ChuckGeller

Starting gear - Morphine instead of Painkillers?

Hey,

I wanted to present a small suggestion that will take away a little bit of hassle for new players.

My idea is changing the starting medical gear from "bandage + painkiller" to "bandage + morphine".

It would reduce a small bit of "randomness" of a leg-braking zombie/bullet hit which would render a starting character useless.

Why?

Because you would have to crawl until you find morphine.

Where is the problem?

Morphine is rare. Unless you have a hospital or military building nearby, you have a ~0.08% chance to loot it in a residential-class building(shops, churches, homes).

If you're lucky to be close to a military base, morphine spawns at a 0.96% chance (still rare).

Am I too soft? :)

What do you think?

geller

Morphine? in your starting gear? you wouldnt grab that if you were abandoning a ship, to swim to a mainland full of zombies.

Or some other lame cookie cutter justification comment.

No, seriously. i agree with you.

break your leg early on and you might as well kill yourself and start over. Another genius change, eh?

I completely agree. I'd much rather a morphine over a painkillers any day.

Besides their tendency at times to be rare as can be, its inevitable that when you don't have one, you will get a broken leg by the first zombie/tree root/doorstep you come across thats at least 2 or 3 hours crawl away from a hospital (and before you say it, asking for another player's assistance is risky at best and, unless your in a very high traffic area, pointless to attempt unless you want to use global etc.

An alternative to this would be the ability to fashion a makeshift splint with your hatchet, that would allow you to walk/run at half speed (just a rough figure).

I don't know. I think painkillers are more important, pretty much never break my legs anyway. When you get hit and the screen shake is so annoying to look at!

Making a splint sounds like an awesome addition though! It's not like morphine magically heals broken bones in real life. Morphine is the same thing as painkillers as far as I know just much stronger.

I personally think morphine should be replaced or supplemented with some sort of splinting system. At the moment, having what is essentially a higher dose of painkillers somehow fix a broken bone is kinda silly.

That said, the amount of things you can break your bones on is also kinda silly.