nyles

Manage Individual Bullets

Hey guys,

In my opinion, part of the reason why people often are very trigger happy is down the simple fact that magazines always refill upon reconnect.

This is because they are treated as individual items and the server can only fully restore them or not give them to you at all, when you log back on. There is no middle ground.

This basically allows you keep firing around as much as you want as long as you keep at least a single bullet in the magazine when you log off. When the server reassigns your gear on reconnect, it only knows that you had X magazines when you logged off, but is unaware of their exact contents.

It would be nice, if we could get a workaround, and make people really think first, if they want to spend a bullet for their precious rare weapon.

This is speculation, but many bandits might stop hunting players on the lower end, because it will cost them more than they will get out of the loot. Of course, it will not make the whole issue go away.

The ideal solution would be to add ammunition micro-management on the game's side (nothing that can be done on the mod level, I suppose), so that magazines are no longer the smallest unit, but are just treated as containers you can fill with individual bullets of a specific type (or even mixed types, like tracers, etc).

This would allow players to move ammo easily between magazines, and provide a server-side tracking option how much ammunition players actually carry and avoid exploits by having to restore full magazines all the time.

----

An easier to implement alternative to this could potentially be creating a number of additional magazine variants per weapon.

The game would then regularly count the ammo per magazine in the player's inventory and convert it to a magazine with a lower max count where appropriate. These magazines could also be added to the loot lists, so players could actually find a sniper rifle magazine with just a couple rounds in, rather than always finding full magazines.

An example:

I have a Makarov with 3 magazines. I fire a couple shots and reload before every magazine is empty, until I have 3 magazines with 1 bullet left in each.

What happens now: I reconnect and have 3 full magazines again

What should happen: I reconnect and instead of 3 full magazines, I have three 1 round magazines in my inventory.

Opinions?

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case for any of my weapons, it seems at though any magazines that are less than 75% used (Rough Estimate), disappear upon reconnection.

Now sure your idea would be plausible ,however the only way for myself to use this function to my advantage would mean firing no more than 6 bullets in each of my MP5 Mags then reconnecting.

This means i will need to re log far too often for my liking, with the latest update on 1.7.0 zombies spawning in buildings means more than half the time going in guns blazing and using my ammo :)

Ill keep an eye on my ammo and try to save a bullet in each mag but from what i've seen they all disappear.

IIRC i once logged in and all my ammo for both secondary/primary had gone, this was having a nice zombie hunt a green mountain :)

The auto-refill-on-reconnect is definitely the case for me. Just played another session with my m9 SD and 4 mags. I had it down to 1-2 rounds per mag, and now all four magazines are at 15 rounds again.

i have tried to log out when im at 1 bullet 1 mag. i tried at least 3 times. when i log in i have zero bullets no mags.

perhaps its only for certain guns? i tried with m9sd

I had 6 bullets in my enfield (which i happily dropped for a wincheste afterward ) and when i reconnected the mag was still full (10 bullets).

So i confirm.

For me it is always <50% in the clip and it disappears, regardless of gun. >50% and it refills.

mags should be treated as backpacks for bullets with the gun drawing from the ammo left inside, make mags somewhat rare(only find one with the gun usualy )and have ammo come as loose rounds ,50 held per chest slot 100 per backpack slot 15 per belt slot?(numbers held per slot can be based on the rounds size so you might only be able to carry 10 50cal per chest slot or 25 for 7.62 nato, 16 shotgun,)guns that feed ammo manualy like boltaction rifles the winny , revolver and shotguns would not need clips but would have a longer reload time based on there mag size.

ammo could then be found as loose rounds a zombie might have 3 extra mak rounds or a shotshell, mill zombies might have a empty clip or a handfull of assaultrifle rounds, ammo spawns might have a mishmash of ammo types a barn might have 5 5.56 shots 10 shotshells 2 45 rounds and 8 mak rounds, meaning players need to explore more to get ammo but can probaby find ammo(some) for there assaultrifle without going to the airport or hitting all the deer stands near them

I think this is due to the way the ARMA 2 engine works, and scripts to remember bullet count would get complex and possibly lead to performance issues.

I can't imagine anything like this happening while still using Arma 2, but maybe it'll be a potential feature when the map is converted to Arma 3 (one can only hope its inventory system is much deeper). It's definitely something I thought of before, since it's a pain to have 3 mags with 2 shots in them. It would make sense to be able to pull out the bullets and combine them into a single mag. I also hope that mags don't sit in your inventory while loaded into a gun, but that's a different topic.

This trick is basically part of my game. I and any other experienced player knows damn well that unlimited ammo is right around the corner if you don't use all of your mag.

In a world where the bullet count would be kept track of... Many many things would change... Especially for those piles of cartilage that snipe the Knights of the Flashlight Table.

i have tried to log out when im at 1 bullet 1 mag. i tried at least 3 times. when i log in i have zero bullets no mags.

perhaps its only for certain guns? i tried with m9sd

Sometimes the mag disappears entirely, sometimes it refills. It is a chance based on how full the mag is. However, there is an exploit that allows for mags to always refill and never disappear. I'm not going to explain it here, for obvious reasons. Just know that every dedicated sniper is abusing the hell out of it so that they never have to leave their perch. Just serverhop-blam-blam-serverhop-blam-repeat, racking up those kills.

Please fix ammo exploits and server hopping. Signed, everyone.

the thing is, from what i understand rocket came up with a temporary solution in which there is a chance it will refill as well as disappear.

yes currently this is quite a problem i find myself exploiting without even really trying, once you get a decent weapon like an AK74 or one of the stanag rifles, find 6 mags then for the rest of that characters life you barely need to go ammo hunting, in one session your hardly going to empty 6 mags at anything, any you do shoot you reload before 10 rounds left or whatever.

in which case they are back again after you leave or go afk for a bit.

7.62 has the bullet system where you could stockpile rounds and mags separate and have different mag sizes for different guns doubled tapped, smaller yield m16 mags all types, not much inventory space in DayZ though.

I guess the main bonus here is ammo will finally become a proper commodity and make you think twice about wasting it, knowing you will have to farm more.

Looks like there is a solution for this on the horizon with the new script commands introduced with ArmA II beta 93965.

[93945] New: setGearSlotAmmoCount, setIDCAmmoCount, gearIDCAmmoCount, gearSlotAmmoCount gear commands