Sign in to follow this  
tuchmaipp

mod: close thread ty

while i can understand that first person is "clunky" to some who started off playing from 3rd person, i still can't agree with allowing third person at all. i've always played in first person view, but today i was enlightened. im scavenging a city and see a guy with a winchester enter a store. i take my trusty makattack and get close, but can't see in the store. then i get an idea, and for the first time ever i go into 3rd person view mode, ALT look over the wall and wait for him to stop at a pile of items - all from the safety and comfort of being behind cover. the part where i calmly walk in and put two shots into his head goes without saying. then i sort of just sat back in my chair and thought of all those deaths that were probably due to this, and all the kills i probably could have scored had i been using TPV. but mostly, i felt like i just cheated. there had been no adrenaline rush or heart pounding worry that i would be staring straight into a barrel when i went in - i knew it was a completely safe kill already. i mean, how is this even debatable? i'm REALLY confused as to why servers have this enabled.

here's a vid of a sniper abusing third person view - skip to around 1:27

just... seriously?

if you dont feel like watching, basically it's a sniper on a tower that has low walls providing cover. the sniper is watching targets approach from complete safety thanks to third person view. If first person view was forced then the sniper would have had to expose himself by going into a crouch to look around for targets, that or have a spotter to call targets and directions which would promote teamwork.

another vid posted by someone in the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...Frs#t=266s

ps. i dont actually expect this to be a productive thread since it seems the majority of the DayZ community is for 3rd person view. You know what other game comes to mind right about now? funk soul brother? all points bulletin.

edit: forgot to add that painkillers are not as detrimental in third person as it is in first person. having trouble aiming because of the shakes? go to third person, no more screen shaking. i hardly think that this is intended in DayZ. even if aim is shaking from pain, its no where near as bad as having to go thru it in first person, especially if crosshairs are enabled. that's two now, cheat view and ignoring pain.

i think there is a good choice of servers with 3rd and plenty with force first person view.

some people feel that third person compensates for not being able to see while prone, when in reality you would be able to see a little more, and others like yourself feel its terrible.

Just find a veteran server and play on that :)

+1 for forcing 1st person. Helps prevent breaking of immersion, keeps everything fair and makes it tougher on the player.

If Bohemia did not want 3rd person view they would not incorporate one in game.

If people did not want to play on 3rd person servers they wouldn't and for the most part those who dislike 3rd person view do so.

3rd person view is in the series since OFP and it's there for a reason - because Bohemia wanted it to be there. It's a feature not a cheat and I for one am glad that I can switch to it when I'm running around to see my character.

"i think there is a good choice of servers with 3rd and plenty with force first person view."

if i recall correctly, only the EU servers and beta servers are using this. it puts me in a bad position of playing with the rules i want, but with lag, or going thru the hassle of getting the beta patch and getting dayz to work with it - id rather have dayz just work without going thru any installation ordeal again.

"It's a feature not a cheat and I for one am glad that I can switch to it when I'm running around to see my character."

i wont argue against aesthetics, i do it too when running long distances. but the option to abuse the third person view is there, and used correctly, it IS a cheat. you could argue, "oh but everyone can use it so it's fair." well, no it's not, because in the scenario where i snuck up on the guy, he was too far inside to be able to alt look to see me where i was in a position to see him. consider this scenario - a small square block with two opponents on either side. the block is small enough that both can alt view to tell where the other opponent is so he can adjust his own position accordingly. does this not sound absolutely retarded to you? they would be circling each other because they *cant* see each other but at the same time they *can*.

I'm not good enough to use first-person, and I never will be. I'm too old and too slow. Third-person is like my crutch, don't kick it away. :P

they would be circling each other because they *cant* see each other but at the same time they *can*.

Flawed logic.

They would be a lot more careful, especially if they have some good items with them just because they know they are both visible to each other. If they are any smart they will back off or try to flank each other with a really wide flank. Besides you can't see over everything in the game - I bet 3rd person view won't be helpful at all when inside a buidling with narrow corridors.

If people did not want to play on 3rd person servers they wouldn't and for the most part those who dislike 3rd person view do so.

3rd person view is in the series since OFP and it's there for a reason - because Bohemia wanted it to be there. It's a feature not a cheat and I for one am glad that I can switch to it when I'm running around to see my character.

Bohemia made Arma 2. This isnt Arma 2 anymore. You cant say that just because Bohemia wanted it in arma, it has to be in DayZ if it isnt balanced. Its like saying Halflife had a crowbar, so Counterstrike should have it, because Valve wanted it to be like that.

Its like saying Halflife had a crowbar, so Counterstrike should have it, because Valve wanted it to be like that.

Bad comparison. Those are two different games, DayZ, however awesome it is, is essentially just a scripted mission with some new objects (no offense rocket) so I don't see how it's not ArmA II or OA. It's like saying that ArmA II is not the same game because you just installed a sound mod which only changes some sounds.

they would be circling each other because they *cant* see each other but at the same time they *can*.

Flawed logic.

They would be a lot more careful' date=' especially if they have some good items with them just because they know they are both visible to each other. If they are any smart they will back off or try to flank each other with a really wide flank. Besides you can't see over everything in the game - I bet 3rd person view won't be helpful at all when inside a buidling with narrow corridors.

[/quote']

i think you're missing the point. HOW the scenario turns out doesnt matter. it's the fact that they can see each other when they shouldn't be able to and how it influences their decisions. in fact, this reminds me of a time when i was young and using wall hack in counterstrike and i squared off against another guy using wall hack. i stayed behind a corner and waited for him, he spotted me and waited at his corner. i start to flank, he moves accordingly. then we both realize were both aware the other is hacking and the only thing that comes to mind at that point is, "wow, keeping up this charade feels pretty fucking stupid." in other words, immersion is out the window.

as to your second point - 3rd person view would be helpful to whoever is camping at the corner of the corridor because he'll have the advantage of the first shot and using lean. in your scenario all the camper has to do is land a quick shot or two to start the bleeding and watch to see what the guy stuck in the corridor will do. using lean, its very possible to make those shots for free. whatever happens, the camper has the option of reacting to whatever his opponent does. but let's be realistic, because unless there's a building that actually is just a long corridor, there's going to be rooms on the side. rooms with windows you can peek into from outside using TPS, or just walking up right next to the doorway and alt viewing inside to see your opponents position.

3rd person view another of those ALADHGALKSDHGALDGH topics.

Just like all the people that say "PvP is part of the game, deal with it" the same goes here too.

I mean, how would you defend against people that change files to increase their FOV, or how to you even account for the fact that the game is only about 60 degrees of FOV and human vision is 100.

I agree that 3rd person can indeed be used as a "cheat" but that being said, play on a server that doesn't have it, if you can't find one, HOST YOUR OWN, otherwise, you're playing on a server that belongs to someone else, they made the choice, not you, complain to them in the server section.

Its like saying Halflife had a crowbar' date=' so Counterstrike should have it, because Valve wanted it to be like that.[/quote']

Bad comparison. Those are two different games, DayZ, however awesome it is, is essentially just a scripted mission with some new objects (no offense rocket) so I don't see how it's not ArmA II or OA. It's like saying that ArmA II is not the same game because you just installed a sound mod which only changes some sounds.

this is starting to become off topic now. what you described is a mod. it's using arma 2, but it's not arma 2. where in arma 2 do you see zombies? this is a mod, and it can be considered a different game. have a look at the mods/maps in other games, like DotA for warcraft 3, or fantasy mods for Mount and Blade.

I suspect 3rd person view was intended to help command squads of AI. Not to hunt other players.

It doesn't belong in the mod just like pan and scan to see peoples names way off in the distance doesn't belong, like alt-F4 doesn't belong. All of them are in the game and I wish they weren't but as long as something can be used as an exploit it will be used as one.

3rd person view another of those ALADHGALKSDHGALDGH topics.

Just like all the people that say "PvP is part of the game' date=' deal with it" the same goes here too.

I mean, how would you defend against people that change files to increase their FOV, or how to you even account for the fact that the game is only about 60 degrees of FOV and human vision is 100.

I agree that 3rd person can indeed be used as a "cheat" but that being said, play on a server that doesn't have it, if you can't find one, HOST YOUR OWN, otherwise, you're playing on a server that belongs to someone else, they made the choice, not you, complain to them in the server section.

[/quote']

i couldn't argue about those who alter their files. i would like, however, to try and sway an open minded admin to change more servers to get rid of TPS - that's an ingame setting (im assuming) that you can change without going into your files and altering them. No one can stop some guy from altering his files, but third person view is something that admins do have control over and it is necessary for an even playing field.

Flawed logic.

They would be a lot more careful' date=' especially if they have some good items with them just because they know they are both visible to each other. If they are any smart they will back off or try to flank each other with a really wide flank. Besides you can't see over everything in the game - I bet 3rd person view won't be helpful at all when inside a buidling with narrow corridors.

[/quote']

i think you're missing the point. HOW the scenario turns out doesnt matter. it's the fact that they can see each other when they shouldn't be able to and how it influences their decisions. in fact, this reminds me of a time when i was young and using wall hack in counterstrike and i squared off against another guy using wall hack. i stayed behind a corner and waited for him, he spotted me and waited at his corner. i start to flank, he moves accordingly. then we both realize were both aware the other is hacking and the only thing that comes to mind at that point is, "wow, keeping up this charade feels pretty fucking stupid." in other words, immersion is out the window.

as to your second point - 3rd person view would be helpful to whoever is camping at the corner of the corridor because he'll have the advantage of the first shot and using lean. in your scenario all the camper has to do is land a quick shot or two to start the bleeding and watch to see what the guy stuck in the corridor will do. using lean, its very possible to make those shots for free. whatever happens, the camper has the option of reacting to whatever his opponent does. but let's be realistic, because unless there's a building that actually is just a long corridor, there's going to be rooms on the side. rooms with windows you can peek into from outside using TPS, or just walking up right next to the doorway and alt viewing inside to see your opponents position.

The outcome does matter. Besides I've been in hundreds of situations involving both players having 3rd person view and I've never got into a situation you're describing - as long as one doesn't shoot the other it's a strictly theoretical situation because if one shoots the other guy is most likely dead anyway due to how ArmA/OFP plays.

Concerning the corridors - I dare you to try and do that when you hear footsteps coming up the stairs in a zombie infested building not knowing whether it's a human or a zombie when you're scared shitless because you might loose your stuff.

this is starting to become off topic now. what you described is a mod. it's using arma 2, but it's not arma 2. where in arma 2 do you see zombies? this is a mod, and it can be considered a different game. have a look at the mods/maps in other games, like DotA for warcraft 3, or fantasy mods for Mount and Blade.

It doesn't matter what mod you're using with ArmA or whatever other game. It's still the same game, just with some new mechanics and models. That's it. ArmA is ArmA, no matter the mod.

EDIT

Also panning and scanning is server providers fault because they don't know how to properly set up difficulty settings in ArmA - you can play with, for instance, 3rd person on but no map markers or pan & scan.

EDIT 2

By "trying to sway an open minded admin to get rid of TPS" you're taking away something from people that they to stay where it is. That's not the way things work. Besides, as it has been said countless times, there are servers with pure veteran setting so go play on them instead of trying to break someone's game experience.

That would be great reasoning if we were playing ArmA 2, but we aren't. We're playing Day Z, which is significantly harder and more competitive than ArmA. Third person can be abused in a way that gives players the ability to see around walls; this really doesn't have a place in a realism-oriented survival game, especially one with heavy PvP elements.

Why do people insist on saying it's not ArmA...

Okay, a different approach - if it's not ArmA but DayZ try to play it without having/launching/whatever ArmA and tell me the results.

Name one other major Arma *mod* that is strictly PVP? If you can actually think of one is TPS used there as well?

Why do people insist on saying it's not ArmA...

Okay' date=' a different approach - if it's not ArmA but DayZ try to play it without having/launching/whatever ArmA and tell me the results.

[/quote']

Day Z is a mod for ArmA. It is a different game with different rules that happens to run using the ArmA 2 engine. It plays completely differently than ArmA. They are not the same game, not at all.

Name one other major Arma *mod* that is strictly PVP? If you can actually think of one is TPS used there as well?

PR:ArmA comes to mind. And it doesn't have 3rd person view because the devs FORCED it to be turned off for whatver reasons without the ability to give the players to choose so - and that is exactly what I DON'T want to see happen to this mod. I don't see your point here though.

But I rest my case anyway. It's like trying to flog a dead horse. Immersion can be acquired even with 3rd person view but some people like to take away other people's view (intentional pun) on things.

Why is everyone arguing about something so simple. Check this shit out.

Solution to all your problems right hurr:

Play on First Person forced servers only.... end of story. Have a good day.

Stop bitching about stupid stuff that can be solved by simply playing on a certain server.

not even close to true

The outcome does matter. Besides I've been in hundreds of situations involving both players having 3rd person view and I've never got into a situation you're describing - as long as one doesn't shoot the other it's a strictly theoretical situation because if one shoots the other guy is most likely dead anyway due to how ArmA/OFP plays.

Concerning the corridors - I dare you to try and do that when you hear footsteps coming up the stairs in a zombie infested building not knowing whether it's a human or a zombie when you're scared shitless because you might loose your stuff.

youre looking at this differently than i am. the outcome of the situation i described does not matter, it's just a scenario that demonstrates that the fact the players can see each other when they shouldn't be able to will influence their actions in an unrealistic (silly) way. that's the very core of it - it's unrealistic. the freedom of killing other people plays a large role in DayZ and the fear and tension related to it is reduced to silliness with third person involved.

as to your scenario, it sounds a lot like the apartments in the north part of cherno. and as it happens, yeah it's happened to me before. while scavenging I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and no moans so i camped a room and killed two people as they tried to enter the room. boy am i glad they didnt bother to peek around the corner with cheat view on, cause they definitely knew i was in the building somewhere.

stop trying to ruin the game for people who like 3rd person, go on a fpv server and stfu.

I don't see where an "out of body experience" button fits into an immersive survival mod.

The OP made a valid point and those that are disagreeing haven't added any weight to their argument.

Summary - Becuase you like it and it helps you to cope you would like it left in.