Sign in to follow this  
psstloaf

Stink

So the zombies can smell you over their own stench? You get a little blood or dirt on you and they eat dead people, yet they can still smell you? That makes no sense.

It's true that human noses grow numb to smells fairly quickly. However this also applies to the smell of dried blood and decay. Nobody has stated what the smell detection radius should be either. In my opinion it should be fairly small, so that in circumstances, where you might normally be able to sneak close to an animal or past a zombie that is close to your position, the smell would be the deciding factor in whether the zombie or animal turns to face you.

Ways of masking your smell could also be added. Go and swim in a pool of mud or roll around in dirt to mask the scent of soap. :)

• Like 1

So the zombies can smell you over their own stench? You get a little blood or dirt on you and they eat dead people, yet they can still smell you? That makes no sense.

fresh meat, the cleaner you are the more detectable you would be, cut even more so

Edited by psstloaf

dirty leads to more chance of infection and disease

clean leads to more chance of detection

cuts heighten both

Edited by psstloaf

i shot walker 20 times with my rifle, in the torso. i say they should fix the zombies before anything else. plus, wouldnt it get a little too hard when you have both stink, blood, hunger/thirst, and temperature?

One person mentioned the occasional fly buzzing around. How about this?

If you are moving around you will not notice your own smell. But we're all gamers here, and I'm willing to bet most of us have sat right where we are now and caught a whiff of our own odor before.

If you are stationary for several (let's call it 20) seconds and not in a vehicle, you will briefly hear flies intermittently. A single fly buzzes by your ear for a second or two - you don't smell that bad. A mild susurrus of insects starts up every time you stop moving and keeps looping like you're next to a body in the current DayZ mod? You need to bleach your whole body.

I'm not sure what the plan is for player bodies - whether they will still have an audible report when you are near them - but if this idea goes in, corpses would have to have a smell timer on them as well which begins with the dead player's 'smell' level at the time of death and eventually becomes the same susurrus of buzzing you hear at maximum stench, multiplied by two.

Is it really that hard for you guys to add to an idea or just not post? This board is NOT for debating about features or telling people their ideas are crap. It is for attempting to come up with an idea that can be added to the game. I took 5 minutes out of my day and if someone told me that what I just described was a planned feature, I would believe them.

Please use the board for its intended purpose or don't use it at all.

So you are asking for the hearing mechanic to be turned to an "always on" setting, where instead of it being hearing based it would be a new guage of scent. Your scent being determined by the stuff you have touched and are currently holding...

Id rather they augment the parachute wind physics to involve this scent mechanic and have it so you have to be downwind of zombies or they will be drawn to you from up to a 10 meter radius. Not too sure I like the whole small circle around a player thats filled with stink. Id rather have it done right or not done at all.

Oh, did I mention only you hear your own flies buzzing when stationary? This goes in line with the OP idea where zombies can smell you.

Rather than it being an AoE bubble however I do think that it should simply be a chance of detection within a certain range. Cover should to some extent help with this. Ideally wind could be emulated but since it cannot be felt it would have to be gauged, which is no good. The best compromise in my opinion is the idea that if you are on the other side of a wall and the zombie is not taller than the wall, they will need to be much closer to have the same effect.

One person mentioned the occasional fly buzzing around. How about this?

If you are moving around you will not notice your own smell. But we're all gamers here, and I'm willing to bet most of us have sat right where we are now and caught a whiff of our own odor before.

If you are stationary for several (let's call it 20) seconds and not in a vehicle, you will briefly hear flies intermittently. A single fly buzzes by your ear for a second or two - you don't smell that bad. A mild susurrus of insects starts up every time you stop moving and keeps looping like you're next to a body in the current DayZ mod? You need to bleach your whole body.

I'm not sure what the plan is for player bodies - whether they will still have an audible report when you are near them - but if this idea goes in, corpses would have to have a smell timer on them as well which begins with the dead player's 'smell' level at the time of death and eventually becomes the same susurrus of buzzing you hear at maximum stench, multiplied by two.

Is it really that hard for you guys to add to an idea or just not post? This board is NOT for debating about features or telling people their ideas are crap. It is for attempting to come up with an idea that can be added to the game. I took 5 minutes out of my day and if someone told me that what I just described was a planned feature, I would believe them.

Please use the board for its intended purpose or don't use it at all.

the idea of the fly is starting to grow on me, more flies the stinkier you are. because it is also a way for other players to "hear" your stench.. if you follow?. at first half thought it was a bad idea because other players will hear you.. but is that not the point ?

so what were looking at now is

keep clean = not smelt/ "heard" by players but smelt by zombies also being less prone to infection and disease

stay dirty and get the opposite !?!?!?

So you are asking for the hearing mechanic to be turned to an "always on" setting, where instead of it being hearing based it would be a new guage of scent. Your scent being determined by the stuff you have touched and are currently holding...

Id rather they augment the parachute wind physics to involve this scent mechanic and have it so you have to be downwind of zombies or they will be drawn to you from up to a 10 meter radius. Not too sure I like the whole small circle around a player thats filled with stink. Id rather have it done right or not done at all.

great idea but adds more problems unless there putting in full cloths movement physics so you can see which way the wind is blowing! (trees, grass movement etc

in fact wind would be interesting for snipers!! :)

Edited by psstloaf

Oh, did I mention only you hear your own flies buzzing when stationary? This goes in line with the OP idea where zombies can smell you.

Rather than it being an AoE bubble however I do think that it should simply be a chance of detection within a certain range. Cover should to some extent help with this. Ideally wind could be emulated but since it cannot be felt it would have to be gauged, which is no good. The best compromise in my opinion is the idea that if you are on the other side of a wall and the zombie is not taller than the wall, they will need to be much closer to have the same effect.

agreed structures should play a factor in the smell aoe .. but well also looking at the wind warping your bubble, structures could also !

again were looking at brinking on maybe to far for pc resources to handle at this date!

Edited by psstloaf

Being able to coat yourself in zombie guts to walk among them would be awesome. (thank you Walking Dead)

agreed, unless it rains. :)