Sign in to follow this  
SpydersByte

v1.7.1 has honestly ruined it.

I'll try to make this sound the least whiney I can. This newest patch has completely ruined this game for me. I can't possibly imagine what it's like for new players now.

Starting without a weapon is just plain moronic. Not only does it put you at a disadvantage against Zombies, but more importantly you are now defenseless against other players (99 out of 100 of whom are "bandits"). Not only that, but no food or water? Insanity. Especially with how oddly rare food is. As others have said, it's pretty much impossible now to leave one of the main towns.

As far as I've heard, some of the changes that are being made (or being refused) are for the sake of 'realism'. That's fine, but when it saps all possible fun from the game, it's not in the best interest of anyone. If you intend to survive a zombie apocalypse, are you going to go into it with nothing at all? Hell, if this happened tomorrow I myself would be more prepared than the characters we are playing. This isn't realism unless we are intended to play as homeless men caught up in this situation. Scratch that, even a homeless man would be more prepared than our characters.

The other problem with the current changes is that you are doing nothing but forcing people to exploit what they can to get some decent gear. Before this patch, it was completely possible to make your way through towns and out into the woods and have a truly fun and challenging experience, it was always different. I can tell you what happens now for me and my friends who play: Respawn countless times to get to Cherno. Run to the hospital carrying a train of zombies, grab bloodbags and supplies, run to Stary Sobor carrying a train of zombies, load up on military weapons, drag the zombies into the large barn, take care of them.

Does this sound like the way you wanted the game to be played? Before this patch the game carried weight. It was one of the few to actually get my heart racing. I loved sneaking around the zombies, learning to judge other players behavior and find out whether I should trust them or not, and search for the good loot while heading out into the unknown. Now, none of those mechanics work. The Zombies are nothing but a bother when you're just racing to your next destination. The players are now ALL bandits. The search for good loot is now a set two-step routine. It has honestly ruined everything about the game, and that is not an exaggeration.

I'd also like to point out that the framerate has been unplayable for some reason since the patch. I was running at 50-60 FPS on a 580 GTX SC and I'm now running at about 7 FPS. That's unplayable.

The game was in a good place as far as the core mechanics go before this patch. It needed polish in the animation and AI departments, but that was it. I'm positive that you will lose many players if you intend to go down this "punishing experience" road. Remember that in the end it is a game, the difficulty is part of the fun, but when it's ramped up too high, it overcomes the fun and that kills any meaning behind it.

Here's hoping you seriously rethink what you've changed.

rocket fanboy hate storm in 5....

Haha, that's fine with me. The only purpose of the post is to inform Rocket himself of my thoughts on the patch, not to get anyone behind me, that would only be a bonus.

I'm a big boy I can take a flame. :D

So many posts, so many tears.

I have only had good experiences with the new patch. People are much more willing to team up now that there is no threat of getting your head shot off when you see other survivors on the beach.

Avoid the cities for crying out loud. I mean, it's so bloody obvious that people with guns will be there. Find a weapon in deer stands or cities further to the north.

Play the game as you would were you really the survivor of an apocalypse and avoid all people you don't know. Watch "The Road" and you'll understand why strangers = danger.

EDIT: The FPS lag can be caused by a crappy server. ArmA2 servers will sometime transfer their FPS lag to the clients for some reason. Try other servers, you're bound to find someone that doesn't lag.

I actually agree with the starter gear madness

Before the update you could easily survive the first day or two while heading north into the woods, away from the coast city anarchy

Now you are basically forced to enter one of the coast warzones, preferably by hitting Respawn as many times as it takes you to spawn close to Cherno/Elektro/Balota, just to get supplies that will take you through the day and eventually into the woods

I've found that with the latest patch its more a challenge at the start of the game because you start with nothing. i've also found that more people are teaming up and there is less killing. Also the chance to escape zombies has been something ive wanted to see for a while now.

If anything its made the game better, but also harder/easier at the same time, and the lack of food/water is due to the new 1.7.1.1 patch i believe.

SpydersByte - +500

Changes are awful

Tactics has NOT be important

The charge of an ammunition is more than finds

Interest has almost disappeared...

it hasn't ruind it. You're just a lazy player who wants their hand held. All the things people are saying others are doing (camping the beach with a sniper rifle, 90% of people = bandits, etc) are simply NOT true. Everyone i've run into on the beaches unarmed and armed have teamed up with me to survive.

1. The mod is focused on realism and I doubt people store 5 pistols in their houses.

2. Try to lose the zombies for once.

3. Zombies aren't supposed to be your friend are they? Of course they will bother you because they want your brains.

The only thing I haven't liked about the patch (from what I can gather) is that people ends up in debug forest/desert, and you only have one bandage. Two would suffice.

If you don't like the mod then no one's forcing you to stay.

Edit: Oh and yeah, no one's camping the beach with a sniper, especially if you're able to get to the Cherno hospital with ease.

I liked the patch, it's perfect.

I spawned in yesterday at NW Airfield with my silenced M4, Coyote Pack, 11 mags, GPS, the works. Got pwned 'cause I wasn't expecting zombies to be a challenge.

Back to the coast, die the first couple tries then I just work out how not to suck and out smart them. Use stealth, distractions etc. In the matter of a couple hours I'm fully armed, M16, Alice pack, Map, Compass, binos, blood bags, food, canteens, etc.

Just think smart and don't play like a moron.

I actually love it, all the scrubs rage quit and cry and people like me reap the benefits. Everything's easy pickings now with so many defenceless players.