LaurenDanger

Three bullets in the chest, the tale of today.

I really enjoyed the story. Great work. I too play the mod in a similar fashion. Meeting other survivors is where the true beauty is in this game. I don't play the game for the loot. Sure I need a backpack, some med supplies, and a weapon. But after that anything is just an upgrade. When I play with others that I do not know I am usually fine with them taking any and all loot that they want and I will take what is left. It's amazing what you get in return...heli rides, vehicles, weapons, and perhaps even one more person who has better feeling towards others.

I have actually had people recognize my voice in direct from players I had played with who were currently with their squad. It has gotten me out of a couple tricky situations.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I'm going to have to rain on this little happy parade...

I get that you were trying to be nice and all - but when you tried to be friendly in chat and got three bullets as a reply, then that means you are now in a life or death situation and should have met fire with fire. This is DayZ, not a camping simulator. Kill or be killed is the rule of the game.

You should only trust your friends and be extremely wary of anyone you meet, even if you get a friendly response. Most alliances will be temporary.

And lastly - combat logging is bad, m'kay? I have zero respect for anyone that does even when it means they escape certain death. You should have taken them on and tried to escape at least - a hell for leather last-ditch run for safety would have made a much better story than "I went looking for someone to hold my hand while I play, but the bad boo-boo shot at me and I quit the game".

Just sayin......

I didn't combat log, combat was well done and over. Had they engaged me in conversation and distracted me with it while they regrouped, fine. But after minutes of trying to get some response and not having anything happen, I decided on a different outcome than being killed or having to kill anyone. All done within the limits of the combat timer and the way the game is set up.

And hand holding is fun, it's nice, but maybe I don't want to hold hands with you. Not unless you wash the blood away first. Eww.

;)

Oh and there is no rule to the game that says kill or be killed. That applies to shooters, but this is a zombie survival game, who says there has to be killing? Most of the time I don't even need to shoot the zombies! You play your way, I play mine. If you kill me then fine, but nothing says I have to kill you. Not unless I missed the debut of the BottleRocket official DayZ rule book. Which is possible.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the story. Great work. I too play the mod in a similar fashion. Meeting other survivors is where the true beauty is in this game. I don't play the game for the loot. Sure I need a backpack, some med supplies, and a weapon. But after that anything is just an upgrade. When I play with others that I do not know I am usually fine with them taking any and all loot that they want and I will take what is left. It's amazing what you get in return...heli rides, vehicles, weapons, and perhaps even one more person who has better feeling towards others.

I have actually had people recognize my voice in direct from players I had played with who were currently with their squad. It has gotten me out of a couple tricky situations.

The we go, making friends, getting people to know you by voice, that's excellent. We're all just graphics without a voice, without personality, so I would say you are going about it the right way!

Sorry, but I'm going to have to rain on this little happy parade...

I get that you were trying to be nice and all - but when you tried to be friendly in chat and got three bullets as a reply, then that means you are now in a life or death situation and should have met fire with fire. This is DayZ, not a camping simulator. Kill or be killed is the rule of the game.

DayZ is definately not a kill or be killed game. It is a likely outcome out of many situations, but you can always flee the scene of crime at any time if you want to. You never have to return fire, but it is often the wise thing to do if you cannot get in contact with them through voice. But then again, you can also use the weapon to lay down supressive fire while you back out.

There are many ways to play the game, killing and destroying is but one style. I prefer to actually build and support it.

Hard to say what I would have done in that situation. I doubt they were there to specifically bandit you, however. If they were, they did so...poorly. Never start with the Makarov-that's just suicide. The only way to do it that way is to the back of someone's head that has no idea. The story smacks of startled to me. May I suggest VA's FactionZ? You play in a faction working with a team and we run events. New map every month. Just throwing it out there.

Hard to say what I would have done in that situation. I doubt they were there to specifically bandit you, however. If they were, they did so...poorly. Never start with the Makarov-that's just suicide. The only way to do it that way is to the back of someone's head that has no idea. The story smacks of startled to me. May I suggest VA's FactionZ? You play in a faction working with a team and we run events. New map every month. Just throwing it out there.

Do new maps mean character resets? I suppose it would. It's fine if the change is known, but I have had servers where I finally manage to get some decent mid tier gear and fix a vehicle, only to have the map change the next day. Three times this has happened so far. Not a complaint, just a nice to know before getting into a situation. That's all. I like different maps, keeps things fresh. But I also like finally fixing that vehicle and getting ready to help people. Or be blown up by them. Boring storing involving an attempt to start a Taviana bus service but with explosive ending and a long run as the epilogue.

I bandaged up. I wasn't hurt all that bad and had only lost a small amount of blood. Combat had cooled down but the moment remained tense. I was still there, in the fire hall, waiting for a reply to my question about why they shot, and if they would even answer me.

There was no response. Frustrated, I did something that I don't really do in DayZ when players are around and there's been some shots fired or even a confused standoff.

I hit escape, I aborted, and I logged off the server.

Sorry - but that's combat logging right there. Just because the timer had run out doesn't make it ok. There's a reason the timer was put into the game, and it's to stop people getting out of nasty situations by logging off.

Now, I don't have a rulebook or anything and how you play is up to you - DayZ is your story. Personally, I lone wolf it, avoid trouble and have been known to help the occasional survivor (I made a post about my experiments a while back, if you're interested).

By the looks of it, we have a similar playstyle and we'd probably get along if we ever met up.

But there's a couple of crucial differences twixt you and me: I wouldn't have logged until I'd escaped or died in the attempt. Personally, I think you should try adopting a similar mindset for a while - it makes for a much more immersive experience when you don't use game mechanics to, well, cheat the system. Don't get attached to your stuff, we all die in the end.

When I said kill or be killed, however, I was probably being a bit outspoken - fight or flee would have been a much better term.

The other difference is that when people shoot at me in-game I don't stand around asking questions about why they did. ;)

I really liked this story, and it shows how the imprudence of people nowadays really makes for meeting new friends rare. You carry a dim bright light of hope to many of other players although I can't say I am the same, I wish you all of the luck. :) Also, I always play this server called Tactical Retreat. So, if you stop by look for Corogast :3 I will go pick you up and get you started right away :P Although my partner in crime is sorta a mini-bandit if that makes any sense [:

I like almost everything you had to say. Not just because your a female that plays DayZ, but partly. I'm not trying to be to sexist, but at times we all are. In this day and age, part of the reason for the KOS mentality is due to the way "us" guys handle the situation. Now, with that said, I am positive I'm going to get some hell bent female players telling me they are just as "rawr" as the next guy, but that isn't the case as a whole. I really hope this does not get a misinterpretation, because what I am trying to point out is the friendly perspective to this game. Yeah I laughed when you said, "holding hands is fun" not so much the male way to explain it, but that is one of the reasons I don't play as much as I used to. Hell that's one of the reasons I don't play many MMO's. Seems as though this generation is taking the "online friend" category and re writing it to be of less worth than their RL friends. Maybe it would be nice to see people start treating their online newly found contacts, with a bit more value, instead of treating them as disposable. What this is creating is the concept of "disposable single use friends" and I really can not adapt to this, maybe due to age, maybe due to who I am.

Bottom line is, this was a good story. I would say your on track with the way people are evolving within the gaming community's. But this is just mho, take it for what its worth. Don't stop playing as a friendly, we have few enough as it is. Hope to run into you on the zombie killing floor.

Dren

Edited by Arkael Dren

I also tend to play with the mindset of survival and assistance in mind. I think the primary difference between us though is that I am extremely hesitant to reach out to other survivors unless I have an advantage. Admittedly this is because lately I don't have anyone else to run with, so I have been super cautious as I lone wolf through Chernarus. I tend to be extremely stealthy and patient where I play though. Additionally, the server I play on has adjusted loot and much higher zombie damage, so generally firefights tend to attract more trouble than the loot or wasted ammo is worth.

One day I was looting in Chernogorsk and heard shots nearby. Pistol fire and I could hear the zombies, so I hid and got a good vantage point. I waited a few minutes and eventually a survivor came around the corner. I spoke and told him to stand still and to not run and that I was not going to shoot but he had to be careful to not spook me. I asked him what he was up to and if he was alone. He said he had a friend over near the firehouse (we were near the apartments) and that he would be coming to meet him shortly. I told him to come down the street and hug the wall and to not startle the zombies.

Now at this point, his friend comes running up the street and stands next to his friend. The first one tells the newcomer to look for me. I reveal myself and of course the newcomer takes a shot at me with his Winchester. I was going to teach them a lesson in trust.

I had the upper hand, as I had range on them and was looking down on them from cover, and had an ACOG. I immediately put a round in the chest of the newcomer and he drops. I ask his friend if he is dead and he says no, just unconscious. That is when I told him to bandage his friend and that I would be right there. I told him to sit down and face a certain direction, and I began my approach. When I got closer I made sure to tell him to keep sitting, and I gave his sleeping friend a transfusion.

I asked what the two of them needed and what they were doing there and got the expected response of looking for supplies. I told them that there were some weapons and a backpack in a tent not far from there, and I gave them coordinates, and told them there was a map in the nearby 2 story apartment. I offered to join them and cover them and they accepted.

I was extremely paranoid of them for the remainder of my time with them, and eventually we got to the tents without incident. As we approached the road after though we started taking fire from nearby.

One of them, the one I shot insists I led them into a trap, but his friend reassures him that I could have easily killed them at any time. I tell them to run north along the treeline. I need to know where the shots are coming from. They listen.

The bandit is using a CZ550 but is a terrible shot. After a few moments I zero in on his shots and pull out my M24. One shot is all it takes. I tell my two allies where the body is and tell them they are welcome to it. I cover them until I am sure they've found it. I don't wait around to see if the 550 still has ammo. I am gone before they fully strip the body.

I love playing as friendly but wary. I would love it more if I had others to join up with.

If any of you survivors want someone else there to watch your back please pm me or add me on Steam (Same as forum name).

OP, I applaud your faith in others. Don't give up. The good outweighs the bad.

• Like 2

I also tend to play with the mindset of survival and assistance in mind. I think the primary difference between us though is that I am extremely hesitant to reach out to other survivors unless I have an advantage. Admittedly this is because lately I don't have anyone else to run with, so I have been super cautious as I lone wolf through Chernarus. I tend to be extremely stealthy and patient where I play though. Additionally, the server I play on has adjusted loot and much higher zombie damage, so generally firefights tend to attract more trouble than the loot or wasted ammo is worth.

One day I was looting in Chernogorsk and heard shots nearby. Pistol fire and I could hear the zombies, so I hid and got a good vantage point. I waited a few minutes and eventually a survivor came around the corner. I spoke and told him to stand still and to not run and that I was not going to shoot but he had to be careful to not spook me. I asked him what he was up to and if he was alone. He said he had a friend over near the firehouse (we were near the apartments) and that he would be coming to meet him shortly. I told him to come down the street and hug the wall and to not startle the zombies.

Now at this point, his friend comes running up the street and stands next to his friend. The first one tells the newcomer to look for me. I reveal myself and of course the newcomer takes a shot at me with his Winchester. I was going to teach them a lesson in trust.

I had the upper hand, as I had range on them and was looking down on them from cover, and had an ACOG. I immediately put a round in the chest of the newcomer and he drops. I ask his friend if he is dead and he says no, just unconscious. That is when I told him to bandage his friend and that I would be right there. I told him to sit down and face a certain direction, and I began my approach. When I got closer I made sure to tell him to keep sitting, and I gave his sleeping friend a transfusion.

I asked what the two of them needed and what they were doing there and got the expected response of looking for supplies. I told them that there were some weapons and a backpack in a tent not far from there, and I gave them coordinates, and told them there was a map in the nearby 2 story apartment. I offered to join them and cover them and they accepted.

I was extremely paranoid of them for the remainder of my time with them, and eventually we got to the tents without incident. As we approached the road after though we started taking fire from nearby.

One of them, the one I shot insists I led them into a trap, but his friend reassures him that I could have easily killed them at any time. I tell them to run north along the treeline. I need to know where the shots are coming from. They listen.

The bandit is using a CZ550 but is a terrible shot. After a few moments I zero in on his shots and pull out my M24. One shot is all it takes. I tell my two allies where the body is and tell them they are welcome to it. I cover them until I am sure they've found it. I don't wait around to see if the 550 still has ammo. I am gone before they fully strip the body.

I love playing as friendly but wary. I would love it more if I had others to join up with.

If any of you survivors want someone else there to watch your back please pm me or add me on Steam (Same as forum name).

OP, I applaud your faith in others. Don't give up. The good outweighs the bad.

I like your short story :3 I am going to add you :D Although I only play on the one server I mentioned up above ;)

Do new maps mean character resets? I suppose it would. It's fine if the change is known, but I have had servers where I finally manage to get some decent mid tier gear and fix a vehicle, only to have the map change the next day. Three times this has happened so far. Not a complaint, just a nice to know before getting into a situation. That's all. I like different maps, keeps things fresh. But I also like finally fixing that vehicle and getting ready to help people. Or be blown up by them. Boring storing involving an attempt to start a Taviana bus service but with explosive ending and a long run as the epilogue.

Private server, so every cycle, you are a new char. Cycle lasts one month, with cycles events on Saturday and an end of cycle big even for final scoring.

Private server, so every cycle, you are a new char. Cycle lasts one month, with cycles events on Saturday and an end of cycle big even for final scoring.

That sounds fun. How is the population?

I think we currently have around 80+ registered for this cycle.

Pop in the evenings will be anywhere from 15 to 40 (the latter usually on the cycle events).

Early mornings can be 0 but usually at least 3.