Sign in to follow this  
CF Mallard

Disconnect/ Combat Log Penalty

Combat Logging  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a combat logging penalty implemented?

2. 2. What should the penalty be?

• Timer to reconnect to disconnected server.
    • Timer to reconnect to any servers after disconnect.
    • Wait until server reset to reconnect.
    • Inventory Wipe.
    • Humanity Wipe.
    • Improper disconnect leaves player in vulnerable static location for timer.

There has been alot of talk about people combat logging to save their gear and with the standalone approaching it gives the Devs a chance to rein in some of this and bring the combat and finality of engagements to realization. This is an exert from one of my post in a thread from a guy whining about being player killed alot and the discussion that followed about combat logging.

"I think DayZ standalone should implement Epics disconnect penalty, in Gears of War 2 and 3 if you disconnected before the match was other you could not reconnect to any match until the match you had disconnected from had finished obviously this would not work with DayZ because of persistent servers but a predetermined time penalty (30-45mins or until server reset *My personal favorite*) for disconnecting would deny you return access to any server unit the timer expired.This penalty would not exist if a predetermined list of rules was met, I.e No players in combat for 300m from player, no zombie presence for 25m and player not in combat, player not injured (actively bleeding or unconscious)"

Obviously this isn't a bulletproof solution to the problem and it has many holes critazism and suggestions welcome and ill build an outline and criteria board and then see what everyone thinks. (I know this wont be implemented just throwing the ol' thinking ball around lol)

Edited by CF Mallard

neither of those. how about when you are in combat or no matter what when you log out your character stands still or lies down for maybe a minute. what ever hits him and what not saves. so if you shoot at somebody and they literally alt + tab and close the game that way, their character is still there for a minute.

• Like 5

neither of those. how about when you are in combat or no matter what when you log out your character stands still or lies down for maybe a minute. what ever hits him and what not saves. so if you shoot at somebody and they literally alt + tab and close the game that way, their character is still there for a minute.

Never thought of this I do like it, if requirements are met logging out properly means immediate safe removal of player from server, if not player is left vulnerable in whatever location and position log was activated in for preset amount of time.

Never thought of this I do like it, if requirements are met logging out properly means immediate safe removal of player from server, if not player is left vulnerable in whatever location and position log was activated in for preset amount of time.

ehhh, being near a campfire and/or tent. i could see that working out.

ehhh, being near a campfire and/or tent. i could see that working out.

Kind of like a safe room of Left for Dead or the save camps of Red Dead Redemption.

Food for thought.

Yea to all those humanity freaks out there claiming to be Holier Than Thou, and yet a large majority of them combat log.

They should be left idle on the server for at least 1 min before there disconnected just like most other games where people would combat log.

I did tick the option for a lose in humanity, but after some thought about the idea it may not be so good in the long run with people losing connection to the server and losing humanity because they have a crappy isp or some similar issues that caused them to disco.

People should only be able to log out when there safe other wise they stay idle on the server something should be done about it.

Edited by skesoul
  • Like 1

The server that I play on detects when your combat timer is one (Gun symbol above thermometer) and when you log back in after combat logging you automatically die.

Yea to all those humanity freaks out there claiming to be Holier Than Thou, and yet a large majority of them combat log.

They should be left idle on the server for at least 1 min before there disconnected just like most other games where people would combat log.

I did tick the option for a lose in humanity, but after some thought about the idea it may not be so good in the long run with people losing connection to the server and losing humanity because they have a crappy isp or some similar issues that caused them to disco.

People should only be able to log out when there safe other wise they stay idle on the server something should be done about it.

You know that the methods of disconnecting can be tracked, right?

I think humanity should be removed in the standalone.

Edited by TheSodesa

As long as there is protection for people who's internet goes out, power goes out, or PC crashes.

Agreed, I think manual disconnection and lag out or connection drop would be easy to differ tho.

As long as there is protection for people who's internet goes out, power goes out, or PC crashes.

Agreed, I think manual disconnection and lag out or connection drop would be easy to differ tho.

Quite difficult to differ but the fact remains that one will/can/could/wants to DC in a firefight is more likely to happen than having a system crash or internet connection failure is known to everybody. I could also just pull the plug the simulate an internet failure when i'm taken by surprise by another player so everybody regardless of the reason should be treated the same no matter what the cause is.

Put simply disconnecting the cord or electronically disconnecting your Internet connection would lag your character and may in fact leave him static anyway negating the reasoning behind trying to manually disconnect.

Ie my friend lost connection while we wre driving and over vent he said he had lagged about and his character remained in the drive seat driving in a straight line for almost 30 seconds.

Unless the reliability of connections to the server is significantly upped for the SA, I can't see them implementing anything that's all that harsh. I'd be willing to bet I get dropped by a server close to once a day, regardless of what server I'm playing on. Sometimes it's due to a lag spike, and sometimes it's due to bugs in the game. And it's not just me. If I'm teamed up with other players for anything longer than a couple hours, it's virtually guaranteed that at least one person in the group, if not more, will get dropped or kicked at some point while adventuring. The only penalty I could see them adding in the SA would be that your character persists in the world for X number of seconds if you lose connection while in combat, or possibly a restriction that you can't rejoin a server for five minutes or so. Auto-death or gear wipes would lead to endless streams of rage posts on the forums every time someone got fucked over by a bad server connection or a bug. I also can't see them barring a player from rejoining until after a server reset. There's no way they'd put something in the game that allows the consequence of bugs or lag to be that a player can't play the game for hours, if not days. I think more than likely they'll give combat logging a small amount of attention in the SA, and if it's still a problem, they'll leave it up to private admins to handle once private hives are allowed.

^ I defiantly agree as I get disconnected from servers at least twice a day, just hoping we can find a way to stop the logging as yesterday someone stole our truck we shot the tire out and when he jumped out we shot and broke his legs then... Nothing he was gone and player list revealed he had intact disconnected.

I don't like permanent punishments like inventory wipes because of the server connection problems that plague DayZ. On more than one occasion I have timed out or been kicked by battleye while in combat. If my inventory had been wiped because of that I would be fairly annoyed, to say the least.