Imbalanxd

Now more than ever, reduce weapon and ammo spawns

One thing that has always bothered me about DayZ is how ubiquitous weapons are. This is supposed to be an accurate depiction of an apocalyptic zombie wasteland, yet almost every player who isn't a complete noob will acquire a gun within 10 minutes of spawning, and will possess a fire arm in some form or another until his death. Not only that, but players will usually have an abundance of ammo available for their weapon. I can count on one hand the number of times that I ran out of ammo for all my weapons. To me, this isn't realistic, and is a by product of the association most people make between the first person perspective and possessing a firearm.

Until recently, this approach was a necessity. Once alerted, a zombie could essentially only be stopped by a bullet to the head, or numerous bullets to the body. This is no longer the case, however. Zombies can now be slowed down and evaded, even once alerted. It is no longer imperative that every player in the game possess the ability to deal damage.

So why not reduce the spawn chance of weapons and ammo? Make the discovery of a firearm a big deal. I remember the first time I found a Winchester, I was ecstatic! Now I feel that I'm doing badly if all I have is an AKM and 4 mags. When was the last time you put Makarov rounds in your backpack? Why would you? There were 100s of them in every building you could conceivably visit. At the moment I feel hard done by if there are too many Makarov round spawns in a store or church. Bullets a BAD thing in a zombie apocalypse? That feels a bit strange to be honest.

Basically what I'm looking for is a dynamically changing experience. Its great that, when spawning, players need to approach the game differently in order to acquire items and weapons. But why is that the only time a different approach is required? Why don't players go through periods of having weapons and not having weapons, throughout their characters lives?

If you have played the campaign mode, and looked into the history that goes along with Chernarus, you would know why there are so many weapons and ammo.

+1 definitely.

Guns are way too common at the moment and it's only magnified by the lack of starting weapon. I found 2 weapons in the first house (the black one) I checked in my new life about 3mins to the game. Next building (supermarket) had 2 pistols, AKM and enfield. I was constantly stumbling into weapons and it became ridiculous very quickly. When I quit the session later I had literally seen dozens of weapons but not a single item of food and only one can of coke.

Granted, the food/drink spawns are bugged but still, make weapons way rarer.

+1 to Nate. Sick of people going on about the weapons and ammo like that.

Also, this is a mod to ARMA 2, a game which is completely about guns and such. It is undeniable.

If you have played the campaign mode' date=' and looked into the history that goes along with Chernarus, you would know why there are so many weapons and ammo.

[/quote']

The history of a fictitious location? Furthermore, the story of ARMA 2 has nothing to do with DayZ.

Basically, assume that you yourself own no weapons, and that the world has suddenly descended into chaos. How long do you think it would take you to get your hands on a firearm and at least 30 rounds? Would you just find the nearest fire station and get yourself an AK from inside?

YES

great notion exept the crossbow should be everywhere always. Maybe only reduce ammo though or seperate more ammodrops from the weapondrops

No.. Since the AI is so unpredictable there's no way in hell reducing weapon and ammo spawns would make this game playable. It's bad enough that we spawn without a gun making it nearly impossible for someone to avoid a major city.

While I agree with the notion, I feel that there should be a bit further consideration.

I think that yes, weapon spawns should be lower, but not -too- much lower. Yes, I want it to be a big deal when I find a gun, but I want to be able to find one.

What will take this to the extent you're talking about is -ammo-. If ammo is scarce, there won't be a time when we have no gun at all, it'll just be no ammo. Which is just as bad. I should feel that if I want to survive, that I need to drop this m16a2 that I love, which ran out of ammo 30 minutes ago, and pick up this winchester which only has half a round of bullets available. Or drop my Uzi for this Makarov. These are the kinds of decisions that will make the game fun. If there are no guns at all, it'll be frustrating. If there -are- guns, just with next to no ammo. That'll be fun.