sobieski12

DayZ at "149 FPS"

I guess I should feel good about my PC. My main machine is a Dell XPS 15z. I usually pull ~40-50 in Cherno/Elektro on a good day on medium settings.

Specs are:

Core i5 @ 2.3 GHz, Overclocked.

Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

6 gigs of ram

The shit that REALLY scares me is: Sometimes my GPU can get in the upper 80 degrees Celsius. I've even seen it get as high as 96 degrees Celsius. At that point I shut it down completely. I now have 3 extra fans pointed at it in every reasonable direction and it can still get to 80 Celsius.

Yeah, I'm happy to say DayZ is absolutely playable on a Dell 14r laptop: Core i3-2310m @ 2.10Ghz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD3000. The extra RAM helped tremendously because it increased the video card's share of the RAM to 512MB from 324MB. I have the same experience with Arma 3. I believe I get about 30fps... which ain't great by any stretch of the imagination, but it's playable. I've gotten my share of kills in Arma 3 Wasteland. I just can't play with shadows on - which sucks because it adds a really lovely dimension to the world, but... that's just the way it is. If I had a GTX690, I'd be playing with shadows on definitely.

At some point, I'd love to get a new computer that can get a better frame rate at higher graphics settings, but that just isn't going to happen any time soon.

And, it should be noted, your eyes aren't going to notice any improvement in FPS beyond the refresh rate of your monitor. If, for example, your monitor is set to 60hz, you're never going to see any difference beyond 60FPS. The benefit to a GPU that can put out more is that when the load gets heavy, it may not decrease in fps below the monitor's refresh rate.

Edited by entspeak

I guess I should feel good about my PC. My main machine is a Dell XPS 15z. I usually pull ~40-50 in Cherno/Elektro on a good day on medium settings.

Specs are:

Core i5 @ 2.3 GHz, Overclocked.

Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

6 gigs of ram

The shit that REALLY scares me is: Sometimes my GPU can get in the upper 80 degrees Celsius. I've even seen it get as high as 96 degrees Celsius. At that point I shut it down completely. I now have 3 extra fans pointed at it in every reasonable direction and it can still get to 80 Celsius.

get a liquid cooling system or make ur pc an oil submerged one (suggesting u to use "mineral" one). then ur good to go.. with about max 25-35 of degrees cel.

ps:fans suck.. and rly hard....

Edited by SoulHunter

I didn't even notice he had shadows off. Almost everyone gets high fps if those are turned off although they still won't reach those insane numbers. Hey OP, how much do you get when you turn those buggers on?

You managed to miss the entire meaning of this thread.

GJ........

Its not about bragging, its about how you get HUGE FPS.

If you have read the entire thread you would see its all a dicussion on HOW to get more FPS, not bragging about anything.....

Ok, I'll start by saying sorry for not responding to your questions.

* This thread is quite old, and it died a while ago. Till I guess someone brought it back to life at the start of april.

- I've also not logged on the dayz forums for a while. :blush:

As for the questions.

- I'll look into it, and getting some test results with shadows.

I do have a couple test screen shots.

As to repeat the tests it will take some time.

* I did change my "FOV" of which changed results FPS quite noticeably.

----------------------------------------------------------

Default FOV.

eVGvdps.jpg?1

New FOV

Mok9T2D.jpg?1

Some old shadows testing screenshots.

Packed 70 player Taviana server.

* Test of low - high settings.

* CPU threads recorded , GPU usage recorded, CPU overall usage, There is also a GPU3 but don't worry about it. It is a GTX460 being used as a dedicated PhysX card.

Low settings test.

oF6vpCN.jpg?1

High Settings test.

6oNeZ3R.jpg?1

Some cherno testing pics.

High settings test, didn't do a low settings test tho.

kxwv1aO.jpg?1

vT5upLx.jpg?1

OLxdGop.jpg?1

I'll look into getting the chernarus screenshots later today.

Edited by Sobieski12

To add to the thread.

3570k at 4.2ghz, GTX 690 EVGA, and CPU water cooling, 16 gigs of 2133mhz RAM, Z77a MSI, and Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I'm at 165 frames at night. With everything on high at 1920x1080. I don't use any effects that make the game feel slow or laggy. (Post process, vsync etc) on a 120hz monitor.

Running around Cherno I'll get 50fps running, but standing still about 85fps. There's a big difference between taking a screen shot when stationary and when not stationary. And my computer is even better than the OP's due to ram and overclocking!

These are glory screenshots. It's not THAT smooth playing Dayz. BF3 on the other hand? Everything on Ultra at like 160fps in the middle of a 64 player server. lol.

And to add; I'm doing all the tweaks I can to get game as soon as can be! Even though with a 690 I can play pretty.. I prefer smooth.

Edited by pr0phe7

To add to the thread.

3570k at 4.2ghz, GTX 690 EVGA, and CPU water cooling, 16 gigs of 2133mhz RAM, Z77a MSI, and Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I'm at 165 frames at night. With everything on high at 1920x1080. I don't use any effects that make the game feel slow or laggy. (Post process, vsync etc) on a 120hz monitor.

Running around Cherno I'll get 50fps running, but standing still about 85fps. There's a big difference between taking a screen shot when stationary and when not stationary. And my computer is even better than the OP's due to ram and overclocking!

These are glory screenshots. It's not THAT smooth playing Dayz. BF3 on the other hand? Everything on Ultra at like 160fps in the middle of a 64 player server. lol.

And to add; I'm doing all the tweaks I can to get game as soon as can be! Even though with a 690 I can play pretty.. I prefer smooth.

I'll try not to embarrass you, but you need re-read the original post.

* 4224.0Mhz is the CPU frequency, thus equal to 4.2Ghz ---> But I also need to remind that this is an old thread, I've bumped the OC to 4300.0 Mhz / 4.3 Ghz ever since then.

- Not to mention I have an I7-3770K

As for the RAM.

* 16384 Mb is equal to 16 Gb

- As for the frequency, I've had it set at 1866mhz.

Didn't bother with a higher frequency, it does not really impact game-play performance.

​* As for editing and creating video files, different story.

----

As for the glory screenshots, I found that comment quite entertaining.

* How about you get on a populated server and take a screenshot in the city of cherno?

- Showing a "OSD" of your FPS and GPU usage, I am very interested where in the city you got 85 frames.

As for the gaming not being smooth during movement.

* Here is a small vid of me recording with fraps, ah yes the fps killer.

- Loss of fps due to recording on a HD instead of a SSD.

If you pause at the start of the vid, the fps is at 90. Once fraps is starting the run in the background, fps drops around 45 - 60 FPS.

* Even with fraps the game can still run smooth

Edited by Sobieski12

I'll try not to embarrass you, but you need re-read the original post.

* 4224.0Mhz is the CPU frequency, thus equal to 4.2Ghz ---> But I also need to remind that this is an old thread, I've bumped the OC to 4300.0 Mhz / 4.3 Ghz ever since then.

- Not to mention I have an I7-3770K

As for the RAM.

* 16384 Mb is equal to 16 Gb

- As for the frequency, I've had it set at 1866mhz.

Didn't bother with a higher frequency, it does not really impact game-play performance.

​* As for editing and creating video files, different story.

----

As for the glory screenshots, I found that comment quite entertaining.

* How about you get on a populated server and take a screenshot in the city of cherno?

- Showing a "OSD" of your FPS and GPU usage, I am very interested where in the city you got 85 frames.

As for the gaming not being smooth during movement.

* Here is a small vid of me recording with fraps, ah yes the fps killer.

- Loss of fps due to recording on a HD instead of a SSD.

If you pause at the start of the vid, the fps is at 90. Once fraps is starting the run in the background, fps drops around 45 - 60 FPS.

* Even with fraps the game can still run smooth

All funny.

3770k doesn't benefit AT ALL in gaming. Essentially the same FPS exactly in games. Don't need the extra threads. Faster ram DOES make it faster. My 690 IS overclocked +125 etc. I normally run a 4.6ghz since I'm watercooled but I was giving your FPS the benefit of the doubt. I run my game off the SSD as well.

But this is not the point.

I get 85 fps in city because I followed a great tweak guide.

But this is not the point.

I get 85 fps in city because I followed a great tweak guide.

Also not the point. The point of the thread is to give tips and tricks on how to get better FPS in DayZ, not to say you get X amount of FPS, because you've you got this and that. Screenshots are also helpful, but you have to factor in amount of players on the server, as well as objects on the server. Most servers have custom buildings, extra vehicles, etc.. The more load on the server, the more it can affect your FPS.

You find the longer the server goes without a restart, your FPS will start to drop very slightly. I max out at 60FPS across majority of servers (I only play U.K/EU servers), but I have V-Sync turned on which will cause it to stay on 60. Why do I have it on? Because the game looks horrible when your buddy infront of you has his legs 2 meters from the rest of his body. Screen tearing is the worst. I have everything set to High including Shadows, excluding Postprocess, and I think its AntiAlising?

But I get 60FPS solid, which is great for recording, plus without screen tearing and shadows turned on, makes the game look very nice. Also a tip for recording, use Dxtory. You can play in 1080 @ 60, while recording in 720 @ 30. Brilliant piece of software.

Edited by RJTurneR