maestromaup

insta-kick when using ramdisk

Hi,

I use ramdisk for my DayZ mod because my pc is not the fastest thing in the world.

Only bad thing is that every single time i connect to any server at all while using the ramdisk directory, i get kicked instantly.

i want this to get fixed because i love playing DayZ and my framerate is pretty low atm.

Please help me.

• Like 3

me too i got this problem its so annoying.

it says you were kicked from the game.

if i launch dayz without ramdisk it works fine and i can join any server.

Edited by bradofstoke

Ops I didn't see this Topic. Well guys I have the same problem now, but 2 DayZ ago I was able to play on every server. And I won't play without it anymore. It gave me +20~30 FPS...

have you tried using a directory junction (symlink)to the ramdisk folder then as far as anything is concerned the @dayz folder isnt on another hard drive but in the mod folder on the same drive

have you tried using a directory junction (symlink)to the ramdisk folder then as far as anything is concerned the @dayz folder isnt on another hard drive but in the mod folder on the same drive

If I knew how to do this I probably would...

Symlinks don't work, already tried. You can not make a symlink to a directory on RAM

ahhh dont see why the new update stopped it from working theres no error report just you were kicked from the game

I tried out a symlink yesterday and it worked. But I am not sure if it increased the FPS. Fraps and Dxtory showed 20 FPS but it was smooth. Really weird...

If you run something with symlink wouldn't it then load the data through the original harddrive from the RAMDisk? But the idea of RAMDisk is to avoid the harddrive so you can load it faster. I am not sure but isn't doing it with a symlink the same as having it on the harddrive?

Edited by TrueRealityAD

Symlinks don't work, already tried. You can not make a symlink to a directory on RAM

er yes they can, just not to a FAT 16/32 ram drive it has to be NTFS.. I know, cause I use them no bother..

some usefull info in this thread - http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/126066-ram-disks/

Edited by Calibre

I just tried using Ramdisk and I had the same issue. I found out if I cut the @dayz folder from the ARMA OA folder I can get into servers, although I'm not noticing much of a difference using it

yeah it should work if you direct it to the addons folder rather then the @dayzz ie g:\@dayz\addons instead of g:\@dayz

• Like 1

Those of you that are ONLY putting the @DayZ folder on a RamDisk probably wont notice much (if any) improvement in performance.

The main PBO files that will improve your performance if placed on a Ramdisk are the ones containing the map, buildings, roads, trees, bushes, etc. Its these objects coming into view and having textures streamed at various distances that hit your performance. These are not found in the @DayZ folder but the Arma2 OA folder (location varies between steam and non-steam installs).

If Symlinks are done properly you shouldn't have any issues playing MP with a Ramdisk. A great tool for creating symlinks can be found here: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

A rough guide to setting up a Ramdisk for DayZ can be found here: http://www.22ndsas.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=9205

you have to load into a server then once it kicks you from the server go to the main menu in arma 2 so dont! exit the game, go to expansions and disable one of the 2 DayZ enabeld, that sould fix it.

Or go to your arma 2 OA folder and delete @DayZ