Sign in to follow this  
Lions1885

Grouping up.

Will there be some sort of group forming enabled in the standalone?

For instance when you pres 'P' to get the server list up

You click on a player and invite to group and you can talk over comms or type to them in a group channel.

Lots of topics on this already but i dont see this going in as a standard feature. Rocket specifically stated that the disorientation is all part of what he wants of the game. While i do like it, even side chat is pushing realism IMO

I'm guessing long-range comms etc. would have to be done by radio in SA.

It's the only realistic way to allow talking to someone who's miles away from you.

In that case you'd have to meet someone face to face to share frequencies and stuff. (or just browse the airwaves)

Personally I think grouping should definitely be added. Group chat can be left out, as long as direct chat is an option. Lootable radios would be the best option for semi-private long-range communication. On top of that, I think while grouped, you should be given an on-screen indication of your groupmates' locations, as long as they're within a certain distance of you. I know some of you will say that such a feature would be unrealistic, but I think actually it would be more realistic than the current situation. In real life you have much better peripheral vision than what you get in DayZ, plus in real life you can use the movement of your head and eyes to very easily track the location of friends that are in your immediate vicinity. Facial expressions, body language, and hand gestures in real life can also convey all sorts of information that just isn't possible to convey with the Arma 2 engine. In game features that better approximate the natural ability humans have to operate as a group would only enhance the realism of the game, and would improve the gameplay experience. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in that I will often choose to just keep playing solo, because the hassles of trying to keep a group organized using only tunnel vision and voice chat just isn't worth the hassle.

please go

No. Can you telepathically communicate in real life?

Can you see where someone is outside of your vision in real life?

No, right? Precisely. The only way to keep a group organized is to COMMUNICATE. Believe it or not, when you plan ahead, or talk to your groupmates, you'll be able to work with them. Shocking.

Can you see where someone is outside of your vision in real life?

No, right? Precisely.

Whenever someone uses this argument about something in a game all I can assume is that it's someone who rarely actually goes out and experiences real life. A CG world presented to you with highly limited peripheral vision and simulated sound as the only two senses you can use gives you quite a bit LESS awareness of your surroundings than you would have in real life. Now, it's fine if someone wants to say that everyone should just be happy with those handicaps, but it's a BS argument to somehow say that it's more real to live with those handicaps instead of trying to come up with in-game ways to approximate the type of spatial awareness that the standard limitations of a FPS can't get around. Also, if the goal in DayZ is to encourage players to interact, group, and cooperate more instead of going solo with a KOS mentality, then I think there's definitely a place to discuss in-game tools that further that goal while striking the right balance between maintaining immersion and enhancing gameplay.

I don't think you should be able to group in terms of a private group chat or anything like communication wise short of finding a radio and picking frequencies. I do however think you should be able to choose your buddies in the initial group screen before loading in and if you are all fresh spawns you should be able to spawn together. It's not unrealistic to assume you all fell off the same ship together and washed on shore.

Whenever someone uses this argument about something in a game all I can assume is that it's someone who rarely actually goes out and experiences real life. A CG world presented to you with highly limited peripheral vision and simulated sound as the only two senses you can use gives you quite a bit LESS awareness of your surroundings than you would have in real life. Now, it's fine if someone wants to say that everyone should just be happy with those handicaps, but it's a BS argument to somehow say that it's more real to live with those handicaps instead of trying to come up with in-game ways to approximate the type of spatial awareness that the standard limitations of a FPS can't get around. Also, if the goal in DayZ is to encourage players to interact, group, and cooperate more instead of going solo with a KOS mentality, then I think there's definitely a place to discuss in-game tools that further that goal while striking the right balance between maintaining immersion and enhancing gameplay.

Having a giant GUI menu saying "HEY, MAKE BUDDIES HERE, AND PUT GIANT ARROWS OVER THEIR FOREHEADS" isn't an option we have in real life either. It also isn't immersing, or enhancing gameplay.

Knowing where people are outside of your vision doesn't make up for the sense of feeling. We don't have spatial awareness that allows us to know where someone near us is 100% of the time.

A big part of the game is being unsure about your surroundings, and this would get rid of this HUGE important part of the game.

Realism helps.

Communication, awareness of your surroundings and the ability to recognise your own friends are part of the package of skills which YOU as a player must bring to the table.

DayZ is quite demanding in that regard compared to other games, but it's certainly not excessive. It's just something you have to deal with. It's part of the experience.

Having a giant GUI menu saying "HEY, MAKE BUDDIES HERE, AND PUT GIANT ARROWS OVER THEIR FOREHEADS" isn't an option we have in real life either. It also isn't immersing, or enhancing gameplay.

Knowing where people are outside of your vision doesn't make up for the sense of feeling. We don't have spatial awareness that allows us to know where someone near us is 100% of the time.

A big part of the game is being unsure about your surroundings, and this would get rid of this HUGE important part of the game.

Realism helps.

then the game should make unique faces to EVERYBODY, differente voices, different accents, different heights, different body types, and everything, to make every character really UNIQUE, so you can see and differ your friends from an uknown person.

We're in a game where everybody uses pre modeled faces, bodys, everything, you cant differ an enemy from a friend, that's not even close to realistic.

So a way to counterbalance that should be a GUI that you can only see when you can see your friend's face, simple as that.

Edited by lipemr

then the game should make unique faces to EVERYBODY, differente voices, different accents, different heights, different body types, and everything, to make every character really UNIQUE, so you can see and differ your friends from an uknown person.

We're in a game where everybody uses pre modeled faces, bodys, everything, you cant differ an enemy from a friend, that's not even close to realistic.

So a way to counterbalance that should be a GUI that you can only see when you can see your friend's face, simple as that.

There's voice chat in the game.

Communication can take up for body shape.

There should be no reason you don't know who's friend or foe.

Well, if you don't communicate, maybe?

Maybe it was a simple mistake. It could happen.

There's voice chat in the game.

Communication can take up for body shape.

There should be no reason you don't know who's friend or foe.

Well, if you don't communicate, maybe?

Maybe it was a simple mistake. It could happen.

yeah, a voice chat that you can hear up to almost 200m distance, totally realistic too dude :rolleyes:

yeah, a voice chat that you can hear up to almost 200m distance, totally realistic too dude :rolleyes:

*cough*Zombies*cough*

*cough**cough*infinitesprint*cough*

Sorry. Tickly throat today.

As much as I like realism in Dayz, its still a game. I convinced a few friends to start playing but they quit after running around going nowhere for 20 minutes.

But since realism is a big issue for lots of people here, there should be ways to make some sort of party system without being to unrealistic. Im not sure about you guys but I dont live that far from my friends, we live in the same city or town nearby. So maybe it would be a nice thing to start as a "group" and be able to spawn max 2500 meters away from eachother. Party chat is not needed since most people that play together will use teamspeak or skype anyway. If you get the option to sort of customise your character than no partymember icons are needed either. As far as I noticed its the Huge space between people that bothers new players the most.

I really hope somthing like this will be in the SA!

With radios/acre you could send out signals that your friends could pick up on a selected freq once they have obtained one aswell. That would keep immersion and satisfy both sides. Its no point and click to team up but at least it can form some bonds.

you realise that about 1.5m people own DayZ?...and with the hype of the standalone....that should increase.....say 2m voices,faces,builds....use your brain

As much as I like realism in Dayz, its still a game. I convinced a few friends to start playing but they quit after running around going nowhere for 20 minutes.

But since realism is a big issue for lots of people here, there should be ways to make some sort of party system without being to unrealistic. Im not sure about you guys but I dont live that far from my friends, we live in the same city or town nearby. So maybe it would be a nice thing to start as a "group" and be able to spawn max 2500 meters away from eachother. Party chat is not needed since most people that play together will use teamspeak or skype anyway. If you get the option to sort of customise your character than no partymember icons are needed either. As far as I noticed its the Huge space between people that bothers new players the most.

I really hope somthing like this will be in the SA!

My group will be solely using ingame comms (radios if they are implemented) for our play - much more immersive and tense, someone could be listening at all times. Planning to have a Skype ban when SA is released, with a predisclosed location to meet at a certain time. Going to be fun. :D