Wick94

How can people just run around town with rifles?

I see people running around with their rifles drawn at all time..and i don't understand how they manage. I mean, i always have my axe equipped because the few times i've tried using a rifle, of any sound level, i end up attracting 15 other zombies, not to mention players. Yet i see people with their rifles going through cities like nothing..which is also a problem for me since i only have my axe equipped which makes me an easy prey. I suppose i could keep a rifle in my backpack and take it out when a survivor is near, but i could still be caught of guard and putting back my axe in my toolbelt, opening my back and equpping a rifle takes quite alot of time..and using it against zombies would still be out of question.

So my conclusion to all this is that i must be doing something very wrong and i would like to know what exactly. So here i am asking you, what am i doing wrong?

Regards,

a DayZ noobie.

• Like 1

You take care of Zombies, most of the people just ignore them...

It's the easyer way to stay alive ;)

• Like 3

Either draw them in to a building and run away or draw them in to a building and swap to a mellee weapon to deal with them. Moving around with anything other than a rifle equipped isn't smart unless you're hoping whoever you run in to won't attack you as you're unable to defend yourself.

• Like 3

Depends what server you are on and how busy it is too. I tend to only deal with the zombies that agro around me when im getting gear. Even using my pistol it attracts a few more but after the first 5 or so are killed they stop bothering me for long enough to get what i want and bug out.

When im raiding barracks on Taviana I tend to use my rifle as they spawn 15-30+ zombies that all try to rush you so you need to pepper them and take them out. Obviously i sue smoke and other techniques to help me do this though.

• Like 2

So the answer is simply kill all the zombies? Maybe that's easier than it seems to me.

Depends on the situation. Killing zombies, especially with a rifle, can draw a lot of attention. I prefer to use a hatchet or just run away from them.

• Like 2

no, just ignore them until you need to do something witch needs time or space without Zombies.

I kill less Zombies than Players because when im in a Town, i just try to loose zombies by breaking the line of sight or run threw Buildings etc.

• Like 2

Yeah I have no problem dropping my gun to take out my hatchet to kill a zombie then picking it back up.

• Like 2

If you switch between standing and crouched running and are aware of the surface you're running on, you can lose zombies after cutting two or so corners.

If zombie aggros run fast around a corner, running might alert other zombies, but after one or two corners, switch to crouched running to lower your noise profile and they will lose line of sight and wont be able to hear you.

• Like 1

killem ... only enter a building if you have a way out... or enough ammo to kill EVERYONE ....

everyoneo.gif

Edited by Rott
  • Like 1

^^What Gary Oldman said. :)

• Like 1

Remember: The f**king zombies are f**king d**kheads. Just run away from them. But the real f**king d**kheads are the players who KoS.

• Like 1

Once you become familiar with navigating through the cities and the map in general, you'll be able to take Sunday strolls and take your Primary with you! Many people just keep them out for self protection if they were to ever stumble across another player, or if they get in a tight spot with the infected.

Edited by Intensity on DayZ
  • Like 1

You do not use guns on zombies in built up areas unless they are silent or you really need to.

But if you have your main weapon drawn you can forward roll...and if it's done correctly this is vastly superior to stridding over fences

So that's why you may see me leg it past waving my primary in Cherno :)

Edited by wolf urine
  • Like 1

I would like to just find a rifle. Then i'll think about shooting it.

Remember: The f**king zombies are f**king d**kheads. Just run away from them. But the real f**king d**kheads are the players who KoS.

i resent that comment i KoS because im a bandit get over it...

(edit i dont shoot new spawns)

to get back on topic i never kill zombies, i never romove my hatchet from my toolbelt just avoid and get rid by running through buildings. if im out of a city i will kill them with my secondary but only after running for 2-3 minutes and if there are no pine trees close by

Edited by beatSTV

I suppose i could keep a rifle in my backpack and take it out when a survivor is near

You'd be dead before drawing your weapon. At times, you're better off not carrying anything visible at all.

As for zombies: if you run into a building with two entrances, you can shake off any half-eager maneater by simply running in on one side and out the other. Zombies can't run inside. Most experienced players don't bother engaging zombies because they simply don't have to.

For me, it just boils down to the level of ammo I have. I usually do have my rifle out considering I usually have a good amount of ammo available. I always work in a team with my friends, one of us will attract the zombies, run into a building and kill them while the others start their run through the town and loot things. Once they're done, they attract zombies while the other gets to loot.

And, since we work in teams and usually look over the city before we go in, other people have never been a problem. If we see someone, we simply tell them that if they kill one of us, we'll strike back harder than they struck us (we have yet to do this, but that entails following them back to their camp, killing them, and destroying everything). People usually heed the warning, and in turn I usually help them out for not being dicks.

Even if I'm alone, I don't worry about it too much. I'm to the point where I'm not so intimidated by zombies as I once was. If you want to lose them, all you have to do is run through a building or two then go prone. Of if you're stuck, they line up pretty nicely for you to kill them. Once you learn how to lose them, you'll feel a bit better about carrying a rifle around. Even if it is loud as hell (like the Enfield, which is one of my more common choices since ammo for it spawns in abundance).

But, to the last point, the hatchet is actually a great weapon. I still use it occasionally, especially if I'm on a supply run and I dont want my weapons taking up so much inventory space.

Edited by Prototape

Easy...

1. Find a rifle, preferably the Lee Enfield.

2. Run towards Cherno or Elektro.

3. Profit??????????????

Just kidding...

But in all seriousness just stay on the move and you'll be fine.

Run inside a building! They walk in buildings so you just run out the other side and your all good, friend!

Just takes some practice losing them, you'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

because i iz 1337 pro no-scoperr

Primary out for protection, avoid zombies, if you pick up one or two zombies you can get away with headshots from a pistol like the makarov or g17, if you are in a building the noise is reduced by 50% im sure so if you really need to fire it might be worth getting into a building to killl a few zombies.

Be careful though, many a time I have took refuge in a building only to find out I had more zombies on my backside that ammo, results in death every time ;)

I use one of two methods. I either clear out a town from a few hundred meters away with a scoped rifle(usually CZ550, I find lots of them), or sneak around them. If I do aggro, I'll try to avoid them and break LOS. The best method against zombies is stealth, as just running into town ignoring every aggroed mother f'er in town is either pure stupid or naive new player syndrome.