Redrick (DayZ)

Reasons to huddle around a campfire..

Ok, I've noticed outside the immediate cooking of steaks, and posing for group shots, the purpose of campfires is seemingly pointless. I mean sure, you huddle around it to keep your temperature up, but beyond the 5 minutes of doing that it's more of a cosmetic feature. I'm wondering what can be added to make campfires useful for prolonge exposure.

Maybe it's my inner stalker talking, but it was those seldom campfires where your brothers huddled around just telling stories that truly made me feel safe in the zone (As far as I know STALKER is the only game with random campfires).

Perhaps, since Side chat is out, and direct chat is now working, maybe if the game detects a campfire, and another person or persons sitting around it talking through direct chat something positive can happen for the players involved. No, this isn't some "GROUP UP MORE GAMEPLAY MECHANIC GOES GOOD" suggestion. No, this is a natural realistic suggestion that in the real world would make sense.

So, what could this positive thing be that would make people actually want to sit down by a fire?

(Original thread was deleted, was told it was cool to just remake it)

-Maybe increased effectiveness of support items like bandages, morphine, etc. Sort of like being able to see while performing first-aid is always a plus.

-Perhaps food and drink work slightly better for being warm and dry and generally feeling good.

-Negative effects are slowed. Hunger, pains, panic, etc.

I like the idea of making the fireplaces more useful. Would be interesting to see some mechanics added in for stuff like that.

I'm on board with Kleid's idea, that the campfire increases the effectiveness of first-aid/food while decreasing the effectiveness of pain, hunger, etc. while in proximity to the campfire

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaKDWXf5qL2FFfAC58LzvJGp2PHOaCrhbF1VjVegbi2afGFyuLuY6oOhOXEg

SEX.

Are you the same one who asked for a sexual tension meter? :P

I honestly haven't survived long enough or found a solid group of people to make use of campfires. But this does seem like a solid and non-gambreaking feature to add. Plus I think it would help with the 'teaming up' effect that Rocket is striving for, again without being over the top with the 'buffs' you'd get from the campfire.

STALKER <3

Perhaps being around the campfire could also temporarily reduce/remove pain shakes if you've been having them because of the soothing and calming aspect?

SEX.

Are you the same one who asked for a sexual tension meter? :P

No but I fully endorse this idea.

SEX.

Can sex result in loud noises increasing the possibility of producing a horror-movie scenario where people are having their mandatory topless scene which gets interrupted with a sudden appearance of the undead and a 10% chance of having your genitals removed in an over-the-top hollywood manner? Or maybe if you get attacked while doing the deed and choose to run, there is a skin for being in underwear and you lose all your gear and get really cold.

-Maybe increased effectiveness of support items like bandages' date=' morphine, etc. Sort of like being able to see while performing first-aid is always a plus.

-Perhaps food and drink work slightly better for being warm and dry and generally feeling good.

-Negative effects are slowed. Hunger, pains, panic, etc.

[/quote']

+1

Very good idea.

...oh god no NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i don't want dayz to become broke back mountain the video game NOOOO

But i will add my 2 cents

What if the mouse scroll option had a SEX option and for it to happen the other person would have to agree by also clicking the sex option, if they did awkward animations would ensue and well i guess temperature would go up (yay?...)

BUT IF THEY DIDN"T CLICK YES...you would begin the SURPRISE BUTTSEX animation and intern laugh while the other person is like WHAT THE DEUCE??!?!?

Its not rape...its surprise buttsex...that is all.

***This is easy, have it restore blood.:heart::heart::heart:

Not a lot, like slightly less then you lose from not eating or not drinking (so you have to eat and drink still). Also, it can't be faster then bleeding.

I would recommend a tiered structure.

Player Blood Level - Blood Gained Per 3 Second.

1-4500 = 16 blood every 3 seconds (3.1 minutes per 1000)

4501-9000 = 9 health every 3 seconds (5.5 minutes per 1000 blood)

9001-11000 = 6 health every 3 seconds (8.3 minutes per 1000 blood)

11001-12000 = 3 health every 3 seconds (16.6 minutes per 1000 blood)

This would take a player from 1 to 12,000 in about 71 minutes. 1 to 11k in about an hour. The key to the last tier is to let people hang around when nearly full health but also not consider it a primary way to reach full health (beans/meat may be faster). Also, wood burns out, so you have to keep gathering I believe, even if its easy, it prevents people from going afk next to a fire.

Alternatively, you could cap healing from a fire to 10,000 blood. Problem with this, is that players with >10k blood wouldn't have a reason to stay at the fire. Where if we tier it, players with <12000 health always have a reason to stay by the fire, even if slowly regaining blood. Ahem, rocket if you like this, be sure that 2 fires WONT heal players twice as fast :)

***Important : Fires should not only send out light (At night), but also a large smoke tower so that during the day they can be found as well.

We're also ignoring a big reason that people build fires in the wild: to keep animals away.

Currently I believe that Zeds are drawn to fire because they are drawn to light in general. I'd like to see this tweaked to make fire draw Zeds from farther away but repel them at a distance of 10 or 15m. If fires were also temporary, this would allow survivors to create small "safe" patches of ground wherever they wanted, but just don't let that fire go out, the horde is very close...

We're also ignoring a big reason that people build fires in the wild: to keep animals away.

Currently I believe that Zeds are drawn to fire because they are drawn to light in general. I'd like to see this tweaked to make fire draw Zeds from farther away but repel them at a distance of 10 or 15m. If fires were also temporary' date=' this would allow survivors to create small "safe" patches of ground wherever they wanted, but just don't let that fire go out, the horde is very close...

[/quote']

I see where you're coming from with this, but the reason animals stay away from fire is because they have a sense of self preservation and in the case of predatory animals, a sense of strategy. When talking about zeds, I would say they have neither of these things and just a screaming lust for flesh, ignoring the fact that stepping into light might expose them and result in their death. If these are infected types, I would liken their actions to someone on crack or speed. Just a mindset of "go, go, go." In this case I would imagine they would be attracted to it regardless of how close they got.

Yeah, I guess my idea was based around creating a possibility for survivors to get in interesting situations rather than purity of Zed-concept. maybe something else can keep them back...

Have humanity go a bit the longer you sit at a campfire with at least 1 other player. It would in essence reflect the whole huddling, gazing, storytelling experience.

***This is easy' date=' have it restore blood.:heart::heart::heart:

Not a lot, like slightly less then you lose from not eating or not drinking (so you have to eat and drink still). Also, it can't be faster then bleeding.

I would recommend a tiered structure.

Player Blood Level - Blood Gained Per 3 Second.

1-4500 = 16 blood every 3 seconds (3.1 minutes per 1000)

4501-9000 = 9 health every 3 seconds (5.5 minutes per 1000 blood)

9001-11000 = 6 health every 3 seconds (8.3 minutes per 1000 blood)

11001-12000 = 3 health every 3 seconds (16.6 minutes per 1000 blood)

This would take a player from 1 to 12,000 in about 71 minutes. 1 to 11k in about an hour. The key to the last tier is to let people hang around when nearly full health but also not consider it a primary way to reach full health (beans/meat may be faster). Also, wood burns out, so you have to keep gathering I believe, even if its easy, it prevents people from going afk next to a fire.

Alternatively, you could cap healing from a fire to 10,000 blood. Problem with this, is that players with >10k blood wouldn't have a reason to stay at the fire. Where if we tier it, players with <12000 health always have a reason to stay by the fire, even if slowly regaining blood. Ahem, rocket if you like this, be sure that 2 fires WONT heal players twice as fast :)

***Important : Fires should not only send out light (At night), but also a large smoke tower so that during the day they can be found as well.

[/quote']

I cant agree more then enough with this. Blood in real life does replenish in real life if the wound has been bandaged to stop bleeding. This sounds perfect.

Maybe have campfires be a sort of 'safe zone' where within 50 meters or 100 or w/e all players are immune to damage from other players. Could even turn into a sort of paintball sorta thing but that's weird. I know this sorta goes against the whole idea of there being smoke to attract bad ppl out there in the world but it could also be a sort of safe meeting area where people can come to interact and know they're not going to get shot in the head as they're walking up.

Regenerating blood over time is also a great idea.

You do know the environment factor has barely been implemented and there's already plans layed out to increase the adverse affects of the environment, right?