Drumavatic

DayZ Standalone: Rivers!

I just thought I'd bring this up, don't know if someone else already has. What I'm proposing you guys should do with the standalone is: add at least ONE river to the map, going from the coast to the north. This would add a whole new world of aspects for boating. Also the river would be an easy survivor route north, with perils though of course. I just think this is a thing that the game would really benefit from. A lake running from like Kamyshovo to.... say.... Gorka?

• Like 6

not only! several small ditches with tiny crossovers as well..near fields, nearby roads etc.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Agree this would be the best ever. We also need some small ditches with tiny crossovers like the guy above said. That would make the map complete. And a few more big city's. With big buildings where you can go to the top.

I just thought I'd bring this up, don't know if someone else already has. What I'm proposing you guys should do with the standalone is: add at least ONE river to the map, going from the coast to the north. This would add a whole new world of aspects for boating. Also the river would be an easy survivor route north, with perils though of course. I just think this is a thing that the game would really benefit from. A lake running from like Kamyshovo to.... say.... Gorka?

I have suggested that one before and got this answer

A: I would not rule it out as eventually having, we have discussed it before but it is a major rewrite of both code and the map. Not for the initial release, but maybe something to be looked at in the future as it is a big part of survival (finding creeks etc...).

PS.: I think they ment to include rivers and such, but for some reason they didn't. I mean there a many bridges that cross over nothing, but a small ditch (which could be a placeholder for a river)

Edited by UmBe

there are a bunch of threads about adding rivers.

i would love to see them!

and of course drink from them

There should be random puddles too that make your character groan when he steps in them. There is nothing more annoying then being on a long walk and then having your foot get soaked by landing in a deep puddle.

Ah, my favorite topic! Rivers!

Can anyone share more info on why this isn't possible with the current map? I am eager to know why.

I understand the issue revolves around elevation change and how the engine generates/manages(?) water.

I have this feeling there's some solution to this somewhere.

What if the river meanders in a big way, a highly circuitous path, so that it avoids all intense elevation changes?

Ah, my favorite topic! Rivers!

Can anyone share more info on why this isn't possible with the current map? I am eager to know why.

I understand the issue revolves around elevation change and how the engine generates/manages(?) water.

I have this feeling there's some solution to this somewhere.

What if the river meanders in a big way, a highly circuitous path, so that it avoids all intense elevation changes?

i beleive they try to base map off a real place.

and there just simply wasn't any rivers.

i could be wrong.

for a river to be present there are a lot of factors.

The sea around Chernarus is a river IRL.

There are dry riverbeds in the map, but there's no water. Only lakes where the rivers are dammed.

As far as I know, the lakes are possible because they're added as seperate objects on the map.

It'd be nice to have rivers in DayZ, but if it's an engine limitation I don't expect any miracles. I don't remember seeing running water in any ArmA map I've played.

I'd be fine with just small creek beds in the forests every now and then.

It's usually the little details that make a huge difference. :)

As far as I know, rivers can`t work because water can`t change in elevation with this engine. The lakes and ponds in the map are separate entities. I guess if you found a very flat stretch of land, you could try running a river through it, but I`m afraid you`re pretty much out of luck.

Quoted from a different thread on the same page haha. I'm not one to lecture on the search button, but at least scroll down a few times.

Edited by Sheepdog

Rivers have already been ruled out due to technical limitations of the map/engine. So sadly no rivers.

The cool thing about the map linked above would be that the bridges now will actually become important chokepoints for getting to other areas. People could camp there, you would really have to be careful when crossing one.

It would be nice to see the river, which runs from Pobeda dam, connecting together several lakes along the way and ends up in the swamp or elsewhere on the coast.

Several small streams that flows from small lakes into the river.

Or the source of the stream that starts somewhere in the mountains and flows into the river.

Several large and small bridges over the river.

Also it would be great that when it rains the water level in the river is rising, and it is impossible to swim cross the river because the water flow in the river is too fast, but when the level is normal it is possible to swim, and also in some places it would be possible to cross the river with some vehicles (military offroad, UAZ)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/132499-rivers/#entry1286914

Edited by latz