FinalNinja447

Reduced visibility with Ghillie

depends on your envirement.

dont think i need to explain this. But im sure it would be pretty hard to code into the game so...

lets just keep it the way it is.

In all honesty, I think it already does that. When playing Arma the ghillie affects how easily the AI can see you depending on the typical area. I've found myself in situations where if I'm in an environment that the ghillie fits in, the zeds do not aggro as much as to when I'm in other clothing.

That or I could turn into 'Ninja Mode' when I obtain a ghillie.

As we still don't have an accurate picture of what's causing the new aggroing in SA this is a hard topic to tackle. I think if I had to choose, I'd make aggro based on vision and sound like before but with a preference to sound. (helps zeds hunt at night)

The infected rely mostly on sound and I guess their vision would be mostly based on movement anyway. Can't really see a ghillie suit helping you much TBH.

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea, and it shouldn't be hard to code. The engine already knows what type of terrain you're on, as evident by different terrain triggering different movement sounds. Just set it that if you're in grass terrain, you get a slight bonus to visibility if you're wearing camo, and a slightly higher bonus if you're wearing a ghillie suit. Giving players a greater variety of useful items to hunt for expands the endgame, which is good for DayZ overall.

So long as that only applies if you're wearing the ghillie alone , no shiny objects like weapons or backpacks , or things that clunk , clang and jingle .

By the title I thought you were going to suggest snipers having less visibility because the ghillie suit gets in the way

I thought this thread was about the green beans on your head showing in your first person screen.

If you are running through a field this would make sense but if you are running though a very big town/city you should be more visible than ever IMO.

• Like 1

The infected rely mostly on sound and I guess their vision would be mostly based on movement anyway. Can't really see a ghillie suit helping you much TBH.

I agree with this. Movement and noise, and possibly smell, are the main factors of their survival whilst finding "food", camouflage however doesn't seem to be an appropriate survival method against zombies.

I agree with this. Movement and noise, and possibly smell, are the main factors of their survival whilst finding "food", camouflage however doesn't seem to be an appropriate survival method against zombies.

Just look back at all the zombie movies and games, theres been made so far. Its extremely rare to see someone say "Here put this piece of grass on your back and crawl through that pack of zombies, they cant see you" or "Here have this camo t-shirt, its like Harry's invisibliity cloak against zombies" ;)

As for camo, if anything it should not change a thing, as your arms and head is not camoflages, which is enough to make you very visible.

The zombies/infected as shown in the came clearly rely on more than just sound and movement. They clearly don't hone in on the movement and noise of other zombies or animals. Clearly, some portion of their infected brain is using a level of reasoning to process their vision and hearing in order to focus on sights and sounds that are strictly associated with non-infected humans. In such a situation, personal camouflage that's designed to make a human less perceptible to other humans should have a level of effect on the zombies as well, since obviously the zombies are using a certain level of their still human perceptive abilities to spot the non-infected.

Plus, it would just be good for the game, because it introduces more strategy, dynamics, and variety when it comes to interacting with the zombies, which is the core of the game.

Even if we were to say thats how the virus affect us, it could all be dismissed by saying, if they thought about it like you suggest, they would know you use camo. Or at the very least notice a "wierd moving bush" or learn what camo is.

If we also consider the fact that a zombie can spot you from 100 meters distance, its very likely they can tell the difference between a bush and a human in camo. Remember the virus makes then go into a killing frenzy, completely focused on humans and nothing else.

I dont think zombies use any kind of reasoning or think on any lvl. In my world its subconcious leftovers that are keeping them alive and walking/running.

This would also mean they dont think about a person being there or not, they just run for it instant, kinda like they do now. The subconciousness might even store some kind of information about human behavior, movement and other stuff.

LOS should be the only way to safely hide one self from zombies, it just seems wrong a guy can stand in the open and hide, simply by putting on a ghuille, while the other guy gets spottet from 100 meters hehe.

Another thing to consider, if the guille needs "buffing" like this, the vision need some serious imparing, you need to be slower with it on and it needs to have overheating capabilities. Its already a monster advantage over any other player who doesnt have one, why make it give advantages against zombies aswell?? That should be the only place where everybody is equal at all times tbh :)

Edited by Byrgesen

Even if we were to say thats how the virus affect us, it could all be dismissed by saying, if they thought about it like you suggest, they would know you use camo. Or at the very least notice a "wierd moving bush" or learn what camo is.

That would be true, but there's no reason to assume that the virus gives the zombies super-human senses or perception beyond what a focused human would have. I mean, right now, the zombies can spot a person laying on pavement, easier than they can a person laying in grass, as it should be. It makes plenty of sense that if a person has something on that makes him blend in more with the grass, that he should be ever harder to spot.

If we also consider the fact that a zombie can spot you from 100 meters distance, its very likely they can tell the difference between a bush and a human in camo.

The same could also be said of a non-infected human as well. Being able to spot a person at 100 meters isn't a sign of super-human perception. Also, the zombies don't always immediately aggro on any human within 100 meters. Then game internally prescribes some chance that they will spot you, with the type of terrain, movement speed, lighting, and obstacles in the way influencing that chance. There's no reason from a story or balance perspective why the type of clothing you're wearing can't also influence that chance, especially when the type of clothes were talking about are outfits that were specifically designed to counter human visual perception, which the zombies obviously make use of.

LOS should be the only way to safely hide one self from zombies, it just seems wrong a guy can stand in the open and hide, simply by putting on a ghuille, while the other guy gets spottet from 100 meters hehe.

I don't think any one's suggesting that a ghillie suit make you invisible to zombies. Ideally it would work something like this... Let's say we have a normally dressed player crouching in a field 100 meters away from a zombie. It's daytime, so the lighting is high. There a couple trees in the field between the zombie and the player, but none of them block line of site completely. Under all those conditions, the game calculates that the zombie has a 50% chance of spotting the player every second. If all conditions remained equal, but the player was instead in a camo outfit, then maybe that chance should be lowered to 45%, and if it's a ghillie suit, then 40%.

Another thing to consider, if the guille needs "buffing" like this, the vision need some serious imparing, you need to be slower with it on and it needs to have overheating capabilities. Its already a monster advantage over any other player who doesnt have one, why make it give advantages against zombies aswell?? That should be the only place where everybody is equal at all times tbh

The ghillie doesn't need to have any unrealistic penalties just to make it balanced. A major aspect of the game is finding equipment and supplies that increase your character's chance at survival. If ghillie suits were freely available all over the place, then yes, you would need to put in a trade-off for choosing to wear one, but like tons of other loot in the game, the easiest way to balance something's usefulness is to just set an appropriate rarity for it in the loot tables. On top of that, since clothing is permanently lost if the person wearing it is killed, camo and ghillie suits have a added mechanism for remaining rare. As for PvP, nothing is changed by giving the items some level of use in PvE as well.