What kind of gamer are you?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Your general style

• Prefer PC
    • Prefer Console
    • Prefer both but lean towards PC
    • Prefer both but lean towards Console
  2. 2. PC Experience?

• Have always played PC games, Day Z comes naturally to me.
    • New to PC gaming, more specifically for my interest in Day Z.
    • I've played a few PC Games.

I got to thinking a little, and my curiosity has obviously led to this post and poll. I know there is generally a few types of gamers out there. Console gamers and PC/Mac Gamers. When it comes to large persistant worlds and multiplayer consoles tend to fall short and offer very little. (GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption both had open world and multiplayer but in a very lame way, as examples) Now this is not a debate on which system you like better, but just trying to get some insight on the audience of Day Z.

For myself, I have always favored console games but I realize that there are some games (particularly some MMOs) you can only really get on a PC. Nothing beats having a controller in my hand for gaming, and this is my first KB+M shooter experience. I've played Rainbow Six Rogue Spear in the past for the PC, but I was so terrible at it that it doesn't even count.

So I'll try to generalize some groups and you're welcome to give me some insight for the Poll.

I know I am probably not the only one out there who is primarily a console gamer but am playing Day Z because it offers an experience I can't really get on a console at this time.

Thanks!

Lets hope the poll thing works.. First timer.

Edited by Dreygar
  • Like 2

PC or Mac,,, you cannot put them into the one basket, you will set the internet on fire man !!!

edit. see..look above , it has begun, i'm off to the bunker.

Edited by Hetstaine
  • Like 3

I have a great gaming pc, a nintendo 3ds and an xbox 360. I am getting a PS3 next week(late I know, but I need to play MGS4. XD). I prefer most of my games to be on pc but I dont mind playing anything on console. I play some games on my pc with my xbox controller such as DMC, PoP, etc as they handle better with a controller. Mainly have them for exclusives or if I have friends over.

I will be getting both PS4 and new Xbox aswell.

I'm aware that the majority here will be from PC/MAC gamers, as it should be considering the platform we are on. Though I'm more interested in seeing what the breakdown will be like. I think a game like Day Z has the potential to draw a crowd from any platform because it's not the same ole linear BS shoved down your throat.

• Like 2

Well, I used to be just a Console gamer, then I decided that most the games I like are on PC.

Fair enough, to be quite honest my console has collected some serious dust. Partially due to my overall boredom with games in general, and then I picked up Eve Online for a little bit (till again bored) and then picked up Day Z again. Sometimes I even load up the Arma Armory and enjoy that too. I suspect come March when GTA 5 comes out then I won't be playing computer games till I burn myself out with that. :P

DayZ has opened my eyes more to PC gaming.. Haven't been console gaming as much as I had been.

I highly prefer PC's because if you have a good gaming PC with three monitors you're gonna have a better gaming experiance and they do other things aswell. I have an Xbox though because I have some games that are exclusive or just better on it; Darkness II, Fifa 13 and Mirrors Edge are some games I have been recently playing. Darkness II being my favourite game of all time :).

Considering that you posted this on a PC game's forums, I'm going to say most are gunna be obvious.

PC or GTFO. I have a PS2 and a load of PSX/PS2 games that I whip out a few times a year for the lulz though. :)

Considering that you posted this on a PC game's forums, I'm going to say most are gunna be obvious.

It's not a competition or anything.

Never got into console gaming and never got really comfortable with controllers.

When I see traces of console ports in pc games, it always seems to detract from the gameplay rather than add to it. I bought Mafia II, because I loved the original Mafia for PC, but it really lacked the dept, physics and size of the much older original. It felt cheaper, arcade and designed for a completely different audience.

Technically consoles are just PCs in disguises, but worse. And you're either a pc gamer or a console gamer or a mac "gamer" that calls themselves a pc gamer. Honestly though, there are programs to make your controller work for pc, but it's usually hard because there are so many controls you have to adapt.

Not the best designed poll options, but w/e.

So I'll try to generalize some groups and you're welcome to give me some insight for the Poll.

As quoted, I am open for your opinions. Though in general the poll was to serve no other purpose than my curiosity. I was hoping to see more non-PC gamers who came to PC for Day Z specifically. Probably more than two out there, but they hadn't voted. You see all the time. "What do I need to play this game?" , "Will this run this game?" etc... Obviously from non-PC gamers.

Technically consoles are just PCs in disguises, but worse. And you're either a pc gamer or a console gamer or a mac "gamer" that calls themselves a pc gamer. Honestly though, there are programs to make your controller work for pc, but it's usually hard because there are so many controls you have to adapt.

Well, technology is technology but consoles are a slightly different breed in that they are designed to function one way. PC's are more open ended and have multiple uses. For instance, I have an Xbox for Windows controller (It's an Xbox controller with an USB Adapter that lets you hook it to your computer instead) ... but PC games are not designed and therefore not optimized to use a controller. Controllers do have enough keys... I don't understand that train of thought. Where as PC has some pretty designated keys for certain things... A controller will change the function of the keys depending what you are doing. Right trigger might mean fire your weapon, but when you get in a vehicle right trigger now controls your gas pedal. On a keyboard, you probably have two keys to do those functions. (Left mouse/Up arrow.) A controller just utilizes what it has with less keys.

But anyway, off topic... This isn't a Console vs PC war, or why you think one or the other is better. It is just to see the demographic of gamers who play Day Z and their preference in gaming.

Day Z might come as a challenge for someone not familiar to PC gaming, and it requires a large learning curve. Someone who is familiar with Arma has obviously no problem adapting to the slight change that Day Z makes.

Edited by Dreygar

Why Day Z?

It's the only game that actually allow me to be a sniper (kill only selected targets and win, like a bandit that cleared supermarket to get his food and water) instead of a marksman (kill everything that moves like in CoD or Battlefield).

Why Day Z?

It's the only game that actually allow me to be a sniper (kill only selected targets and win, like a bandit that cleared supermarket to get his food and water) instead of a marksman (kill everything that moves like in CoD or Battlefield).

I realized the "Why Day Z" Part didn't really fit for a title... I just threw something in there to give a secondary function to the poll. Just updated it infact to reflect it better.

I am a PC gamer and I will never switch to consoles. PC Games are (just in my opinion) way better than any console titel.

(btw. I play on a PC NOT on a Mac ^^)

Games like ArmA2 (FPS in general), MMOs and RTS are not playable on consoles. This are my fav kind of games. So I stick to my lovely gaming rig! (I only use consoles if I have a desk which is not standing perfeclty balanced - console under one desk foot and then it is fine / Or I use it as a door stopper, especially the design of the XBox is great for this purpose. For balcony doors I would suggest a PS3.)

I play on PC because it has better games (DayZ)

BUT, I've had this PC only for a three years now. Before that, we had a shitty 10 year old PC which couldn't run anything.

So basically, we have owned only 2 PC's. Pretty good, huh?

I've always used PC's (and the like -> ZX spectrum/msx/commodore)... Gamer from day 1... Though I have to admit, some games are somewhat better suited for a console.. I prefer playing Gran Turismo and Pro EVO soccer on the playstation, but mostly cause I can sit my ass down on a comfy chair in front of the tv... Consoles are imo better suited to play games with more then yourself..

Shooters on consoles (CoD and the likes) are a pile of shite... Nothing beats a keyboard/mouse combo in a fps game!

• Like 1

Been playing games on my HDTV through my PC for years on the couch and see no reason to downgrade my hardware for a box with hardware that is so far out of date and always will be.

• Like 1