Wasteland_Wanderer

[GUIDE] Configuration Tweaking

These are a collection of tweaks to help get you're DayZ installation running smoothly and still looking great if you don't have an awesome high end system.

1.) Launcher/Shortcut options

If you have a steam version just copy and paste the following into launch options for Operation Arrowhead.

If you've got a non-steam version, make a shortcut of the Operation Arrowhead .exe and after the end " in the target line paste the following

-nosplash -mod=@dayz -world=empty

-nosplash: removes startup splash screens

-world=empty: makes it so a heap of junk isnt loaded up in the background of the menu screen

EDIT: -cpucount =X , and -maxmem=2047 can also be added in the target line arguments, there is reason to believe that these are outdated and Arma 2 will automatically detect these for you (OrdeaL), but frame rate improvements have been noted with these arguments (thanks to Unforsaken Assassin).

-cpucount=X: ensures X number of cores are used, e.g -cpucount=2 a dual core cpu, -cpucount=4 for a quad

-maxmem=XXXX: sets the MAX amount of RAM made available to the engine

2.) Config file values

Open explorer and open this file in notepad (whatever)

C:\Users\"your name"\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\"your character name"\"your character name".ArmA2OAProfile

Change the following lines to look like this

mouseSmoothing=1;

makes you mouse way smoother :P probably the most effective tweak for increasing user response

shadingQuality=0;

the shadows still look like shadows

Bonus: These two in combination increase/decrease your field of view. This seems to be a good proportion for a 1920x1080 res.

fovTop=0.97500002;

fovLeft=1.5599999;

Check this link for a thorough explanation. Setting up your FOV

3.) In Game Options

Video memory - Default

Set that sucker to default, Very High = 512MB default will detect if you've got higher.

Post processing effects - Off The blur is cool, but removing this will give you a good amount of frames

vsync - Off

3D resolution - set it to be as close to the natural resolution of your monitor as possible, preferably set it to the same. This is a must to make your game playable, not looking seriously blurry or using too much processing to make it look super sharp.

View Distance - 1000 to 3000/i]

I you never really need more than 3000, and 1000 is still very playable. I heard a rumor the view distances may be enforced server side, can anyone confirm this?

More coming later tonight when I get home, have to see my settings to refresh my mind for each setting. In most cases there is hardly any difference between normal and low.

Also check this page for comparisons between video setting levels and decide for yourself what you're willing to sacrifice for performance, Arma 2 Benchmarks - I think Fillrate Optimization / Pixel Doubling refers to what is now called 3D Resolution

Nato

EDIT: removed - cpucount =2' date=' and -maxmem=2047 target line arguments thanks to OrdeaL's suggestions. (They were redundant).

[/quote']

Nice job :). May I ask why these were redundant? I get higher frame rate with those on.

^Ah that's cool to know. I thought it was redundant because or OrdeaL's suggestion (who is most likely more in touch with the Arma 2 engine than I am)

Can i add that you probably shouldn't be putting -maxmem=2047 that's for very old versions of the game before it was a LAA version using more then 2gigs RAM came out(more details on BIS forums). So i would definitely not use that command!

And as far as I'm aware there's no need for -cpucount=2 because Arma detects that also. Its more for people with 6cores so they could restrict it to 4 and so on.

Good luck!

Didn't you tell me you had more to add later?

Also sorry I didn't message you back, your account settings wouldn't let me broha.

View distance max can be set in missions, and in server configs.

Server view distance default is 1600, unless someone changes it, but I believe that's what the Devs are setting it at. The mission I think has fog about 500m from memory too.

So little point in setting your own above 2000.

I've used lots of different ArmA game launchers in the past, and I'm currently finding ArmArize a pretty good one. For new players it has all these custom startup options as tick boxes, so it's easy to start your game with all the above parameters, plus a few more.

Just a question: I am running arma maxed out, and 3d res at 1920x1200 ( same as my monitor) will setting the 3d res higher actually make the game look better? I would try it myself but I dont have time for it atm.

Just a question: I am running arma maxed out' date=' and 3d res at 1920x1200 ( same as my monitor) will setting the 3d res higher actually make the game look better? I would try it myself but I dont have time for it atm.

[/quote']

If you set the 3D res higher, you would be in effect using supersampling. A form of antialiasing through brute force where the actual monitor works like a low pass filter.

In effect, I quite like it. I can run with 125% 3D res and 0x AA and the important details look way better then with 100% 3D and 4xAA. But it might depend on your taste and perception, and possibly on your LCD. Mind you, because your average LCD is quite bad at being a low pass filter, you will still get jaggies on powerlines et cetera. But small detail (foliage, people silhouettes at horizon, etc) is much better detailed in my opinion if using supersampling. You can combine it with FXAA or modest SMAA (post-processing antialiasing which is quite less resource hungry than FSAA) for best results.

All in all, you should try it yourself. For me it works, YMMV

Is it possible to run 300% and max AA? Or will this not work togheter?

Why not (I think max 3D res is 200% though)? But prepare for a nice slideshow gameplaywise...and better cool that GFX a LOT. In case you haven't understood, doubling 3D resolution makes the whole game render the scene in DOUBLE RESOLUTION, ie 1680x1050 becomes 3360x2100px. Quadruple the area! Not only you would need 4GB ram GFX probably, I am not sure even two 690s in SLI could run it comfortably. So, unless you have a pretty high-end setup, don't mess with the 3D res at all :) For cheaper antialiasing, look up Arma2OA.cfg, latest Arma2OA betas and what they introduced in FXAA and SMAA postprocess antialiasing methods (I can assure you, these work, especially SMAA imho, and offer less performance penalty then normal MSAA enabled through game menu).

300% was a typo, I have a 680 gtx and a i5. 2500k. I just tried myself and I got ~27 fps all maxed out and 3d on 200%. Looked great! But I could nearly use my gpu as a toaster even at max fan speeds. Back to 1920x1200 again, It runs with gpu on 30c so Ill choose hardware life above 200% 3d lol

More info about the options and config file:

.CFG FILE OPTIONS:

First, see this link:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2oa.cfg

for complete explanation of options configurable by editing the cfg file. Of note are those:

ATOC: (Alpha To Coverage antialiasing) - makes distant trees look better (YMMV) by dithering the texture. Some hit on performance. It's a briliant solution though. You can get better performance by turning it off though. Default is ON.

ATOC ON:

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2607/7ad5mepz_png.htm

ATOC OFF:

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2607/qpnluwdg_png.htm

(credit to Brainbug)

FXAA/SMAA: This differs depending on if you use 1.60 retail patch or 1.61 beta patches.

Basically both are post-processing antialiasing, meaning the AA is done on a finished frame instead of during rendering like normal MSAA. Both are much less computing intensive than MSAA, and you don't have to have MSAA enabled to use it. Quite nice!

If you have non-beta 1.60:

use FXAA= (see link) and FXAASharp= (dtto) for antialiasing level and sharpening filter.

If you have latest beta 1.61(recommended! because of direct chat bug fix etc):

use PPAA= and PPAA_Level= (dtto).

Difference between FXAA and SMAA: FXAA applies a smart smoothing filter to whole rendered frame (detects textures and some edges not smoothing them) for a reasonable compromise between jagged and blurred, with optional post sharpening. SMAA applies a smarter filter which is a bit of hybrid between traditional AA and post-render FXAA.

performance hit (high>low): MSAA > SMAA > FXAA. I prefer SMAA and no MSAA myself.

INGAME options:

Post processing effects. Things like motion blur, Depth of Field shader, bloom, and SSAO (ambient occlusion).

to quote Maruk, BIS CEO:

"Disabled: color corrections only

Very Low: Disabled + filmGrain + radial blur + dynamic blur

Low: Very low + bloom + rotational blur + other scripted post process effects

Normal: Low + DOF + lowest SSAO

High: Normal + medium SSAO

VeryHigh: Normal + highest SSAO

Also, disabled - low primarily allows you to customize game appearance, Normal - Very High is heavily affecting performance but SSAO quality is the only difference."

"N°3

Video memory - Default

Set that sucker to default, Very High = 512MB default will detect if you've got higher."

Your advice is generally correct.

I've been having some graphic "gliches" since Vs1.5.6 that concerns only DayZ, vanila ArmAII works fine.

Some say that you must restart the game and /or use the "flush" command.

I can actually fix it in game by switching between default, high or even normal video memory.

I'm going to play around in ArmA to see if it has anything to do with the forced view distance/ fog implemented.

This is with 1.6 and the latest ArmA beta build.

Nvidea gtx460 1 giga.

I hope you don't mind me posting here but I thought it may help some people.

Thanks.

What additional exe parameters do I need to add along with "-mod=@dayz -nosplash" when using the Arma2OA beta?

You can find it in the "readme" file that comes with the beta.

I personally use Alpinestars ArmAII launcher, very easy to use.

It allows you to mix and load different mods as you wish.

You can find it over at ArmaHolic.

When you install the beta, it will create a shortcut to run Arma 2 OA Beta inside your Arma 2 install directory. You can open its properties and see the exact exe parameters. Best would be just to drag this shortcut to Desktop and add @dayz to the modline. Dunno about Steam though.

Also, in recent Betas the modline was split into two parts, one for Beta patch loading, second for Mod loading. It keeps the ingame Expansion menu working with Beta patches, meaning you can enable/disable mods ingame (nice when you play Arma2's other mods/maps not only @DayZ)

The complete line would be then:

-beta=(the stuff from beta) -mod=@dayz (plus optional parameters like -nosplash etc)

or just -beta=(...) -nosplash if you want to use ingame expansion menu to enable mods.

Obviously, this is supported only by 1.61 betas, not 1.6 retail

If anyone is playing with an ATI video card and experiencing poor performance (especially when zooming in with right click), you can lower the Scene Complexity.

I set mine as:

sceneComplexity=320000;

And haven't noticed any visual difference, but am able to zoom in without any stutters or FPS loss now.

mouseSmoothing=1;

makes you mouse way smoother probably the most effective tweak for increasing user response

THIS ^^ line is not in my file..?

You can find it in the "readme" file that comes with the beta.

I personally use Alpinestars ArmAII launcher' date=' very easy to use.

It allows you to mix and load different mods as you wish.

You can find it over at ArmaHolic.

[/quote']

So I just add " -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash" to the end of what I already have on my current steam exe?

Me and my brother share a computer and therefore share a copy of Arma2 and Dayz. when we go on our respective character profiles we still spawn as the same character on a Dayz server, is their a way to have multiple character profiles so we can play without ruining each others character? thanks any help would be really appreciated!

These are a collection of tweaks to help get you're DayZ installation running smoothly and still looking great if you don't have an awesome high end system.

I have

GTX 680 // 2500K @ 4.2GHz // 8GB 1600MHz RAM

I can barely run the game (in towns) at a solid 40+ fps. I manage 30-45 with everything but textures set to "normal" or "low" Postprocess Off, Shadows Off. ANd this is with Arma 2 Free and OA on steam.

QUESTION ABOUT THE commandlines or -nosplash kinda stuff, how can I do this using the SixUpdater? I cant boot DayZ using Steam (with the -nosplah and mod=@DayZ) I keep getting "cabuildingparts missing" when I use Steam. SixUpdater works tho. But cant add any nosplah or anything.

I got a question, I was going to go and play with Step 2; "Config file values." And there was nothing inside of my ArmA 2 Other Profiles folder, Anyone have any ideas?

I got a question' date=' I was going to go and play with Step 2; "Config file values." And there was nothing inside of my ArmA 2 Other Profiles folder, Anyone have any ideas?

[/quote']

the config file is in My Documents -> ArmA 2,not in ArmA2 Other Profiles

It is? The guide states "C:\Users\"your name"\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles" I think I see the file in question where you directed me. But ya just a lil confused with the conflicting statements.

I have

GTX 680 // 2500K @ 4.2GHz // 8GB 1600MHz RAM

I can barely run the game (in towns) at a solid 40+ fps. I manage 30-45 with everything but textures set to "normal" or "low" Postprocess Off' date=' Sh

[/quote']

I've got a Phenom II x6 @ 3.78ghz, 4 gigs ram @ 1750ish mhz with two 6850s in xfire OCd and I was hitting 44 fps max all the time till I added these launch options and tweaked my config as per this thread. I run everything at max minus post processing, and I have texture memory at default.

Now I hit 60 fps + sometimes dipping down to 45 but still way better than before.

Anyone can PM me if you want a copy of my config.

-mod=@DayZ -nosplash -cpuCount=6 -winxp -world=empty -maxmem=4096