefield.

I was thinking it could be like http://www.hldj.org/

this program allow people to play audio in any Half Life match even in GTA SA there is a option that lets you upload audio and listen to it in game just a thought really

I see what you mean now.

I suppose the rules are just different for official features in a standalone retail product.

As a Half-life or GTA mod, the creators of the base-game can hold thier hands up and say "we didn't do it"

If DayZ shipped with this feature it would probably kick up a massive shitstorm.

The specifics of it are worth looking at though because none of my guesswork is going to hold-up in court.

Fair enough mate :)

I guess playing music through the speakers into the mic will have to do for now.

Cars should just have old Russian cassettes in. If there is a radio station it'd ruin immersion on so many levels.

You forget one major thing...who would man the radio station other than DJ Z?
Anyone could.

There's a bit of an art to it, but it's not exactly rocket science.

Anyone who can tape down the broadcast button on a handset and play a CD or MP3 is a potential DJ.

Pretty much exactly what the OP's on about with vehicle chat.

I reckon radio green mountain (RGM) would be a good idea, too.

Cars should just have old Russian cassettes in. If there is a radio station it'd ruin immersion on so many levels.
I bet you don't consider the fact that every car is uinlocked with the keys in it to be immersion breaking though, eh? :P

EDIT: *Shakes fist* I'll break your immersion in a minute.

I reckon a radio station could be as end-game as a powerplant or any other purpose-serving building you can occupy.

@Sodesa, add it to the list :D

Edited by Chabowski

There's a lot of music that has no copyrights on it/copyright that lets anyone use it. I'm sure there are plenty of DayZ fans who write good music, too.

This is 2012 and Chernaraus is fairly decent in the technology field. If having a radio ruins your immersion then I feel bad for you.

Edited by TheDesigner

There was another topic where me and Private Evans were talking about having an acoustic jam on side-chat or over radio-comms.

The delay would fuck it up royally, but I like the idea.

Maybe it would have to be a live-set from one source.

There was another topic where me and Private Evans were talking about having an acoustic jam on side-chat or over radio-comms.

The delay would fuck it up royally, but I like the idea.

Maybe it would have to be a live-set from one source.

Someone playing music 24/7? Nah.

Next thing, the guys in the backseat will cry for those small screen tv`s and movies, so they dont get bored on the long trips.

Make the radio station one of the functional buildings discussed in one of the threads in my signature.

Next thing, the guys in the backseat will cry for those small screen tv`s and movies, so they dont get bored on the long trips.

Oh hey that's not a bad idea ahaha

I doubt many people will actually use a radio system, rather just use a VoIP program like Skype or TeamSpeak.

It would still be a damn cool feature though.

there is a arma 2 module for this called CLAYTONS CAR RADIO

it uses all arma2 and OA music for its tracks, and it take like 4 seconds to download, and only takes 5 seconds to put into a mission for arma2