DayzOfUs

Will Dayz standalone come to Mac

It's ridiculous to see how many people honestly think Mac's are garbage. With the iPhone and iPad jokes, people seem to think Mac's are low powered toys compared to PC's. The standard OS of a Mac, OSX, is easier to use than Windows, and coming from a person who's first computer was a PC, I wouldn't go back. I remember when I used to trash talk Mac's, then I bought one. Now I don't. It can't play some video games simply because the engine doesn't support it, not because it doesn't have the power to run it. So to all of you people who think that Mac's are trash, go buy one. Then come back and tell us which is the better all around computer.

my mac has a 3rd gen I7 intel processor, 32 gb of memory, and has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics card. it pumps out 3.4 GHz and 3.9 on turbo. i dont know why people talk shit about these computers. i think the first thing that comes to peoples mind are the macbooks and think that they have low power and bad graphics and with the later models that may be true. my mac runs dayz and battlefield 3 on very high all day long using bootcamp. i dont know why people cant accept that these computers are just as fast as your franken computers that u built for half the price

Edited by Rhinebeck

my mac has a 3rd gen I7 intel processor, 32 gb of memory, and has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics card. it pumps out 3.4 GHz and 3.9 on turbo. i dont know why people talk shit about these computers. i think the first thing that comes to peoples mind are the macbooks and think that they have low power and bad graphics and with the later models that may be true. my mac runs dayz and battlefield 3 on very high all day long using bootcamp. i dont know why people cant accept that these computers are just as fast as your franken computers that u built for half the price

They are nice computers, I'll give that to them. Very good build quality, excellent reliability, and a smooth operating system.

The problem is, they don't offer anything over PC's to justify the outrageous price. After you listed you specs, I was curious to see how much that thing cost, knowing it was gonna be a lot. So I went on their website and configured a 27" iMac to your specs. You didn't list your Hard Drive, so I left that default, but after putting in the i7, 32GB RAM, and the 680MX, the total is at $2949.

One thing to note is the graphics card. Don't call it a GTX 680, because it's not. It's a 680MX. HUGE difference. Since it's an all in one, they have to use a mobile GPU, resulting in significantly less performance. The 680MX is closer to a GTX 580, not the GTX 680. The 580 is still good, but nowhere near a 680.

Also, 32GB RAM? I don't see that as necessary, but you might use it, I don't know. The bad thing about it though is the price. To move from 8GB to 16 they charge an extra $200. Are you serious? Do you know how much it would cost me to buy 2 4GB sticks of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM? $50 or less. That's a $150 markup. For 32GB it's an extra $600 over the $8GB. I've seen 32GB 1600mhz around $200.

That processor can't be overclocked either, since it's not unlocked and doesn't have a custom heatsink installed. Not a huge deal, but since OC means free extra performance, that means you are missing out.

Here is an equivalent/better Windows PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($95 @ Microcenter)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($204.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Monitor: AURIA EQ276W 27" 2560*1440 IPS LED Monitor ($400 @ Microcenter)

Total: $1551

Half the price, and it matches the Mac in everything, beating in in many areas. The processor in this one is a bit faster and can be overclocked up to around 4.4GHz with that CPU cooler. The GPU is probably slightly faster or about equal, but will do better at higher resolutions due to more VRAM. The RAM and Hard Drive are the same, and the Monitor has the same resolution as well.

I understand that they need to make money, but $1500 markup is too much IMO.

However, if you choose and enjoy using a Mac, that's your choice. So for now Dayz can be played in Bootcamp if you've got the hardware(and money for that kind of Mac!) and possibly will be made for Mac OS one day.

Also, I do own an iPad, so I don't completely boycott apple.

• Like 3

It's ridiculous to see how many people honestly think Mac's are garbage. With the iPhone and iPad jokes, people seem to think Mac's are low powered toys compared to PC's. The standard OS of a Mac, OSX, is easier to use than Windows, and coming from a person who's first computer was a PC, I wouldn't go back. I remember when I used to trash talk Mac's, then I bought one. Now I don't. It can't play some video games simply because the engine doesn't support it, not because it doesn't have the power to run it. So to all of you people who think that Mac's are trash, go buy one. Then come back and tell us which is the better all around computer.

I personally don't think Macs are garbage, they're actually very visually appealing computers. But that's the thing. If you name something you can do on a Mac, you can do it on a PC or something equivalent to that program or task on PC without a Mac operating system. In terms of Mac being the all-around computer, Mac is only in contention for a simple, everyday user, anywhere from watching videos to sending emails, but that's really it. In order to do more demanding things, you need to get complicated with Macs. Now I'm not saying I can't do complicated things on a Mac, nor am I saying I can't do simple things on a PC, but for a more involved user, PCs are built to do more complicated things. Again, I'm not saying Macs are bad, but for the price they charge for what I want to do... that won't work. I can do the same things on a PC, save money by not having to bootcamp, and spend half the money.

Yes, well the thing is, you could have gotten the same specs on a Pc for half the price. And why buy a mac and then just say you can bootcamp? Just buy a PC directly and skip bootcamping and buying another operating system. And yea, we accept completely that macs can run games just as fast, but you also just admitted we can do it for half the price. Why would we pay double the price for the same performance?

• Like 1

They are nice computers, I'll give that to them. Very good build quality, excellent reliability, and a smooth operating system.

The problem is, they don't offer anything over PC's to justify the outrageous price. After you listed you specs, I was curious to see how much that thing cost, knowing it was gonna be a lot. So I went on their website and configured a 27" iMac to your specs. You didn't list your Hard Drive, so I left that default, but after putting in the i7, 32GB RAM, and the 680MX, the total is at $2949.

One thing to note is the graphics card. Don't call it a GTX 680, because it's not. It's a 680MX. HUGE difference. Since it's an all in one, they have to use a mobile GPU, resulting in significantly less performance. The 680MX is closer to a GTX 580, not the GTX 680. The 580 is still good, but nowhere near a 680.

Also, 32GB RAM? I don't see that as necessary, but you might use it, I don't know. The bad thing about it though is the price. To move from 8GB to 16 they charge an extra $200. Are you serious? Do you know how much it would cost me to buy 2 4GB sticks of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM? $50 or less. That's a $150 markup. For 32GB it's an extra $600 over the $8GB. I've seen 32GB 1600mhz around $200.

That processor can't be overclocked either, since it's not unlocked and doesn't have a custom heatsink installed. Not a huge deal, but since OC means free extra performance, that means you are missing out.

Here is an equivalent/better Windows PC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($95 @ Microcenter)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($204.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)

Monitor: AURIA EQ276W 27" 2560*1440 IPS LED Monitor ($400 @ Microcenter)

Total: $1551

Half the price, and it matches the Mac in everything, beating in in many areas. The processor in this one is a bit faster and can be overclocked up to around 4.4GHz with that CPU cooler. The GPU is probably slightly faster or about equal, but will do better at higher resolutions due to more VRAM. The RAM and Hard Drive are the same, and the Monitor has the same resolution as well.

I understand that they need to make money, but $1500 markup is too much IMO.

However, if you choose and enjoy using a Mac, that's your choice. So for now Dayz can be played in Bootcamp if you've got the hardware(and money for that kind of Mac!) and possibly will be made for Mac OS one day.

Also, I do own an iPad, so I don't completely boycott apple.

I personally don't think Macs are garbage, they're actually very visually appealing computers. But that's the thing. If you name something you can do on a Mac, you can do it on a PC or something equivalent to that program or task on PC without a Mac operating system. In terms of Mac being the all-around computer, Mac is only in contention for a simple, everyday user, anywhere from watching videos to sending emails, but that's really it. In order to do more demanding things, you need to get complicated with Macs. Now I'm not saying I can't do complicated things on a Mac, nor am I saying I can't do simple things on a PC, but for a more involved user, PCs are built to do more complicated things. Again, I'm not saying Macs are bad, but for the price they charge for what I want to do... that won't work. I can do the same things on a PC, save money by not having to bootcamp, and spend half the money.

Yes, well the thing is, you could have gotten the same specs on a Pc for half the price. And why buy a mac and then just say you can bootcamp? Just buy a PC directly and skip bootcamping and buying another operating system. And yea, we accept completely that macs can run games just as fast, but you also just admitted we can do it for half the price. Why would we pay double the price for the same performance?

Well said guys :) .

Even though PCs are more work it is satisfying in the end when you build one.

I am a Mac user and had hobbled together a freakishly bad wintel PC to try to play Dayz. After a frustrating week of horrible game play, I came across a post about using BootCamp to install windows on my iMac. I was a bit nervous about it, but decided to give it a shot.

I have never had a better gaming PC than my iMac dual booting into windows. My iMac runs Windows 7 x64 incredibly fast and way better than I would have ever thought. BootCamp is part of the MAC natively. If you really want to give Dayz a try, look into dual booting your mac using BootCamp.

have any of you considered that maybe people buy macs for other reasons than just gaming

Or people like me who got issued a MacBook Pro by my employer and just tried to see if it would run DayZ. Entirely playable at Medium settings.

I am a Mac user and had hobbled together a freakishly bad wintel PC to try to play Dayz. After a frustrating week of horrible game play, I came across a post about using BootCamp to install windows on my iMac. I was a bit nervous about it, but decided to give it a shot.

I have never had a better gaming PC than my iMac dual booting into windows. My iMac runs Windows 7 x64 incredibly fast and way better than I would have ever thought. BootCamp is part of the MAC natively. If you really want to give Dayz a try, look into dual booting your mac using BootCamp.

if you have the money for a little peace of mind than yes but a bad 'wintel' pc is your fault alone spend enough money buying a pc you can get more out of it than a prebuilt mac.

peace of mind, prettiness and simplicity of a mac don't beat raw quality of a pc.

Edited by The ammo guy

Just two words boys and girls: "Ridiculously" and "Overpriced".

• Like 1

Just two words boys and girls: "Ridiculously" and "Overpriced".

end of story. nothing else but those two words.

• Like 2

Do we really need another mac vs PC discussion on the Internet? Ehhh no! If the standalone can run on macs all the better so more people can enjoy the game, infact I hope it does work on it. And guess what I play on a pc :o that wasn't so hard was it? So has anyone got dayz mod running on mac without boot camp? Just curious :)

Do we really need another mac vs PC discussion on the Internet? Ehhh no! If the standalone can run on macs all the better so more people can enjoy the game, infact I hope it does work on it. And guess what I play on a pc :o that wasn't so hard was it? So has anyone got dayz mod running on mac without boot camp? Just curious :)

good question.

So many clueless people it's hilarious.

I did fire DayZ up once on my mid-2011 MBP using VMware Fusion running Win 7 as a VM, but having less system resources unsurprisingly made the experience less than stellar.

The experience might be very different on a fully loaded Mac Pro fitted with an HD7950...

Who buys a mac for gaming, anyway?

Be a real man (or woman) and buy a gaming computer.

Just because it has gaming in the title doesn't mean it can't do other stuff.

Oh yeah defo! and iphone :P

Hehe made my day :thumbsup:

Lets get one thing straight, PC is for gaming Mac is for work.

No one with a right mind buy a mac for gaming cmon get real.

Dont get me wrong, i love my mac book pro for work, photo, video editing etc, but for gaming naaa

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with either Mac or Windows... I have a iMac, purely because they are better for more high end graphic designing and are generally more appealing to the eye, whereas I find a PC not so nice.

HOWEVER, don't worry. I have a PC too!

I will openly admit that there is possibly no good reason why the iMacs are so overpriced, considering like someone mentioned earlier, you can build your own one that is equal/slightly better for half the cost. But the main reason I bought my iMac was because of the smooth feel and finish it had to it, as well as the really easy to use OS.

I used to speak ill of Macs like some people have said on here before, but until I got on one and tried it, I found that Macs are really quite amazing.

I WAS BOUGHT UP A PC USER, so I know a lot about building my own PC and hardware etc... Building your own PC is more effect, efficient and cost much much less.

Anyway, I still think OS X is better for what I do, but obviously it will vary for what people will be using them for:)

Edited by azerbijon123

I would bet that with my mac laptop boot camped to play Dayz played on max settings with great FPS is at least 2x what you have.

Screenshot with FPS counter, then we'll take that statement seriously. Given how there is a vast majority of PC gamers who build their own PC's optimised for games on the highest settings possible, the odds would be stacked against you on such a bet.

Plus, the main flaw is exactly what you have said. Bootcamped. Its not designed for Mac, not optimised as effectively as it would be for Windows, and it will most likely IMO not be developed for Mac, as majority of the community who play DayZ/ArmA II use Windows.

• Like 1

maybe you bitch about mac sucking at gaming because you can't afford it. It doesn't matter if yours cost half as mine and runs twice as well because honestly people don't buy macs to game they buy them for school, or work or some of the sort with some gaming in between.

Tell that to my $3000 rig. And no I'm not talking a $3000 computer that I bought at the store I'm talking $3000 in the actual parts that I ordered online. I never understood the idea of having a mac for school. What does mac offer for "school" that windows does not? I am genuinely curious because I have literally no experience on a mac whatsoever. All I know is the price:hardware ratio is ridiculous.

I'd much rather pick each part myself and get really good price to performance than having something pre-built (Both Mac/Windows) and not having a lot of control over it.

And just to say, my gaming rig costs the same as MacBook. My full size tower with high end parts costs the same as a paper thin laptop. So.. Yeah.

I have PC for gaming and macbook pro for work and love both equally.

But if more developers start making games for OSX ill buy that Mac desktop in an instant. The thought of having everything in a monitor without a bunch of cables and a case undearneath my table is a reason enough. Until then PC remains for games.

I have a mac that can run DayZ Standalone. I Use bootcamp to run windows so I can run DayZ. It's unfortunate that it isn't out for mac. However, on my old mac computer, i got low fps on very low settings. ON my new mac computer, i can run arma 2 oa on high-very high settings. I may adjust though. However, my graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 650M. I think thats the highest one available on a mac laptop. Basically, the other mac laptops may not have the best software to run it. I mean, give it a try, you never know.

• Like 1