CoruptedComedian

dayz sniper tutorial!

You know, that is a proper tutorial on how to use the DMR and calculate using the mil-dots. :thumbsup: I like it a lot. :)

However, I just point guns and hope the bullets hit zombies. The truth is, I'm not sure I'd have the time to use a calculator to calculate the height and work out the distance to know where to point the gun. The zombies would have eaten me long before then. :huh:

I wouldn't waste a dmr round on a zombie!

I could shoot 3 mags from a DMR in the air. DMR mags are way too easy to find.

I could shoot 3 mags from a DMR in the air. DMR mags are way too easy to find.

True they are common, but I'm a tight fisted Scot and they are awfy loud.

Good tutorial. Very informative. I haven't had to use my DMR much, but when I have it's been in more of clutch situations where I don't have time to calculate all that out unfortunately. However, thanks to it's semi-auto nature, you can fish out a range with your shots if you've already been exposed. I'm thinking of doing the math to transfer directly from mil-dot height to bullet drop offset, without having to figure out the actual range in the middle.

And no, don't use the DMR on zombies. A friend of mine did one time, and I had to go in and save him, got about 40 zombie kills after it was all said and done.

There are a lot of topics like that. Two quick points:

- Never use pre-made correction tables, always make one yourself. Zeroing of any gun in ARMA, DMR included, differs with your aspect ratio and FOV. Mine is 15 meters off for example, so my M24 is actually zeroed at 785 when I'm choosing 800, and DMR is zeroed at 385 when zoomed. And that's a huge difference when it comes to long range 1-hit kills.

- Sniping in the editor is easy, you'd better show some real kills with a commentary, because quickly ranging the distant target with mildots in a real situation is a whole different story, and it takes much more skill than to actually hit it (in vanilla ARMA, of course).

I'm thinking of doing the math to transfer directly from mil-dot height to bullet drop offset, without having to figure out the actual range in the middle.

Keep in mind that it's not always possible to have a standing human (zed or survivor) in your sight to estimate the range, mildots tend to be inaccurate past 600-700m, and at thet range every 10m cost a lot of bullet drop. Ranging from bigger objects would be better probably, and it makes such table useless.

Edited by KizUrazgubi