Sign in to follow this  
rassad

Item Tracking Device.

My Idea, is to be able to find a small/tiny Tracking device, that you can attach to another item ( To your Gun/Clothing/NVG/etc )

This Tracking device would be a very rare item.

But if you ever had a really nice gun, or other item, you could attach a tracking device, so if a player steals that item, you still have a chance of getting it back by hunting that player down.

1. The Tracker location might only update every 1-5mins

2. Not completely accurate, maybe within 200 meters

Tracking devices should be able to be removed by a player, but would need special tools to do so.

It's intriguing and it's definitely not been suggested before, but is it really suitable? post apocalyptic, war ridden country, or 007? I'm not sure it would fit in as cool as it sounds.

• Like 1

At first, I thought this was a little silly. Things like tracking devices and knockout gas seem out of place, like 'Why the hell would you find these in some backwater, former Soviet country?'. Although, after thinking about it, it is possible you could find some sort of tracker that someone would put in a dog collar, in case the dog ran away.

I do, however, still see a couple of problems with this.

A device like this would probably use a satellite, and I'm not sure they would still be up in this situation.

Also, upon finding a tracking device on you, why couldn't you just smash it? It might be better to safely remove it, place it somewhere, and set a trap, but if you didn't have the tools, that wouldn't mean there's nothing to be done about it.

All in all, I still think it would seem a little too 'Hollywood'. As Maze said, I don't really think it's suitable.

Whats the point of trying to hunt down whoever stole it when you can go and find another one? I guess its more important if its something rare like NVG's or a good gun but after you've died, you'll have nothing anyway so by the time you round up a heap of equipment, you've already got decent stuff so I think its kinda useless.

A device like this would probably use a satellite, and I'm not sure they would still be up in this situation.

You are correct, it may cause an immersion issue, but on the other hand, I would imagine Satellites would not instantly spin out of control in an apocalypse.

Smashing it should also be an option.

Whats the point of trying to hunt down whoever stole it when you can go and find another one?

I would imagine with the new Weapon customisation, if you find a Very rare Gun, and also attach several rare attachments over the days you survive, it would become an extremely difficult item to replace.

One other problem with my idea, is that you Died... So why can you track an item after death? mmm...

Edited by rassad

Seems too 'high-tech' for the setting. How about a way to track footsteps or blood that was spilled onto the ground? Or even bullet holes on objects from how recent it was impacted into it?

EDIT: Having a tracking ability on items as well wouldn't be such a great idea.. It'd be a win-win situation no matter what, if you lose it, it's lost. You can always get it back in your next spawn or in your next encounter :)

Edited by TIC321

Your right it dosnt really fit. I just wanted some mechanic that would give you a Chance to hunt down an item you lost, or get revenge on your killer. But without it being too 'OP'.

Another idea, would be to find NPC survivors, hiding in houses, and you could ask them what/who they have seen pass by recently. Maybe they could tell you the direction a player ran.

You might also be able to do other things with NPC survivors, and even kill them to take stuff.

Your right it dosnt really fit. I just wanted some mechanic that would give you a Chance to hunt down an item you lost, or get revenge on your killer. But without it being too 'OP'.

Another idea, would be to find NPC survivors, hiding in houses, and you could ask them what/who they have seen pass by recently. Maybe they could tell you the direction a player ran.

You might also be able to do other things with NPC survivors, and even kill them to take stuff.

Well I turned out to be wrong about what I had suggested..

Q: Will you be able to track players or find evidence of a firefight, blood trails, bullet casings etc?

A: ArmA III has got it, (I'm pretty sure) but there is an issue for us with memory and dealing with these things, we had something like that in the mod at one point where eating a can of beans left an empty can but that has issues effect framerate so I think it's a bit much in terms of bullet casings, so that's probably a no.

But how would you be able to track it once you die? You'd need some kind of receiver.

I do like the idea of being able to track survivors.

then what about GPS ;)