Sign in to follow this  
Land Squid

Canteens...

Just something that was brought up several times during group scavenging missions....

Canteens really should be more than single use items. You don't stop and chug a liter of water in 20 seconds when you start feeling thirsty. It would be highly appreciative if we could have, say, 4-6 draws on a canteen.

I'm not sure how the current canteen system works, if it's just switching between two items, one being full and the other empty, or if it's using a value system. If the former why couldn't there simply be five total canteen items. Full, 3/4, half, 1/4, empty. Each drink changes the item to the next one down, refilling changes any of the lower four back to full.

Option to fill Jerry Cans with not just fuel, but water too! That way you could drink up to 4 times.

2 drinks per canteen would be the better option imo. However, as a consequence, make them rarer.

The idea of filling Jerry Cans as a large portable source of water is quite a cool one. Not sure how feasible it would be though.

Well if you are going to bring in the idea of using the Jerry Cans for water... dont forget the sickness you get from the left over residue from the fuel. There is a reason they are maxed in real life.

How about we split the difference and make it 3 uses? A liter is approximately 35 ounces, where as the soda's in the game are 12 ounce cans. So a full canteen roughly equals 3 sodas in total volume.

2 drinks from canteen would be nice.

And reduce radically the amount of diabetes-drink-loot. That way ppl are more forced to wonder in the little village/ponds/etc. to fill their canteens.

Another thought, a rare loot item could be a 3 liter camelbak. Two slots perhaps but a lot more uses.

Land Squid, I like your thinking. That would awesome. I would actually like it to have its own item slot though. Free up some more room.

Perhaps have the camelbak use one of the tool slots at the bottom instead? It is after all usually it's own backpack-esque thing that you can wear under your normal backpack.

Camelback is a great idea, perhaps a rare varient of every backpack with a camelback too? IE, you may find an Alice Pack in a supermarket, but a rarer varient would be an ALICE with a Camelback attached? I think I may be overworking it there though.

I thought about it some more. Really seems like the canteen and camelbak would be tool type items and go in a slot along with your matches, toolbox, etc. You simply don't throw away those items, you reuse them. Only the one-use consumables should be in general inventory and perhaps the canteens can be replaced by small bottled waters instead. Have players start with a couple bottles of water and make the 3-4 use canteens be an uncommon find, and the 8-10 use camelbaks a very rare find.