Umbra (DayZ)

The melee weapon thread (ideas, loot suggestions etc.)

rifle-butt or pistol-whipping(torch as well' date=' mag lites hurt;))

add a new fire mode to the weapons on the 'F' key, ie: semi>burst>grenade launcher>melee

non lethal, maybe 3 hits in succession cause a full 5 min unconsiousness timeout against players, walking z's get knocked down to monkeys, monkeys go down to crawlers. possibly some 'knockback' so you could escape being cornered in houses with only 1 door etc, not much knockback though.

not sure how or if it could be done without an ammo requirement though. tie it into stamina ideally.

[/quote']

Good idea, added :)

Weapon melee mode:

add a new fire mode to the weapons on the 'F' key, ie: semi>burst>grenade launcher>melee

non lethal, maybe 3 hits in succession cause a full 5 min unconsiousness timeout against players, walking z's get knocked down to monkeys, monkeys go down to crawlers. possibly some 'knockback' so you could escape being cornered in houses with only 1 door etc, not much knockback though.

not sure how or if it could be done without an ammo requirement though. tie it into stamina ideally.

[/quote']

This needs to happen.

I scanned this, I'll reread it later ;)

but I'd love LOVE LOVE!! to see a Kukri in DayZ

How about slingshots , Wrist rockets can fuck shit up with ball bearings . I would love to silent kill a zombie with a slingshot. Or maybe even a tazer would be a sweet weapon to stun bandits and other wannabes trying to get your loot but think stun then and knock em down loot them real quick and take their shit and bounce out without having to kill!!!

a slingshot would be a good stealth weapon, i think it should be mostly non leathal (knocks the target out with a head shot but still deals damage) could be based on ammo types, say ballberings and marbles, ballberings will kill with a headshot while marbles will ko

(marbles do make good slingshot ammo as they are a uniform size and still quite hard)

A sling is an interesting weapon, but i dont see how they would just be lying around somewhere (the lethal ones), tho i would like to focus on melee weapons in this thread and the way i see it a sling is defineatly a ranged weapon.

I was thinking about swords in castles. There is alot of potential of castles being the prime spot of getting good melee gear : maces, flails, morningstar, military picks, polearms, greatswords and such weapons could also be considered, but what of this can be added that would be supported by the engine and we also have to think of it having a negative effect on the balance of melee in general, i am all for variety but lets not make it too overpowered because after all we arent in a medieval combat simulator. As for church loot i realy had no idea what to put in there, metal candle stands seem like the best suggestion so far.

Added more possible castle loot and added church loot

I would say that adding the ability to pull a branch off a tree and combining it with a hunting knife would be a good way to take zombies out and also give you a bit more reach than they have. Include rope or duct tape as a requirement to put it together. These types of spears do work.

A sling is an interesting weapon' date=' but i dont see how they would just be lying around somewhere (the lethal ones), tho i would like to focus on melee weapons in this thread and the way i see it a sling is defineatly a ranged weapon.

[/quote']

slingshots with a metal body folding arm brace and surgicaltubeing elastic are fairly common you can get them at walmart ,

Aye, could be a supermarket loot then, but as i said im trying to focus on melee weapons in this thread :)

[/quote']

This!

What I would also really like would be like Hand-to-hand combat. Just an option that appears when youre behind an other player "wrestle down" The player will lie down and cant move or turn until you move away.

Not imbalanced since usually you would just headshot them anyways.

Hm, grapple moves from behind? Could be an interesting twist for the early game but redundant if players spawn with a basic knife as this thread suggests

I support the idea of knockback for certain weapons. I would also suggest that melee weapons either cause damage or knockback, but never both (or maybe only rarely both). I would think that blade weapons would not have a knockback, as they would tend to get stuck in their targets.

I also support the idea of durability, with the ability to repair (possibly limit number of times that it could be repaired)

i am sure this has been said but ill say my 2 cents. some more "non-leathal" weapons be nice, a few bats, saps and rubber bullets be nice to inflict non lethal damage that render people unconscious. That and just being able to punch people in the face be nice.

Melee weapons should be accessible like flares/chem lights/smoke grenades. I shouldn't have to drop a primary weapon to equip a hatchet.

I"m not sure why you would suggest that melee weapons be weak. This game already acts like in life where range superiority wins out most of the time. Be it zombies or other players, melee is always at a disadvantage vs range.

The only saving grace is that with a solid melee hit from an AX or a sword, it should be 1-2 hit kill and maybe a % of crippling/breaking bone. Now a smaller weapon should take more hits to kill ( but could add more utility from them like the current hunting knife use for skinning and killing or the ax use for wood/killing zombies).

Well i suggested them to be weak so we dont se players running around with melee weapons mass killing zombies, it removes the scare factor from the game. Why would you fear zombies when you can just slaughter them. Thats why i suggested the dmg to be weak, ofcourse if melee weapons should have a bigger purpose in pvp the dmg could always be ajusted when hitting other players

My name is RIGHTLY and I approve this suggestion.