Sign in to follow this  
Tinynaught

Is there any reason to not use the hatchet?

I mean, seriously. Just the sheer usefulness of a silenced, one hit zombie killing weapon is just too good to pass up sometimes. I always keep a sidearm for players, but other than that...I don't know. Any counter argument here?

It's good, unless you prefer to have more than 200 blood by the time you manage to get a successful hit with it...

• Like 1

well.... its better than starting with nothing ?

thats all i got

It's not always that useful for getting wood :D

It's good, unless you prefer to have more than 200 blood by the time you manage to get a successful hit with it...

1) Lead zombies indoors.

2) Drop primary and bust out hatchet.

3) Keep swinging as the zombies walk towards you.

4) ?????

5) Profit.

Killed 150 zombies yesterday without firing a shot and didn't lose much blood at all, lol.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

Zombies are just as effectively defeated hiding in a bush for a minute. On a normal 15 day character, i may kill something about 40 zombies in total, and that is with raiding NWAF, Cherno, Elektro etc. so i tend to only carry hatchets for wood, and having a crowbar in my weapon slot along with a primary. I find that is much more streamlines.

Edited by V2_Danny

I like the Axe if you move correctly a zombie will always have to walk into your swing with out getting a chance to attack you. You get to explore more with the axe and have to spen less time dealing with zomibes. The other day I was walking around with 15 reloads for the enfield, I tried clearing a small town from the tree line, I burned through 30 rounds of ammo to kill about 22 zombies, I walk into town and I am able to look in 2 or 3 buildings at most before they start spawning again so I have to leave and thats with not looting any bodies. In another town I figure I will sneak in an start shooting that way I wont lose time coming in from the tree line, 90 rounds later and about 70 dead zombies I can look around, a can of pasta for the effort and the zombies are respawning in town before I can get through 3 of the buildings. The good news is I cleared up alot of space in inventory without loosing any health, it probably would have been more productive to hunt rabbits with the rifle.

The main lesson I have taken away from the game so far has been, the less you try to fight the zombies the better you do.

Just my 2 cents

Griffith(Z+14)

Zombies are just as effectively defeated hiding in a bush for a minute. On a normal 15 day character, i may kill something about 40 zombies in total, and that is with raiding NWAF, Cherno, Elektro etc. so i tend to only carry hatchets for wood, and having a crowbar in my weapon slot along with a primary. I find that is much more streamlines.

Couldent agree more, you don't need a gun or hatchet for zombies just sit at a tree and wait or run down a hill and watch them leap to their deaths, zombies atm are a joke and quite frankly a doorway or tree trunk is more dangerous.

Add to that the fact that they are the only hatchets in existance that I know of that you need to reload.

If it was not for needing wood for fires the hatchet would be as useful as the crowbar.

Hatchets are awesome. To make a player Soup with it all you need is

A: a Player (preferably a Survivor or Hero They taste the best, But any Will do)

B: A hatchet

Step One: Find a player in its Natural Habitat (we will cover the locations of the habitats of Hero's bandits and survivor's in a later episode)

Step two: Chop His Ass up with a Hatchet a few times

And There you have it.Player Stew

In our next episode we will Show you the Recipe for Crowbar- Battered Hero. And Tin-Canned Bandit

Edited by Star Thornberry
  • Like 1

You need to "aim" with the hatchet. I mastered that and I can take down a zombie horde without losing any blood. I once teamed up with a stranger and when I went outside to kill a few zombies, he said "wtf how didn't you get hit" or something like that.

Edited by Sutinen

The zombie bush bug pretty much killed the game for me, I've given it up completely and it's made the mod enjoyable for me again, lol.

You need to "aim" with the hatchet. I mastered that and I can take down a zombie horde without losing any blood. I once teamed up with a stranger and when I went outside to kill a few zombies, he said "wtf how didn't you get hit" or something like that.

Yup, hatcheting in DayZ is an art form. I've got to the point where i'm profficient with a hatchet in 3rd person without crosshairs now. xD

• Like 1

i am a huge fan of hatchet for zombies, but when it comes to player you better believe i am going to whip out a gun of some sort. i have not been in a situation with a player where it was like i need my gun NOW so i have been able to get cover put hatchet on tool belt and get my gun outta the bag every time i have needed to with no big problems

1) Lead zombies indoors.

2) Drop primary and bust out hatchet.

3) Keep swinging as the zombies walk towards you.

4) ?????

5) Profit.

Killed 150 zombies yesterday without firing a shot and didn't lose much blood at all, lol.

1) Walk backwards anywhere

2) Swing hatchet

3) Keep swinging as the zombies run towards you.

4) ?????

5) Profit.

Alternatively, you can usually run up behind zombies and if you time your swing right you'll drop him before he aggros.

With the new patch, the crowbar might be better. Still haven't really tested it more than once before the crowbar vanished form my inventory but you can quick select the crowbar like a grenade by pressing F. This will let you kill zombies silently without having to unequip your primary. Just remember to aim for the head.

• Like 1

Oh, nice. Didn't know that. I took a break before 1.7.6 and have only been back on in the past couple of days. I'll have to get myself a crowbar then! Has the damage been buffed or is it still a bit 'meh' compared to the hatchet?

I mean, seriously. Just the sheer usefulness of a silenced, one hit zombie killing weapon is just too good to pass up sometimes. I always keep a sidearm for players, but other than that...I don't know. Any counter argument here?

No counter arguement, I agree. I rock the axe and a 1911 mostly, can't aim a gun for nothin'. Most of the time the bullets don't go where the cross hairs are anyway.

I enjoy the crossbow but its hard to find arrows for and lately you can't retrieve the arows when you shoot something with it.

All these people complaining about the hatchet being hard to use, when I, a new player, can hit zombies with one, solid swing.

Personally I think the hatchet is absolutely fantastic. You can raid so much faster, quieter and also more efficient. Sure you run the risk of being shot, but lets face it if someone gets the first shot off on you he is most likely going to win unless he is the worst DayZ player alive. You just have to learn the timing for it and aiming, once you master that you are unstoppable! But I still have not tried the crowbar and primary thing yet! I am going to give it a try right now :)