Sign in to follow this  
_Anubis_ (DayZ)

if I drop my gear before dying, will I find it later on?

Maybe it is a stupid question... Today I died after many days of peaceful survival after falling over from a deer stand. Broken bones, no morphine, far away from any hospital.

To make a long story short, an horde of military zombies took good care of me, I stopped shooting because it was useless.

Thinking again, maybe I should have dropped all my gear before dying, either for a lucky survivor or for me (assuming I could go there again).

Do dropped items survive after exiting and restarting?

_Anubis_

Do dropped items survive after exiting and restarting?

_Anubis_

Dropped items like that will stay around until picked up obviously, or until the server restarts.

If you log out immediately after dying it seems as if your body dissapears as it is still considered you, as in your character, alive or not. However, if you respawn the body remains until restart, as far as I know. As for leaving items, when a buddy of mine tried that a long while ago before entering Elektro, the stuff vanished when he died. The only way to secure items is to leave them in a tent or on your person when you log of, ALIVE that is.

You can drop backpacks with gear in them, it might be easier to hide. Not sure how long they stay around though.

You also have to join the same server.

If you join a different server you'll appear in the same place but your stuff won't be there, it's on the server where you dropped it.

I don't know if this is the same on every server, (private versus public), but I have died a few times, ran back to the scene and the body was already gone. I used to think someone just took my gear and hid the body, but one time I had a similar accident walking off a second story roof and no one else was on. Took me 25 minutes to run back to the corpse and I could hear flies at the exact location, but no body.

Just suck it up and take it like a man boy!

A fool and his kit are easily parted. :P