Sign in to follow this  
heath1056

DayZ - Really low fps. Help?

I max out at about 20 fps but that's only when I first spawn and sometimes running through random forests. I mostly play on Taviana. For the most part, my fps is down in the teens and around 12-15. I feel I'm at a huge disadvantage in fights...and was wondering if anyone knew of any solutions? I run at least 100+ fps on other games...WoW, BO2, etc...

I've tried fixing the in-game settings, I've changed some things in the .cfg files, set up different launch paramters, and I've downloaded Razer Game Booster...but nothing has helped.

I would appreciate and welcome any tips and/or pointers....I'm really tapped out and about to quit.

My specs:

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop

Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53 GHz

4.00 GB RAM DDR2

nVidia GeForce 460M GPU

Windows 8

Edited by heath1056
  • Like 1

Taviana kills my FPS as well, more so than most other maps, but I have bad FPS to start with. What are your in-game settings at? Resolution, etc.

Taviana kills my FPS as well, more so than most other maps, but I have bad FPS to start with. What are your in-game settings at? Resolution, etc.

I run everything at low or off, my res and 3d is at 1920x1080. That's my native res anyway.

My friend has a computer not much better or a lil worse than mine and he runs 35-45 so it's frustrating.

I'm running a 2GB GTX 670, 8GB RAM and an i7 processor, and certain parts of Taviana make my rig pretty unhappy as well, so I think it's a fairly universal thing. :)

True I understand that Taviana is harder on the PC than the other maps, but it's my fav map. Everyone I ask within the game is running over 40 or so. These people have great shots and I have a feeling that I'm at a huge disadvantage by running half of their fps. Especially in Bylov and other major cities.

I don't think it's a CPU problem. I could be wrong but when I was running DayZ it was using 50% of my CPU usage, and 100% of my GPU. I don't know what that means but it's kind of unsettling.

On my PC at least, the further I turn down the resolutions, the better frames I get.

Indeed. If you're absolutely insistent on playing Taviana, then perhaps you're going to have to lower your settings a notch or two and try to stay out of Sabina unless you really have to.

DayZ is in Alpha, and Taviana is an unofficial map, so that's pretty much a worst-case scenario as far as optimisation is concerned, so there might not be an awful lot you can do beyond lowering your settings.

Try going into your n'vidia control panel and disabling ambient occlusion. It plays havoc with fps in dayz because of all the shadows blades of grass and tree's make.

Failing that mate i think a laptop playing dayz is in itself a stretch. Also disable anti'aliasing if you havn't already, and enable fxaa if you wish. Shadows also plague lower spec setups.

Disable those too. Also in some cases, setting things to the lowest will transfer a lot of the load to your processor, which in your case would overheat your lappy.

Hope this helps PM me with results :)

I max out at about 20 fps but that's only when I first spawn and sometimes running through random forests. I mostly play on Taviana. For the most part, my fps is down in the teens and around 12-15. I feel I'm at a huge disadvantage in fights...and was wondering if anyone knew of any solutions? I run at least 100+ fps on other games...WoW, BO2, etc...

I've tried fixing the in-game settings, I've changed some things in the .cfg files, set up different launch paramters, and I've downloaded Razer Game Booster...but nothing has helped.

I would appreciate and welcome any tips and/or pointers....I'm really tapped out and about to quit.

My specs:

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop

Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53 GHz

4.00 GB RAM DDR2

nVidia GeForce 460M GPU

Windows 8

I dont know much much about this... But some computers get better fps if you try to turn your settings on medium or high?

Well taviana is a fps killer on moust pc'es no matter how good it is. Taviana is way to buggy for a smoth game play if u ask me.

+ your laptop only got 4gb DDr2 ram, and that is not much when it comes to this game.

Edited by mrcain

Try going into your n'vidia control panel and disabling ambient occlusion. It plays havoc with fps in dayz because of all the shadows blades of grass and tree's make.

Failing that mate i think a laptop playing dayz is in itself a stretch. Also disable anti'aliasing if you havn't already, and enable fxaa if you wish. Shadows also plague lower spec setups.

Disable those too. Also in some cases, setting things to the lowest will transfer a lot of the load to your processor, which in your case would overheat your lappy.

Hope this helps PM me with results :)

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all of those settings in the past. I found an "Ultimate FPS helper guide" type thing and tried everything on the list. Fixed my in-game settings accordingly, fixed my .cfg files certain ways, changed my nVidia settings, and even have tried Game Booster (both the original and Razer GB). I've even turned down my resolution and 3D setting and haven't seen a change. That's what is really blowing my mind. No matter how I change the settings they don't get any better or worse. The only time it gets worse is if I change the 3D to 200%. Other than that, it's always hanging around a constant 10-20.

I've seen posts on this forum where people would have such-and-such laptop and still pull 45-55 fps with it. Mine isn't as good as those, but not far off either. Seriously I'd be happy with a constant 30. My friend is having the exact same problem as I am and he has a desktop with a little better specs than mine.

I'm tapped out, it's not just a Taviana problem because I've always run low fps...even on Chernarus. Even when I'm playing Wasteland I tend to get low fps, although it's still a little smoother because it's not a mod I guess. Which settings in particular drain your CPU usage over your GPU? Which ones should I turn off of low? My GPU is much better than my CPU, but like I said before my CPU isn't really drained according to my task manager. It's staying cool and Arma II/DayZ is only using about 50% of it.

I've pretty much figured out that I can't set anything differently. My only choices are to upgrade my RAM or to completely upgrade a new desktop computer, which I'm not sure is an investment I'm willilng to make just to play one game (even if it is one of my favs). But then again I can't figure out how come one of my friends with a computer worse or similar to mine is getting a constant 40+ fps either.

Thanks for all the replies though, it's nice to see everyone is trying to help or offer their advice.

Edited by heath1056

Hey everyone !

First off all thnx for the help guys.

I've had trouble with this game since i got it -.- Soooo i've spent a lot of time on google and youtube and found a lot of interesting stuff that helped me and also a lot that didnt help.

As said in other posts... we dont all have the same problem so its not sure this will work for you.

So first of all here's my specs.

-Windows 8 Pro 64bit

-Intel wolfdale Dual core OC @ 3.60ghz (stabble 24/7 with max temp 47 in BF3 at high)

-7gb mixed DDR2 RAM (yeah i know its not good but the pc is made from old parts i had laying around)

-P5N32 E sli plus Motherboard

-Nvidia 260gtx OC @ Core 656. Shader 1414. Memory 1119. Fan 75. Max temp under 90%-99% load 60*c

-My primary HDD is a 1tb WD Caviar 5400rpm but i use Ram disk right now. I don't know exactly if Ramdisk made any changes. but i tested write and read speed on the hdd and it was approx 100mb/sec for both read and write so it might not make any big diffference unless you have DDR3 1600mhz or something really fast then it might give some boost.

-550W Corsair PSU

So what i did to make it work at pretty much constant 30fps is:

Startup setting: -noPause -nosplash -skipintro -world=empty (no splash, skipintro and world empty is just to make the game startup faster and no pause does that it doesnt freeze the game when you Alt+Tab out to go on youtube to watch a fail/win compilation for some unknown reason)

Here are my CFG files.

ArmA2.cfg

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=907149312;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

------------------------------------------------

and Arma2OA.cfg

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1470;

Render_H=917;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=907149312;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=0;

AToC=0;

PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0;

Windowed=0;

serverLongitude=47;

serverLatitude=4;

------------------------------------------------

For my in game settings i have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8irbfbhv4g18lmt/arma2oa_2013_06_03_11_53_49_734.bmp

And i also set the game as High priority, i had some stutter some times (rare but they were there) and i don't have them with High Priority.

In win7 i think you just have to open Task manager and right click on the game and set priority.

In win8 open Task manager and go to the Details tab and find your Arma2OA and right click go to Set priority and set to High priority. Not affinity !

FPS:

Standing in the forest:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kvdkwlw9egunl9/arma2oa%202013-06-03%2012-08-03-44.bmp

Running:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tulx4wdnapbuuii/arma2oa%202013-06-03%2012-09-28-08.bmp

At a small town:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56frnz84dj3cmdt/arma2oa%202013-06-03%2012-09-47-10.bmp

Sry i couldnt figure out how to upload a pic on the forum ill check it out later :)

I use DayZ Commander to launch the game. The game is bought from steam and the folders with Arma2.cfg and Arma2OA.cfg are in Documents/Arma2 folder