Sign in to follow this  
Beer_Grylls

The ghost of the Old Hospital

I've been lurking primarily around the Old Hospital on a particular Namalsk server for about two weeks now, subsisting off the gear of slain survivors and gear/food from the supermarket/school. In the process of protecting my territory from all comers, I've made a number of regular enemies on this server.

Last night I had one of the most exciting, awesome encounters with said enemies, particularly two guys who always run as a two man team. I've managed to kill them both a number of times, making me their #1 target whenever they're online. Last night after a server reset, they headed over to A2, geared up, and came my way looking for revenge. While they came over to the OH, I was off looking for a new gun at the dam, but eventually made my way back to home base to resupply on food. I expected they might be waiting for me, but didn't expect exactly what they had planned.

As I cut between the trees on the open approach to the OH, I should have been tipped off by some kind of distant explosion (I still don't know what exactly this was) over near the school. Moving out of cover to investigate/get a closer look from about 500m out, I was immediately struck by a sniper's bullet, breaking my legs, bleeding massively, and unconscious for a LONG time. Horrified, pissed, cursing myself for breaking cover so stupidly, I thought for sure I was going to bleed out and die. Counting down the seconds until I came to, I managed to not completely bleed out, gain consciousness, quickly bandage myself, and pop a morphine to fix my legs.

Now the shit really started getting crazy as I ran, vision completely black and white, passing out twice, while light machine gun fire and sniper rounds pinged constantly around me while I made my way back to the cover of the trees and the sloped hillside. I managed to backtrack to around 800-900m, adrenaline going, hands shaking, freaking out with happiness that I was alive to extract bloody vengeance on these fuckers who should have had me dead to rights but couldn't finish the job properly.

In cover, I rapidly ate all the food in my pack to try and get my vision and blood level back to normal, but I was still hurting badly. Then I saw it. In the distance about 200m off, was A COW. I scoped him up with my AK-74 PSO, blasted, gutted, cooked, and ate 6 meats, now ready to make a move on my attackers. Moving low along the coastline, below the line of sight of the hospital, I flanked all the way around the OH to the elevated hillside behind it.

In cover, I scoped out the rooftops of the OH complex, surprised/elated that these two idiots hadn't shifted posiition at all and were still posted up on two rooftops overlooking the open area where I was originally shot. I judged the distance and compensated my aim for my first shot at one of them laying prone with an MK48 Mod 0, then popped off two shots right at his head. The first shot went just a hair high, but the second clipped him right in the brain pan, instantly killing him. I then immediately shifted to the sniper who was partially concealed behind an air conditioning unit. I managed to clip him in the shoulder and leg with several quick shots, but wouldn't you know it, he somehow managed to combat log while injured, denying me my righteous revenge.

I quickly climbed the rooftop and looted the goodies off the dead machine gunner, and trotted off into the woods with some new loot and one of the greatest feelings I've experienced in DayZ so far. I cheated death, protected my territory, and taught two wannabe bandits that the Old Hospital is a dangerous place indeed. They say a ghost watches over it, watching and waiting for anyone who dares take what is not theirs.

• Like 8

Good read, :)

Edited by Guest

good story. videos are not always needed to get a picture of the event

I scoped out the rooftops of the OH complex, surprised/elated that these two idiots hadn't shifted posiition at all...

It just doesn't ring true. You were expecting them to chase after you with a machine-gun and a sniper rifle (at least), but you still had time to shoot and gut a cow, light a fire - at night - cook the meat, and eat it. It's not as if Namalsk has a plethora of cover, either.

I love that word, plethora.

• Like 1

2 spooky 4 me.

I've tried to hold down the OH twice before, which usually ended with me getting killed by a swarm of bambies wielding the rare and all mighty, makarov. I remember holding it for a couple of hours, until three people all with makarov opened fire on me while I was on the roof. For their luck, a shot nailed my head and killed me. Good times.