guyver1

Standalone - backpack access

There is nothing more unrealistic than having a gun removed from your backpack and being shot with it because there is nothing in the game/engine that stops anyone from accessing your entire backpack as long as their within range of it to get the option in their menu.

Surely this goes totally against the grain of Rockets 'authentic' experience......

Its simply not plausible that someone can remove a large assault rifle from your person without you feeling something!

Suggestion:

Lock backpacks down to the player carrying the backpack.

Result:

No more ridiculous thefts.

Gameplay thoughts:

1. Rob someone:

The person you rob either has to drop their items on the floor, or there needs to be an option whereby the backpack carrier can allow access to their backpack to a specific player. This means you physically have to have a standoff with another player.

If you can have the ability to group up in Standalone then you can tick an option whether to allow your group automatic access to your backpack by default, meaning grouped players can happily access each others backpacks.

2. If a player dies then their backpack automatically opens up to everyone as lootable.

3. If a player is unconscious then their backpack becomes lootable to everyone for the duration of the passed out timer.

ah ok, cool.

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything 'concrete'.

Meh, just have it make a loud noise (shuffling of items, and clicking of "snappers" as I call them) when someone has it opened. :P

• Like 1

You should be totally able to steal stuff from other people?

- Pickpocket thiefs are able to take your wallet even if it was right next to your dick, and you wouldnt notice it..

Be aware of your surroundings, and stop sleeping while playing?

You should be totally able to steal stuff from other people?

- Pickpocket thiefs are able to take your wallet even if it was right next to your dick, and you wouldnt notice it..

Be aware of your surroundings, and stop sleeping while playing?

You're going to 'seriously' compare stealing a wallet from a 'sports shop' backpack, usually in a very busy urban environment where the noise of hundreds of people drown out the quiet russle of someone deftly opening a zip or clickloc to stealing an assault rifle, from a military grade backpack from someone lying down in the middle of a quiet forest with no-one else around........

I mean, seriously, did you even think before you typed that? Or have you not experienced real life in any way shape or form!?!?!?

• Like 1

i actualy like that you can take stuff out of peoples backpacks. and if you took it out of the mod then good luck getting your buddy to take a blood bag out to heal you.

IDK about you but we always make sure the blood bags are evenly distributed with one in each of our main inventories, lol. I can't see that causing any problems...

Have to agree with this thread, hope this has been considered in the standalone.

You're going to 'seriously' compare stealing a wallet from a 'sports shop' backpack, usually in a very busy urban environment where the noise of hundreds of people drown out the quiet russle of someone deftly opening a zip or clickloc to stealing an assault rifle, from a military grade backpack from someone lying down in the middle of a quiet forest with no-one else around........

Oh I see, now. A sniper being butthurt because they were too busy with their tunnel vision to notice someone sneak up on them.. And if not, you were most likely afk, which gives all the more justification for someone being able to take your stuff and kill you with it. Or what happened?

And;

Meh, just have it make a loud noise (shuffling of items, and clicking of "snappers" as I call them) when someone has it opened.

I prefer this solution to magically locking backpacks entirely. It makes more sense for other people to get behind you and grab stuff than you taking the stuff out yourself because of the fact that you are wearing the backpack and it's behind you.

• Like 1

Oh I see, now. A sniper being butthurt because they were too busy with their tunnel vision to notice someone sneak up on them.. And if not, you were most likely afk, which gives all the more justification for someone being able to take your stuff and kill you with it. Or what happened?

And;

I prefer this solution to magically locking backpacks entirely. It makes more sense for other people to get behind you and grab stuff than you taking the stuff out yourself because of the fact that you are wearing the backpack and it's behind you.

Well done for not providing a suitable answer to the orginal reply that you quoted me replying to and then strawmanning.

I've never been robbed when sniping (mainly because I've only ever had 1 sniper rifle in all the time I've played)

There are plenty of youtube videos out there showing backpack abuse in passing and it generally happens during face to face player interaction where random players come across each other and theres some kind of interaction either friendly or not and as soon as the players come within the correct distance, the one player will simply go straight for the Open Backpack command rather than interact with the other player when their 'face to face'!

Hell, I've even seen a video where a player gets shot and goes down bleeding with a broken bone and the shooting player comes over to finish him off and then check him for loot and the grounded player simply waits until the shooter is in distance, clicks on Open Backpack, takes a gun and shoots the shooter dead. (genius on one level, but totally taking advantage of a broken system on the other hand)

The problem is, there's no sound, there's no player animation, there's NOTHING to indicate that another player who's standing right in front of you is accessing your backpack...

Sorry, but thats just not what I consider 'authentic'

Force them to crawl or walk towards the other players backpack (or give the option for the player who is having their stuff gone through) to put their bag in front of them while they're kneeling.

Locking them out entirely would take away from the game, giving a sound and putting the "offending" player behind the other one (say looking into the bag with their head down) would be enough. Even on our ILBE packs in the Marine Corps you can't "lock" them without putting a padlock on it...and I don't think you'd want to have to open a pad lock to reach your rifle if you're sniping and someone gets too close.

Sound > Locking.

Can't just throw one idea out there to fix a problem. Brain storm it.

I've had someone steal my stuff before...I chased him for 20 minutes with an axe and eventually was able to kill the bastard as I screamed into the mic "I offered to help you, you sack of shit! Mistake my kindness for weakness!? Fuck you!". It was excellent.

Force them to crawl or walk towards the other players backpack (or give the option for the player who is having their stuff gone through) to put their bag in front of them while they're kneeling.

Locking them out entirely would take away from the game, giving a sound and putting the "offending" player behind the other one (say looking into the bag with their head down) would be enough. Even on our ILBE packs in the Marine Corps you can't "lock" them without putting a padlock on it...and I don't think you'd want to have to open a pad lock to reach your rifle if you're sniping and someone gets too close.

Sound > Locking.

Can't just throw one idea out there to fix a problem. Brain storm it.

I've had someone steal my stuff before...I chased him for 20 minutes with an axe and eventually was able to kill the bastard as I screamed into the mic "I offered to help you, you sack of shit! Mistake my kindness for weakness!? Fuck you!". It was excellent.

LOL :D

Well done for not providing a suitable answer to the orginal reply that you quoted me replying to and then strawmanning. That's because I did not reply to the quote as a whole. Only the part which I clearly highlighted. (I'm not trying to strawman, here. I even asked you "Or what happened?" You just didn't bother answering me, but instead accuse me of strawmanning.) And, what do you mean by "suitable answer," when you didn't even ask anything?

I've never been robbed when sniping (mainly because I've only ever had 1 sniper rifle in all the time I've played)

There are plenty of youtube videos out there showing backpack abuse in passing and it generally happens during face to face player interaction where random players come across each other and theres some kind of interaction either friendly or not and as soon as the players come within the correct distance, the one player will simply go straight for the Open Backpack command rather than interact with the other player when their 'face to face'!

Saw some guy get his legs broken by zombies and get knocked out. Ran up to him, bandaged him and told him I'd give him morphine once he woke up. (He was unarmed.) Once he woke up, he waited for me to start giving him a blood transfusion, and used to chance to go into my backpack and pick up my AS50 and attempted to fire at me with it. But being the clever person that I am, I kept all my ammo in my inventory instead of the backpack, so all that was heard as clicking, until I shot half a clip into his head. "Tsk, tsk." were my last words for him.

- http://dayzmod.com/f...z/#entry1089014

Trust me, I know.

Hell, I've even seen a video where a player gets shot and goes down bleeding with a broken bone and the shooting player comes over to finish him off and then check him for loot and the grounded player simply waits until the shooter is in distance, clicks on Open Backpack, takes a gun and shoots the shooter dead. (genius on one level, but totally taking advantage of a broken system on the other hand) Not even going to argue. I agree.

The problem is, there's no sound, there's no player animation, there's NOTHING to indicate that another player who's standing right in front of you is accessing your backpack... Which, again, is WHY I edited my post(which you quoted), saying that I preferred the sound effects of someone trying to access your backpack rather than making it completely impossible, as that would also not be "authentic" (The word you should use is "realistic," as this is about realism, not authenticity.)

Sorry, but thats just not what I consider 'realistic*'

Redness for justice.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Saw some guy get his legs broken by zombies and get knocked out. Ran up to him, bandaged him and told him I'd give him morphine once he woke up. (He was unarmed.) Once he woke up, he waited for me to start giving him a blood transfusion, and used to chance to go into my backpack and pick up my AS50 and attempted to fire at me with it. But being the clever person that I am, I kept all my ammo in my inventory instead of the backpack, so all that was heard as clicking, until I shot half a clip into his head. "Tsk, tsk." were my last words for him.

that right there just proves my entire point.

How is it 'realistic' to just have a 'sound'??

A guy is there right in front of you and is able to take a HUGE sniper rifle from you without you being in the least bit aware of it until he tries to actually pull the trigger and your ok with that??

That game mechanic is shit, plain and simple. utter shit.

I disagree, and here's why:

While it is unrealistic to have you not notice them taking stuff out of your bag, it's even more unrealistic for the bag to be completely locked down to anyone but yourself. I think it would be much better if there was simply a distinctive sound whenever something is taken out of a backpack. If you hear that sound right in your ears, something has probably been taken from you.

Honestly, all I see this doing is taking away from realism and possibly causing more murder - if someone can't pickpocket from you, maybe they'll just switch over to plain ol' killing for loot.

EDIT: On the points about it being unrealistic for someone to take a weapon out of your bag: What is more unrealistic? Someone taking a .50 calibre sniper rifle out of your bag, or you fitting a .50 calibre sniper rifle in to your bag in the first place?

Edited by Dark Link
  • Like 2

If your going to keep the bag unlocked then a pickpocket can only take items that are one slot in size like a can of beans, a magazine, blood bag etc.

There is no way in hell that you can pick pocket a bloody rifle!!!

Edited by Guyver1

that right there just proves my entire point.

How is it 'realistic' to just have a 'sound'??

A guy is there right in front of you and is able to take a HUGE sniper rifle from you without you being in the least bit aware of it until he tries to actually pull the trigger and your ok with that??

That game mechanic is shit, plain and simple. utter shit.

Of course I'm not okay with that. But it's more of a case of immersion to me, at the moment.

The thing is that if you are even able to entirely shove an AS50 to a backpack, it's just as realistic for someone to be able to silently pull it out of there without you noticing. This would be easily fixed in the Standalone simply by not allowing (primary)weapons to be put in your backpack, but tied on the outside of it instead, with the additional precaution of not allowing people to access backpacks unless they are behind the player wearing it.

Edit;

There is no way in hell that you can pick pocket and bloody rifle!!!

There is no way in hell that you can stuff a rifle into the bloody backpack!

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

There should be a request system, unless the player is unconscious. Or, a notification "A player has accessed your backpack!" Accompanied by the sound of various clicks and zippers and general ruffling noises.

Alright, how about this:

Backpack access is still open, but...

1. A backpack can only be accessed from directly behind the person wearing it.

2. Both the person taking from the backpack and the person wearing the backpack must be standing perfectly still.

3. An easily noticable "unzipping" sound is played when a backpack is opened.

4. An easily noticable sound is played when something is taken out of a backpack.

5. An easily noticable animation is played when someone takes something out of a backpack.

This way, you either have to be very well distracted or completely oblivious in order for someone to successfully take something out of your bag without you noticing, and it solves the issue without sacrificing any realism.

Also, perhaps some sort of padlock item could be added so that you can lock your bag. However, it should not be locked by default and your bag should only be locked while you're alive and concious.

Edited by Dark Link
  • Like 2

Alright, how about this:

Backpack access is still open, but...

1. A backpack can only be accessed from directly behind the person wearing it.

2. Both the person taking from the backpack and the person wearing the backpack must be standing perfectly still.

3. An easily noticable "unzipping" sound is played when a backpack is opened.

4. An easily noticable sound is played when something is taken out of a backpack.

5. An easily noticable animation is played when someone takes something out of a backpack.

This I like.

The animation is a must tbh, you cant just access a backpack without some form of player animation

I don't see the problem with people rummaging in your bag, sure it shouldn't be silent like it is right now, but just because it isn't done in a stealth fashion doesn't mean it will fail before you can do something about it.

A backpack is actually a pretty nice grabbing point to hold someone against their will.