Sign in to follow this  
burlaka

Low FPS, Bad Performance issues.

Hey guys, So I just bought the ARMA 2: Combined Operations on Steam to play DayZ, but the low fps is unbearable.

Weird thing is, My FPS is almost the same when i play on High settings and Low settings. They both end up around 10-15 FPS.

My Specs:

• Macbook Pro Late 2011 17'
  • Quadcore 2.4ghz i7 (i7-2760QM)
  • 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6770M
  • 16GB RAM

Im running windows 7 ultimate through bootcamp.

I can play most games on good fps.

Any advice or information will help.

I blame your i7 processor.

Most of the people I see complaining about performance issues and/or low FPS have an i7.

Maybe the engine causes it to bottleneck, maybe the engine is just too old, I don't know.

You think so? I was starting to think my laptop just couldnt handle it, or there was a software error.

Have you tried 'normal' settings? Changing everything to 'low' puts the load on your CPU which in your case, probably isn't a good thing.

Also, have you tried disabling anti-aliasing and post-process effects?

Yeah if tried normal settings too, spent hours trying every combination of settings xD.

yes I disabled both of those. Still pretty bad fps. nothing higher than 17-18

Yeah if tried normal settings too, spent hours trying every combination of settings xD.

yes I disabled both of those. Still pretty bad fps. nothing higher than 17-18

If its any comfort I'm having similar framerates on an I3570k thats clocked at 4.5ghz along with a radeon 7950 thats clocked at 1ghz. However later today I'll start my second evening of tweaking hopefully I can pass on something insightful. There is a good thread on the BI forums with suggestions by the way, some of them fairly advanced. I'll be trying those later.

Oh yes I have read quite a bit of threads, i just figured it wouldnt hurt to put my specs up somewhere and see if theres anyone with similar setup and issue.

But I have noticed when I look in the sky, I get 40-50 frames, then when I look down I get 10-15.

Im guessing somethings wrong with processing all the plants and trees?

Your frame rate will shoot up if you look at the sky in literally any game ever, lol.

This topic has just made me rethink my planned purchase of a 4+ ghz i7 rig... I'm using an old Toshiba Satellite with Radeon 4650, and I am getting 10-15 FPS in Cherno, and 30-40 in countryside. Would be a major disappointment to discover that a costly purchase makes almost no difference though.

I have spent WEEKS trying to figure out why I get low fps in DayZ. Crysis, Crysis 2 work fine on medium settings... One thing I can hint:

Zombie AI is a major FPS killer. I loaded a Bliss server AND DayZ simultaneously on my Satellite, but dropped the DayZ zombie count to 10 max local. It still allowed me to get a lot of tension from zombie aggro, while keeping steady 30 FPS in Cherno all the time...

Maybe zombie AI is not optimised, maybe Zombie pathfinding in tight areas consume such a lot of processing power, that it kills the experience.

Regardless, it got better when I launched DayZ with dual core support and maxthreads modified. There are lists of launch attributes you can find online, that allow Arma2 to use multicore architecture better.

Just lose thoughts.

I blame your i7 processor.

Most of the people I see complaining about performance issues and/or low FPS have an i7.

Maybe the engine causes it to bottleneck, maybe the engine is just too old, I don't know.

I'm running an AMD processor and I get horribly fps just like this guy does, switching to high graphics or low makes no difference.

This topic has just made me rethink my planned purchase of a 4+ ghz i7 rig... I'm using an old Toshiba Satellite with Radeon 4650, and I am getting 10-15 FPS in Cherno, and 30-40 in countryside. Would be a major disappointment to discover that a costly purchase makes almost no difference though.

I have spent WEEKS trying to figure out why I get low fps in DayZ. Crysis, Crysis 2 work fine on medium settings... One thing I can hint:

Zombie AI is a major FPS killer. I loaded a Bliss server AND DayZ simultaneously on my Satellite, but dropped the DayZ zombie count to 10 max local. It still allowed me to get a lot of tension from zombie aggro, while keeping steady 30 FPS in Cherno all the time...

Maybe zombie AI is not optimised, maybe Zombie pathfinding in tight areas consume such a lot of processing power, that it kills the experience.

Regardless, it got better when I launched DayZ with dual core support and maxthreads modified. There are lists of launch attributes you can find online, that allow Arma2 to use multicore architecture better.

Just lose thoughts.

I wouldn't rethink a purchase because of just this game. It seems it runs horrible for a lot of people with decent rigs but I also wouldn't buy any hardware specifically for it either due to all the problems. Arma 2 OA runs great for me maxed out with great fps. Yet in Dayz sluggish as hell.

I'm running an AMD processor and I get horribly fps just like this guy does, switching to high graphics or low makes no difference.

I'm not saying that i7 is the only processor that has this issue. There are several set-ups and components that could cause the issue as well as how the files are installed on the computer. Same with out-dated drivers.

But a rough 70-75% of people I see complaining about FPS problems are reporting an i7 processor.

This amount of similarity drives me to let others in the same situation to know about it, even if it later on turned out NOT to be the issue.

I'm not saying that i7 is the only processor that has this issue. There are several set-ups and components that could cause the issue as well as how the files are installed on the computer. Same with out-dated drivers.

But a rough 70-75% of people I see complaining about FPS problems are reporting an i7 processor.

This amount of similarity drives me to let others in the same situation to know about it, even if it later on turned out NOT to be the issue.

I doubt that has anything to do with it but you never know. I've seen people with i5s i7s and amd chips having problems. The fact that so many people are having problems and say that it runs fine on other games, to me shows this is a problem with the game. I'm running a black edition processor overclocked to 4ghz and I get 20 fps in cherno done all the work arounds etc. Even loaded up arma 2 and OA and they ran beautifully was even able to turn the graphics way up with a solid 50 fps.

Just don't buy yourself into radeon or amd, my bro is running a i7 processor and Geforce 680 GTX he's hitting 35-50 fps in cherno. It's way better than mine which suffers at a pale 10-20 fps

I doubt that has anything to do with it but you never know. I've seen people with i5s i7s and amd chips having problems.

I'm running a black edition processor overclocked to 4ghz and I get 20 fps in cherno done all the work arounds etc. Even loaded up arma 2 and OA and they ran beautifully was even able to turn the graphics way up with a solid 50 fps.

Just don't buy yourself into radeon or amd, my bro is running a i7 processor and Geforce 680 GTX he's hitting 35-50 fps in cherno. It's way better than mine which suffers at a pale 10-20 fps

i5-3570k, GTX 670, 8GBs of RAM.

I get a stable 50 FPS while everything is maxed out. Drops to around 38-43 in cities.

And Mel; I have also noticed that people are running A2 and A2:OA just fine even though DayZ lags them to hell. So yeah, I agree.

I tend to think that it's the amount of zombies, items within buildings, and zombie spawn points. Most things are being handled client-side because of the ARMA 2 engine, so the amount of things your CPU has to calculate skyrockets around cities, as you have to check for timers and radius's for item and zombie spawns. (Not just those two things, but I'm no developer. I don't fully understand what the engine does, but I like to think I have pretty good theories.) Also it seems like the game is rendering objects and models behind and inside buildings, even if you can't see them. That could understandably hit the graphics card somewhat.

• Like 1

I get a stable 50 FPS while everything is maxed out. Drops to around 38-43 in cities.

And Mel; I have also noticed that people are running A2 and A2:OA just fine even though DayZ lags them to hell. So yeah, I agree.

I tend to think that it's the amount of zombies, items within buildings, and zombie spawn points. Most things are being handled client-side because of the ARMA 2 engine, so the amount of things your CPU has to calculate skyrockets around cities, as you have to check for timers and radius's for item and zombie spawns. (Not just those two things, but I'm no developer. I don't fully understand what the engine does, but I like to think I have pretty good theories.) Also it seems like the game is rendering objects and models behind and inside buildings, even if you can't see them. That could understandably hit the graphics card somewhat.

Actually, I remember reading something about it being due to the way the zombie AI worked in arma2 can't recall where I read that at though. But what your saying is what I was thinking too all the stuff being spawned in + zombies vehicles etc.

I just bought this Macbook last year, The gpu isnt bad at all. Way better than all the Nvidia laptops I had before, low power consumption, laptops always cool, fans rarely on.

I just find it so strange that I can play almost every game out there except this one.

Edit: I figured out how to get my frames up to 40-60. All I did was change My 3D resolution to about 50%, it makes the quality look kinda bad, but its very smooth.

Edited by Burlaka

I've just upgraded my pc to those same specs, and I'm still going down to 20 or less fps in cities. Have you over clocked your i5?

I'm not saying that i7 is the only processor that has this issue.

You're an idiot. The OP clearly states he has a i7 mobile chip. That bears no resemblance, or connection to the i7 desktop lineup...ZERO. Also please enlighten us all as to what single chip runs the game better than an i7 desktop chip? Please, just one. Where do you people get your info? i7 smokes any other commercially available chip easily, and in virtually every app, game, or benchmark known to man. Get your shit right, man.

Anyway for the OP, the game just runs like shit. I think it's the Dayz code, because arma 2 runs fairly well, although even it isn't exactly smooth as glass. I've played the game extensively on two decent systems, an i5 with x2 6870, and an i7 with a GTX 680, and it just doesn't matter what you throw at the game hardware-wise, you will drop to shit frames in some places. Some Youtubers are running i7, with gtx 690, and still reporting 28-35 FPS in Cherno, and Elektro! So get used to it, basically. It still a good game, just turn shit down, the game looks good enough anyway. I would say drop down to 1600x900 resolution, that should give you a bigger jump than any other setting, and obviously have ATOC,antialias(use the FXAA),motion blur, and vsync OFF. I mix up my settings with my i7,gtx680 set up, but lean towards the high end at 1080p, and the FPS is so varied. Like I'll be in the 70 average range, but Cherno can still bring me down to the mid 30s. Some would say that's a playable framerate, but believe me I didn't buy a GTX 680 to run a two year old game at 35 FPS, it's ridiculous really. You just live with it, because it is a neat little mod. Enjoy the game, man.

Edited by ToddTaylor

You're an idiot. The OP clearly states he has a i7 mobile chip. That bears no resemblance, or connection to the i7 desktop lineup...ZERO. Also please enlighten us all as to what single chip runs the game better than an i7 desktop chip? Please, just one. Where do you people get your info? i7 smokes any other commercially available chip easily, and in virtually every app, game, or benchmark known to man. Get your shit right, man.

I've never stated anywhere that I'm some hardware expert. No, I can't honestly say I know much of a difference between 'mobile' chips and the ones for desktop computers. This does not make me an idiot, however. I've simply never needed the information so far. My life has been pretty smooth in terms of computers without me knowing the difference.

I've never said that i7 processors are generally bad, either. Actually that's the opposite of what I think. But in the case of ARMA 2 and DayZ, I've noticed that the majority of people who have performance issues(FPS, momentary freezing) are using an i7 processor. So I point it out as a possible issue due to the vast similarity.

I have an i5-3570k. I have no problems running the game at max settings with about 50 FPS. So I find it very weird that those people with an i7 -- especially in a CPU-heavy game like ARMA 2 -- have lower performance than I do. This is why it catches my eye, and the reason why I point it out.

Again, just so you don't come around repeating yourself and throwing out insults at people you don't know the backstory on, and assume as of lower intelligence than yourself because of a single thing they don't understand; I'm a software-person. Not a hardware one. By calling me an idiot you've only given me the pleasure to shrug you off like dirt my shoulder and behave above the level of maturity you've set on yourself.

Edit;

I've just upgraded my pc to those same specs, and I'm still going down to 20 or less fps in cities. Have you over clocked your i5?

No I have not. Everything is as they come out-of-the-box.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

A ) Try to update your drivers.

B ) Bad decision to play games on a laptop.

Edited by Skoll

By calling me an idiot you've only given me the pleasure to shrug you off like dirt my shoulder and behave above the level of maturity you've set on yourself.

Three paragraphs is a total "shrug off"? Cool story bro. Oh, and you say "well I don't know hardware", but yet you comment on it? Yes, I know I often find myself giving advice on things I know nothing about, and then following it up with " but I don't know anything about this", wtf?. Finally. since you are an obvious moron, let me just point out to you that your i5 DESKTOP chip smokes any NOTEBOOK chip currently on the market, or any chip that will probably be on the NOTEBOOK market for the near foreseeable future.

Edited by ToddTaylor

Finally. since you are an obvious moron, let me just point out to you that your i5 DESKTOP chip smokes any NOTEBOOK chip currently on the market, or any chip that will probably be on the NOTEBOOK market for the near foreseeable future.

I am aware.

But, as much of a moron as I may be, at least I seem to be able to predict what other people are going to do.

Again, just so you don't come around repeating yourself and throwing out insults at people [...]

I think this discussion is done. If you disagree, PM me about it and we can argue each others' intelligence some more.

My Specs:

• Macbook Pro Late 2011 17'

Well theres your first problem. Luckily, I have an easy fix. All you need is a hammer, and what you want to do, is break the mac in half. You should be right then. :)

Edited by dulix11
  • Like 1