Phew. So here comes the "I played it first" snobbery then.

It was only a matter of time.

Every game that had a public alpha or beta will have a fraction of the community crying their eyes out about natural community evolutions (wikis, guides, fansites) bringing the game down a "decline".

I've witnessed this especially with indie games and expansive mods, where the testers felt like they are entitled to a stagnant game without natural (and inevitable) evolutions.

Possibly the worst examples in recent memory, are Minecraft and Dungeon Defenders.

MC's crowd seems to perceive being in early as being more hardcore. Being an infdev player myself, I always find it curious why they could seriously argue a wiki is detrimental to the game.

DD has had even worse fates, with every patch that adjusted difficulty towards accessibility for new players, being called vile and leading to prophecies of doom.

Let's get something straight, shall we.

Having played this before maps and guides existed, we experienced many glorious moments of discovery and quite a few frustrating headscratchers as well.

Demanding this to stay is as impossible as it is counter-productive, as discouraging new players from joining a game via discomfort leads to a decaying process that is hard to stop.

There is ample precedent for a community pulling a game back up with coverage, tips and strategies. Counterstrike being the most radiant example, no doubt.

The idea that a community that actively engages in writing guides, making maps and helping out new players is part of a "declining state" is as unreasonable, as it is arrogant.

Phew. So here comes the "I played it first" snobbery then.

It was only a matter of time.

No. That was not what I was implying with my post at all.

Every game that had a public alpha or beta will have a fraction of the community crying their eyes out about natural community evolutions (wikis' date=' guides, fansites) bringing the game down a "decline".

I've witnessed this especially with indie games and expansive mods, where the testers felt like they are entitled to a stagnant game without natural (and inevitable) evolutions.[/quote']

Everyone is a tester in this game, from those of us who signed on a few weeks earlier, to those starting today. Some of us have a little more experience, but we are all on the same playing field.

Possibly the worst examples in recent memory, are Minecraft and Dungeon Defenders.

MC's crowd seems to perceive being in early as being more hardcore. Being an infdev player myself, I always find it curious why they could seriously argue a wiki is detrimental to the game.

DD has had even worse fates, with every patch that adjusted difficulty towards accessibility for new players, being called vile and leading to prophecies of doom.

Completely irrelevant in every possible way.

Let's get something straight, shall we.

This sounds like a definitive statement, wasn't aware we had a community leader

Having played this before maps and guides existed, we experienced many glorious moments of discovery and quite a few frustrating headscratchers as well.

Demanding this to stay is as impossible as it is counter-productive, as discouraging new players from joining a game via discomfort leads to a decaying process that is hard to stop.

When was it ever impossible? Not sure if you've noticed, but rocket is quite fond of the 'difficult' aspect of the game. Not only is ARMA one of the most TERRIBLE games to pick up and play learning curve-wise, but it's controls and UI are clunky and outdated. If you make it past all that, then you've paid your dues. What's wrong with bringing back a little old-school aspect to a game that just tosses you in and gives you a weapon and tells you to figure it out? The discomfort should be there. It's a zombie filled wasteland. I'd be confused too if I woke up on a beach with a handgun and some beans and no sense of where the hell I was at, but that's the entire point. If rocket would of intended to be easier he would of just started us out with a map (which ironically enough still wouldn't tell us where every bit of loot was)

There is ample precedent for a community pulling a game back up with coverage, tips and strategies. Counterstrike being the most radiant example, no doubt.

Two things come to mind here, one being that Counterstrike has never needed 'pulling back up', that game has survived this long without any help from a wiki or a guide, plain and simple. It's an example of a game with a strong community and solid gameplay.

The idea that a community that actively engages in writing guides, making maps and helping out new players is part of a "declining state" is as unreasonable, as it is arrogant.

I think you read a little too much into my post. Comparing this game to any other game for one, is your first mistake. The entire appeal of this game is the difficulty. Difficulty that resides in surviving. My entire post was not to say that those of us who played this game earlier are superior, i'm simply saying there was a certain magic to that method of learning.

Any arrogance you read is something you perceived on your own. All your strawmans non-withstanding, I respect your opinion. But I strongly believe that this is the type of game where people should be helping eachother ingame, and making some sort of resource to hold their hand through the whole game only detracts from the overall experience that you're supposed to get.

Well I can't argue with opinions, but I will say that the sales figures for CS actually looked rather grim in the early days of the century.

The game was slowly eroding, much to the dismay of the developers.

Steam and associated (some silently so) services have pulled CS back out of the pit and actually made it into a formidable e-sport, instead of a "mere" LAN-Party game.

If you do a little research, you'll find most long going games have had ups and downs, most of which were community-based. (Though a few unpopular patches make their appearances in this context).

On the topic of erosion through evolution, I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. Though if I have indeed misinterpreted what I perceived as "arrogance", I apologize.

Dammit, server ran out of traffic too fast for me to move some stuff. Will try to get it up as soon as possible

Darn. It's still offline. Does anyone got the Install guide (picture)? If yes could you UL it somewhere?

Thanks a lot :)

Sorry for the long-wait, had to transfer the domain to a new host. Everything should be fine now!