Sign in to follow this  
Dfekt

Fear System

Hello all,

Since we all know Dayz is pretty much a ffa atm and the humanity system isn't really working, I came up with an idea that might help towards more coop play and less kill on sight. One of the key points though, is some sort of group system. I dont mean a group system with icons and what not but a way for the game to know players are friendly towards eachother.

The idea

So the basic idea of a fear system, every player starts with a basic fear level ( like they did with humanity ) wich in influenced by the world itself aswell as the player and his/her actions. just a few things that would increase a players fear level could be; the amount of zeds in x radius of the player, high pop area's, nearby enemy players, zed aggro, killing a player aswell as nearby friendly infected players. while nearby friendly players, low pop area's or woods could return fear levels to normal over time. Increased fear levels result in shaking, loud breathing and maybe increased hunger or thirst. The amount of zed killed, players killed and time alive could influence how much of an effect these things have on their fear level.( keep in mind its all just a basic idea that would need lots of work).

So basicly, 10 zeds are more dangerous to 1 player than they are against 4 players, so 4 players would have little fear of them where 1 player rather avoids them.

So what would this do?

It would let people that group up undertake dangerous missions such as raiding an airfield with less risk than a solo player. Ofcourse a solo player is still able to do what ever he wants, but he is gonna need to be alot more carefull and stealthy.

Also it should prevent solo players from camping big cities with a sniper just to shoot all the fresh spawns as there aim would be pretty shaky and would be easy to spot.

I would like to know what you guys think of such a fear system, pro's aswell as cons ofc.

Any other suggestions to it are always welcome!

Edited by Dfekt
  • Like 1

This came up about two days ago. Here was my contribution. In a nutshell, I think that fear, in game, should only be a significant factor if you, the player, not the character are genuinely scared.

As far as I can see there is plenty of room for panicked shooting, making bad decisions, even breaking cover and running for it out of sheer terror in-game allready. The best way to capitalize on this is to give us more to fear, not to make us feel like we are inside the head of a person that is frightened when we might be perfectly calm IRL.