terrorizer33

DayZ server administration guide

Good day fellow server admins (and rest),

My mate and server owner of UK498 has put a guide together on how to administrate our DayZ public server. I sort of rewrote it, got rid of all the example player IPs and some personal info and now it's free to download and use.

Please note that this document isn't fool proof nor is it verified by the DayZ mod developers, but after verifying the guide by some of the forum mods I decided to just convert it to .pdf and put it up for download.

All credits go to my mate (lielestosbrat) and I cant thank him enough for putting his time and energy into putting this guide together.

You can download it here: http://www.ge.tt/3ajcOpW/v/0?c

You need Acrobat reader to be able to open it. Adobe reader can be downloaded here: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

This guide can still be ammended at any time and all your extra input is welcome too ofcourse. The more info, the easier/quicker we can get rid of all those pesky hackerzzz...

Cheers and hope you find this usefull.

• Like 10

We're banning around 80 hackers A DAY...

- Sorry mate, but i have enough work to do, just logging in, i like your idea, problem is.. the amount of hackers is waaaaaaaaaaay bigger then what you expect..

I know what you mean mate... This guide is meant to help us admins so we can catch them quicker... and it's also for nooby admins who are absolutely clueless on what to look at in the logs ;)

Apparently you don't have to read it since you're a pro hacker banner and already know what to look for :D :)

• Like 2

Beans!

Thank you for this, for me i will be handing this ot our current admins and any new admins, its a perfect start to getting them up to speed and aware of what we are trying to do.

Thank you both.

d.

• Like 2

Great News, I have already read through this. I'm biased though because I am an Admin alongside Terror and LieLestSbrat. But they have years of admin experience and they are are a wealth of knowledge.

If there is anything you don't understand then I suggest you post your question here.

Alternatively you can visit us in game (there is an admin present every evening, the server is monitored all day though)

Or vist our forum at www.teamoldskool.com

Hope it helps! Still a big nuisance though... havent really been playing alot lately... just digging in logs dishing out bans left and right :( Rare moment I do get in game I get teleported and die :(

• Like 1

Hey drunkie. I think I might give you guys a visit on your server tonight!

*Gulp*

Be careful Ravey, we had a script user last night that replaced everyones inventory with another loadout...DMR's all round!

All of you are welcome.

d.

Ps. i have passed this onto one of my newest admins....'Omg, theres so much to do, wheres punk buster...' I might let that admin go.....

• Like 1

Ps. i have passed this onto one of my newest admins....'Omg, theres so much to do, wheres punk buster...' I might let that admin go.....

Hahahaha tbh it's alot more work adminning a DayZ server then any other game server I've been admin on before :( Hope they come up with some kind of admin tool for the stand alone... We might actually be able to play then instead of downloading logs all the time :) :)

• Like 1

Looks good, nice work. ;)

Same goes for your tool :) Apart from that max 3000 bans be issue we've been using it :) Hope that will be fixed soon enough :) Cheers very handy!

Beans for the OP, the learning curve for securing a server is pretty steep and every hand-holding guide gives new admins a wee edge up that slope.

Is there any central repository or wiki where new admins can go to check entries in logs to see if they are considered dodgy rather than having people creating new posts every time?

• Like 2

Beans for the OP, the learning curve for securing a server is pretty steep and every hand-holding guide gives new admins a wee edge up that slope.

Is there any central repository or wiki where new admins can go to check entries in logs to see if they are considered dodgy rather than having people creating new posts every time?

As far as I know there's no centralised page where you can look up certain log lines and stuff... This guide has been written using all kinds of different websites and feeds. From within the DayZ community but also from ARMA2 related websites (since DayZ runs on the ARMA2 engine).

I don't want this to disappear just yet as it is an extremely useful document. Please read it!

It would be great if an Admin could sticky this too!

• Like 1

Thanks for putting this together, reading through it now.

• Like 1

Hmz something seems messed up with that download. I'll upload it again tomorrow.

Weird most can download it still.. Tried it from different computers as wel.. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll mail it to you.

I do love this dart program, it helps me out being a new admin and all. but i am having a problem reading in game chat. i can only do it if I myself am in game. but it doesnt really help me that much if im in game because then i can just read the chat in there myself. and solutions?

I do love this dart program, it helps me out being a new admin and all. but i am having a problem reading in game chat. i can only do it if I myself am in game. but it doesnt really help me that much if im in game because then i can just read the chat in there myself. and solutions?

Don't know much about Dart myself (other then it works for me), maybe try your luck posting your issues with Dart in here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/68933-dart-a-lightweight-dayz-rcon-tool-v081-27012013/

Remeber that only global chat gets transmitted to the server all the time.

All the other channels have a range limit.

That means direct, side and vehicle chat only get sent to the server (and displayed in DaRT) if there is someone else in range to read it.

If anyone is in range or you are using global chat you will see it in DaRT and any other RCon applications.

• Like 1

First of all, thank you for the administration guide. I read through it and learned a lot! Can someone clarify something for me regarding coordinates. In the excerpt from the guide below, where does the position 133 come from? I'm confused.

10.01.2013 10:56:29: King.C (XX.XX.XXX.XX:XXXX) 9af5e135bc4bc147926d7502d2b66584 - #45 "G_40mm_HE" 360:438 360:71 [9703,1993,7]

[79,9,1]

10.01.2013 10:57:21: King.C (XX.XX.XXX.XX:XXXX) 9af5e135bc4bc147926d7502d2b66584 - #45 "G_40mm_HE" 360:446 360:71 [2579,10025,271] [35,71,5]

The next bit in bold is the players location. [9703,1993,7] The coordinates recorded in the logs don't match

up 100% to those used in game. Horizontal coordinates are matched to the game

world but vertical coordinates are reversed. The first set of coordinates put the

player at 97,133. The next set places the player at 25,53.

Edited by Splinter_2K
  • Like 1