officervyktar@gmail.com

Flashlights and Running

Here's a situation we've probably all been in once before. You've just entered a server and its nighttime, so you pull out your flashlight, or weapon with a flashlight attached, and you start your slow trek forward. Suddenly, you see a zombie running full sanic at you, leaving you with no other choice then to RUN. Sadly this now means you have NO FUCKING CLUE where your going, because your light source is being swung around like a two foot long rubber horse cock. Basically, you've been rendered blind, You can't see in front of you, or the zombie that's chasing you. This scenario, along with many others, makes flashlight is pretty much pointless equipment. It's better to just turn your brightness settings up, or just use flares and chemlights.

Now, Maybe your thinking, "You shouldn't have startled that zombie in the place L2P Nooblord!!1!"

Well that's you're opinion, but I think this is a problem, and I'm hoping at least a few of you reading this do too. The way i would like to fix it is (in theory) simple. I propose creating a new/unique animation when you have a flashlight equipped, to allow you to use it effectively while both walking and running. Something similar to say this;

woahu.jpg

I'm not saying that you should be able to duel wield, just Alan's general stance is what I'm trying to get at. You'd hold the flashlight to your side whist walking and standing still, and when you start running, I'd get a little shaky but you could still see whats in front of you, this would also obscure your view less then underslug flashlights on most weapons. This would allow to not only make the flashlight usable in the situation mentioned earlier for both escape and running, But it would also help newer players as well. Why? Currently, the way you hold a flashlight when your running/walking is the same one for when you are using a sidearm. New players could easily mistake this for the same stance as holding a sidearm, even though there's no way the play is hostile. This would in turn prevent accidental killings. Thought that doesn't in any way prevent a Bandit from killing you, because they do as they please, killing bitches, eating beans all day, EVERY DAY.

But hey, if you guys don't like that idea, then maybe it would good a good idea to add an item that allows you to wear a flashlight on the side of you're shoulder like this guy.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg353/scaled.php?server=353&filename=dsc0291gz4.jpg&res=landing

Maybe you could stick it too the survivors chest as an equip able item.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-igrhn1wzwAM/TvJv0UR9KiI/AAAAAAAAAkg/20sKY-sPmHw/s1600/Picture%252520276_0057.jpg

Hell you could even stick it on the top of your head, that way where ever you look, you can see.

http://www.magiclight.co.za/MJ808Camelbakstrap.JPG

But these, just like my more detailed approach to it above, are all just possibilities and suggestions.

So in summary, I think it would not only be a good idea, but a great addition in terms of gameplay, If the flashlight were to use a separate and unique animation from the sidearm animation. It may be ALOT more work then I'm thinking it is, heck, I don't even know if its possible because of an engine limitation. But if anything, I'd really like people to take it into consideration, (even you rocket) and conclude if this is something truly worth adding to the game.

They've just re-used the unarmed running animation for the sidearm running animation.

Adjusting the animation so the right arm doesn't swing like a spastic wouldn't be that hard but it would look strange when a player is genuinely unarmed.

Sadly this now means you have NO FUCKING CLUE where you're going' date=' because your light source is being swung around like a [b']two foot long rubber horse cock.

6843642477_9ff5cebeab.jpg :D

I realise it'd be a hard thing to do but with the newfound focus on flashlights for new players its defintely needed.

Maybe when holding a flashlight you sprint slower because you can't get into the full motion while holding it in front? You'd move fast enough to outrun a zombie, but slower.

If you can't hold a fleshlight steady while running you need to learn how to balance.

Not to mention it acts like a beacon becase it lights up everthing 50 feet up and down as you run.

I've learned a lot about flashlights by watching other new spawners run with them.

When you run with them, you swing the flashlight everywhere like a spaz, essentially turning yourself into a flickering beacon.

When you crouch-run with them, you aim the flashlight at your feet, which drastically reduces your visibility to players...

When crawling, well, it's pretty much exactly as it looks in first person. You just whip it all over the place when you move.

My biggest issue with having to swap between flash light and weapon is that it's almost impossible to get a reliable bead on a zombie if you have to-- you can either point your flash light, or point your gun-- when pointing the gun, you usually can't even see your sight picture against the background.

However-- once you find chemlights/flares, this all changes. With them, you can actually pop a light source and you are back to regular local visibility.

My biggest take away here is that I would prefer chemlights over the flashlight... and wouldn't say "no" to starting with both.

But-- I can make do with the current configuration.

Have you ever tried running with a flashlight at night?

Yes.

A big difference, though, is that in real life, flashlights cast a good deal of diffuse lighting besides the spot cone... in the game, the light is very stark, so you don't get the benefit of a little reflected ambient lighting.

Also, most people can stabilize a flashlight with their wrists while running...

stop bitching, if you were running for your life from a horde of flesh eating monsters, youd swing your flashlight too...

just make nights realisticly bright and we wont have this problem

stop bitching' date=' if you were running for your life from a horde of flesh eating monsters, youd swing your flashlight too...

just make nights realisticly bright and we wont have this problem

[/quote']

What about those times when I'm not running for my life, but just double timing from point A to point B? Do I have to do it like a pants wetting spaz?